Menu

Science Schedule?

Hi there!

This is a x-post from Logic boards, as they suggested I post here to the 'graduates'

I'm looking for a Science schedule, what is recommended each year by your district, or by your homeschooling curriculum of choice, or just simply your personal scheduling choice. Like Math is pretty hard & fast:

Algebra I

Geometry
Algebra II

Trig
Pre-Calc
Calc

Like that - is there a recommended schedule for middle school/high school? And as a mom of an almost 7th grader, what should I be doing science-wise for the rest of middle school to get us ready for high school? If I see where I should end up in high school, it can give me some idea of what we need to do now.

Thanks for any insight!!

What's most common in my part of Texas is something like this:

8th - General/Earth Science  or  Integrated Physics & Chemistry (IPC)

9th - Biology

10th - Chemistry

11th - Physics

12th - a focused science; i.e., Astronomy, Anatomy and Physiology, Environmental, Forensic, etc.

My DS is heading towards a ministry career, starting at community college first, so we did this:

9th - Earth Science

10th - IPC

11th - Biology

12th - TBD

At the middle school I went to and the local high school the track most people I know are doing is:

7th - Biology

8th - Physical Science

9th - Biology

10th - Environmental Science

11th - Chemistry

12th - Physics or an elective science (or no science course as here only biology, an environmental science, and one physical science are required)

Mine is:

7th - Biology

8th - Physical Science

9th - Biology 1

10th - Biology 2, Chemistry

11th - Physics

12th - Astronomy

The 7th grade biology course was taken at the public middle school and was basic cell kind of stuff and human biology. The 8th grade physical science was homeschooled. I think these were a nice preparation for my high school courses. It might've been nicer to do the biology course in 8th so I remembered more, but that would be a lot of biology in a row and I feel like I would've remembered the bass c information anyway if I had a better teacher. I split my Biology into two parts because I'm doing a ton of work with it. The main thing I used for part 1 was called Introduction to Mollecular and Cellular Biology, and for the 2nd Introduction to Evolutionary Biology and Ecology. 

I'll end up with 5 science credits, at least 3 being w/ lab (not sure about physics and astronomy yet).

It does depend on what math she's in. I know kids who want do to calculus based physics and don't have it before 12th so wait for physics until then.

My daughter did the following sciences while in high school.

9th: Physical Science
10th: Chemistry (Lab)
11th: G 101: Earth's Dynamic Interior (Lab)
11th: G 102 Earth's Dynamic Surface (Lab)
11th: G 146: Rocks and Minerals (Lab)
12th: ENVS 181: Terrestrial Science (Lab)

We allowed her to study the sciences that interested her at the community college in 11th and 12th grades (namely Geology and Environmental Science) rather than mandating that she study the more traditional Biology.  She went on to major in Latin and minor in Geology at the four year college she subsequently attended.

Regards,

Kareni

I would like to add that a lot of people worry about what area of science they should be doing for middle school, as well as which curriculum they should use.  I really do not think it matters a great deal.  I would concentrate on the SKILLS your child needs to do well in science, including reading and studying from a textbook (or any text you use), completing experiments (nothing fancy), writing formal lab reports (these do not have to be perfect, but should include a hypthesis and reasoning through why the experiment did.didn't turn out like you expected), and studying for exams to make sure they are retaining information.

For my oldest, we did the Apologia biology and chemistry in middle school, and he started with AP Chem in 9th grade, followed by AP Physics this year.  However, my dd will just be starting Apologia biology in 8th grade, and will likely NOT take as many AP science classes as ds.  But they will have learned the above skills in middle school :001_smile: .

typical AZ for college prep:

7th Earth Science - pretty boring if you ask me

8th Physical Science and Biology

9th Biology

10th Chemistry

11th Physics

12th  some AP class in above if science oriented

since homeschooling try the Physical Science and Biology by 8th to gage interest then you can modify the HS path to the more Physical Sciences earlier or the Biological

(I was in an honors group who took Physics in 10th grade and this influenced my future choice of Engineering, HS Biology was my Senior year and I got an A+ without that much effort all at a public school)

Middle school should be about learning the scientific method.

We're doing RSO Chemistry (Lite) right now 6th grade. Combining with my youngers. Learning a lot and having fun. Thinking of maybe RSO Biology II next year for 7th... I like the idea of 'introducing' all the concepts early on, to then come back to them in more depth by high school.

Any Physical Science suggestions?

My oldest did:

8th: physical science

9th: biology

10th: chemistry

11th: physics and marine biology

12th: equine science

Youngest has done:

8th: physical science

9th: biology

next year for 10th, she will either do genetics or conceptual physics

Physical Science suggestions?  Oldest used Apologia.  Youngest used Abeka

My oldest, not going on in science student will have:

Physical Science with Lab

Robotics/Engineering with Lab

Biology with Lab

My  youngest, might go on in science will have:

Biology with lab

Chem with lab

Physics with lab

Possibly advanced bio/chem/physics (one of those)

Where I'm at currently they do Integrated Science for Middle School.

The state recommends:

9th Earth/Space

10th Biology

11th either Chemistry or AP Bio or Environmental Science (AP?)

12th which ever you didn't take in 11th.

Only 3 classes 2 with labs are required for a full diploma.

What we're doing (as of right now)

6th- Earth Science

7th Biology

8th Environmental Science (covering some of the last 2 years)

9th Chemistry/lab (maybe with a CLEP?)

10th Biology/lab (either CLEP or AP test)

11th Physics at CC

12th what ever he wants that he can get College credit for 

Depending where we're at I may graduate him after 11th grade, so I'll count Env. Science as a H.S. course. If he can pass English Comp, Pre-Calc, and Physics at CC in 11th that is.