Menu

Hi All,

I thought I'd let you know about my continued math adventures since I know at least a few of you are considering Geometry for next year.  Based on a number of reviews and other considerations I've decided to give Wilson Hill Academy a try for Geometry next Fall.  The fact that they use Jurgensen (ISBN-13: 978-0395977279) which is a great classical Geometry text helps to make the decision easier.  WHA is a relatively new school.  But their teachers are very well known and regarded in the homeschool community.  Leslie Smith will be teaching their Geometry course which meets for 1.5 hours twice a week live. 

I know at least one other WTM member has signed her sons up for the course as well.  So if nothing else I'll report back to the hive after we start the course.  For those who may be interested their M/W Fall class is starting to fill up.
  • Like 4

I was just reading your posts on the HS board about WHA and its geometry course. Did you buy both the textbook and solutions manual yet?

I just checked a couple of local high schools in N. Cal., both apparently having excellent reputations, and they use Jurgensen, although one uses the 1987 edition and the other the same one that you linked above.

• Like 1

I was just reading your posts on the HS board about WHA and its geometry course. Did you buy both the textbook and solutions manual yet?

I just checked a couple of local high schools in N. Cal., both apparently having excellent reputations, and they use Jurgensen, although one uses the 1987 edition and the other the same one that you linked above.

Hi crazyforlatin,

I did not purchase the solutions manual yet.  But I do have the text which is a great book.  I will probably wait a bit longer on the solutions manual,  But I am pretty sure I will order this text: ISBN-13: 9780395677667.  

Regarding the editions, I compared the 2000 to the 1997 versions and they appear virtually identical in terms of content.  You can actually check it out from Open Library here: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7467926M/Geometry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I signed dd up for the M/W Wilson Hill class.  I think you can take a lot of credit for that class being almost full, Derek! ;)  They knew all about the chatter over here. :)

One thing that came up that I thought I'd give others a heads-up on, and which may or may not end up being a problem for me - the class requires a tablet w/ stylus - they specifically mentioned the Bamboo pen, which works with an iPad.  I do not have an iPad, but I do have a Windows tablet with a stylus, and I am strongly hoping that this will do the trick - because if it doesn't, the class is suddenly hundreds of dollars more expensive!!

I did not see this mentioned anywhere on the website, it only came up when talking to them in person, so I thought I should mention it here.  They are supposed to get back to me this week on whether my tablet/stylus will do the trick.  I'm hoping rather fervently that since this is over the internet, as long as dd can 'write' with the stylus in the browser, it should be okay.  I sure hope they haven't decided to use some Apple-dependent app to run the course...

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention some really awesome news... when talking to the teacher, I also confirmed that they are definitely working on a way to have the teacher grade the proofs!!! :hurray: :hurray:   The parent would still be responsible for grading the 'regular' homework with straightforward answers, but the students will be able to submit the proofs to the teacher for correction.  Since Jurgensen is supposed to be a proof-heavy text, this is extra-awesome news. :D

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot to mention some really awesome news... when talking to the teacher, I also confirmed that they are definitely working on a way to have the teacher grade the proofs!!! :hurray: :hurray: The parent would still be responsible for grading the 'regular' homework with straightforward answers, but the students will be able to submit the proofs to the teacher for correction. Since Jurgensen is supposed to be a proof-heavy text, this is extra-awesome news. :D

That's very good news! We're not quite ready for geometry this year, but it's a relief to know that there is a class that uses a rigorous text that has teacher support.

Oh, I forgot to mention some really awesome news... when talking to the teacher, I also confirmed that they are definitely working on a way to have the teacher grade the proofs!!! :hurray: :hurray:   The parent would still be responsible for grading the 'regular' homework with straightforward answers, but the students will be able to submit the proofs to the teacher for correction.  Since Jurgensen is supposed to be a proof-heavy text, this is extra-awesome news. :D

Wow, that's at least four WTMF kids, probably more, that will be taking this class together this Fall.  Glad to hear it, Matryoshka!  It was actually Yvonne who told me about it and has signed up her twin boys for the same M/W class.

I contacted Nancy Donaldson, the school director, today about the pen question you had.  She is looking into it and will get back.  But she is almost certain it does not require an expensive tablet.  If you hear any update before I do then please post to the forum.

Thanks,

Wow, that's at least four WTMF kids, probably more, that will be taking this class together this Fall.  Glad to hear it, Matryoshka!  It was actually Yvonne who told me about it and has signed up her twin boys for the same M/W class.

And dd's IRL friend just signed up too. :)  Her mom's a lurker here (who I keep hoping will join us for real, hint hint :) ) so that's at least 5 now. :D  My friend said her dd made 15 in the class, so at least 1/3!  Anyone else with us?

I contacted Nancy Donaldson, the school director, today about the pen question you had.  She is looking into it and will get back.  But she is almost certain it does not require an expensive tablet.  If you hear any update before I do then please post to the forum.

Nancy Donaldson was the person who was supposed to get back to me, but I still haven't heard back from her with a definitive answer.  I did get contacted by a WH teacher who gave me some more provisional info, at least.  She said there was a Wacom Bamboo tablet/pen combo one could buy that was under $100 (she owns it) but she didn't have the exact model at hand - she's supposed to get back to me as well, and I'll share as soon as I hear. :)  But what I personally am waiting to hear is if my existing Windows tablet will work, as $0 is still a way better price than <$100!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And dd's IRL friend just signed up too. :)  Her mom's a lurker here (who I keep hoping will join us for real, hint hint :) ) so that's at least 5 now. :D  My friend said her dd made 15 in the class, so at least 1/3!  Anyone else with us?

Nancy Donaldson was the person who was supposed to get back to me, but I still haven't heard back from her with a definitive answer.  I did get contacted by a WH teacher who gave me some more provisional info, at least.  She said there was a Wacom Bamboo tablet/pen combo one could buy that was under $100 (she owns it) but she didn't have the exact model at hand - she's supposed to get back to me as well, and I'll share as soon as I hear. :)  But what I personally am waiting to hear is if my existing Windows tablet will work, as $0 is still a way better price than <$100!

Matryoshka, 

I don't know if you heard from Nancy.  But here is the recommendation I just got from Leslie, the teacher of the course: 

Hi Derek,

I am sorry to be slow replying, but I have been in Hawaii this week on vacation. Here is the link for the pen that is being recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touch-Small-Tablet/dp/B00EN27U9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404844132&sr=8-1&keywords=wacom+intuos

Let me know if you have further questions.

Leslie

I think this is the one we will get since it looks pretty well reviewed.  

BTW, the associated 'Geometry: Solution Key' is confirmed to be ISBN 9780395677667.

• Like 1

Matryoshka, 

I don't know if you heard from Nancy.  But here is the recommendation I just got from Leslie, the teacher of the course: 

Hi Derek,

I am sorry to be slow replying, but I have been in Hawaii this week on vacation. Here is the link for the pen that is being recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touch-Small-Tablet/dp/B00EN27U9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404844132&sr=8-1&keywords=wacom+intuos

Let me know if you have further questions.

Leslie

I think this is the one we will get since it looks pretty well reviewed.  

BTW, the associated 'Geometry: Solution Key' is confirmed to be ISBN 9780395677667.

Hi Derek,

I'd been in contact with a teacher from WH - she'd said then that the pen I have should work - that as long as the pen writes on the tablet, I should be fine.  Hope this is true!

Do you think we'll actually need the solutions guide, now that they say the teacher will be correcting the proofs?  The answers to the odds are in the back... The solutions guide is $80 and the used ones are mostly more expensive than that!  WHY is it that the solutions guides are consistently more expensive than the texts themselves??

• 4 months later...

How is the class going? Since several of you are enrolled, I thought I would post a reply rather than sending each of you a message.

Thank you.

Jane, 

Its been going very well.  My son is really enjoying the course.  As a result we are considering continuing next year with WHA for Algebra 2.  Here is my response to another thread asking how things are going:

I hesitated to post earlier as we had just begun and it was too early to give a reasonable assessment.  ds13 really likes his Geometry class and is doing well in it.  He likes the way the teacher, Leslie Smith, explains the math concepts.  We appreciate that she provides grading of the proofs which is one of the main reasons I wanted to outsource Geometry.  Another strong plus for WHA is the use of highly esteemed classic math texts.  In the case of Geometry Jurgensen is used which is excellent!  It starts with proofs really early on and masterfully weaves them throughout the book.   

I had originally thought about going the Derek Owens route.  But the reviews of his Geometry course seemed to be mixed with some having significant problems with it.  Consequently I explored other options.  Jann in Texas' Geometry didn't seem as proof intensive and she doesn't grade them either.  But maybe grading proofs would easier in that case with less of an emphasis on them.  I was torn because I'm wasn't thrilled with the Holt Geometry text and the idea of proofs not being as central to the course.  Jurgensen seemed like a much more solid text and presentation of the Geometric concepts overall.  Now that we're well into the first half of the course I am very glad with this choice.

For algebra 2 next year I've heard great things about the WHA teacher, Anne Stublen, and her course.  So we most likely will continue.  They use Dolciani for their Algebra I & II.  Though I wouldn't be opposed to considering Derek Owens as I've heard very good reviews of his other courses.  It's just that with WHA we now have found a good groove and unless that changes I'm leaning toward following their program. 

Can you give me some feedback on the religious content of the Geometry class? I understand it is a Christian centered program and teaches from a biblical worldview, but I am wondering how this comes through in the Geometry class.

Thank you!

Hi Apple,

You are correct in that it is a Christian based academy.  They start each class with a word of prayer.  Beyond that it's a math course which is really the primary emphasis vs. theology or something else.  So I think it works well for both Christians and those who are not as long as they do not object to starting with prayer.  To be quite honest I have not thought a lot about that aspect of it since my primary objective was finding a solid Geometry course.  ds13 will eventually be attending our local CC which is definitely secular.  Still I like that they do start with prayer.  That is something I enjoyed while attending a private Christian college.

• 1 month later...

Just to make sure I understand...the parent will be responsible for some of the grading?

I think I would want to just do everything at that point. Maybe I'm too all or nothing, but if I'm paying for a class, I don't want to be grading the work....hmm....

@AppleGreen @Woodland Mist Academy -- You raise some excellent questions about the religious content of the Wilson Hill Academy geometry class as well as all others.  Let me try to elaborate.

First, with respect to your specific question of whether students are required to "participate in the prayer", it is not clear to me how we would enforce any such policy if we were to adopt it.  God is God, and He sees our hearts ... I do not think enforcing hypocrisy is honoring God or respecting the individual involved.  But as it turns out, we do not even try to enforce any sort of "participation"

A more complex question is that of what it means to teach geometry (or anything else) from a Christian worldview.  We all have a "worldview", which in shorthand can be defined as the set of assumptions that underlie the way we approach reality.  As Christians, we believe that God created the heavens and the earth out of nothing; that God has revealed Himself to us not only in the scriptures, but in the whole of creation; that since God is characterized by truth, beauty and goodness, we expect to see those attributes reflected in His creation - yet imperfectly because of the fall and its effects; that all truth is God's truth, and that since God Himself is immutable, it is possible to study His creation in reliance on patterns such as those that make up the study of geometry.  So teaching geometry from a "Christian worldview" is simply acknowledging that geometry "works" in some sense precisely because God is God.  It is no accident, and a chaotic world in which geometry does not work can easily be imagined.  There will be times when the instructor will refer to this general truth of Christianity during class, but the focus of the class is on geometry.  We do not in any way trivialize God by trying to create some sort of "Christian geometry" (in opposition to secular geometry?), nor do we attempt to trivialize the truth goodness and beauty of the subject itself by (for instance) expounding on the triangle as a geometric expression of the trinity.  Our goal is to prepare students to think Christianly about all of life; engaging with the issues that present themselves (geometric or otherwise) without fear of compromise.

What does that mean for an unbelieving student?  We hope and pray that exposure to God's truth ... including the truth as represented by the study of geometry ... will lead him or her to consider the full claims of God and his suzerainty over all creation.  We also hope that our approach will reveal the lie that Christians somehow have to check their brains at the door of the church.  Truth is truth; God is God; and geometry is geometry.  As Christians we know why geometry works at a very basic level, but any geometry student at WHA will be well-grounded in geometry without necessarily having to agree with the worldview of the teacher.  A christian student, in the other hand, will be equipped not only to handle geometry, but to handle the unbelieving worldview of teachers he or she may encounter in college or later in life.

I hope that addresses your questions and concerns.  Feel free to contact us (or me) through our website www.WilsonHillAcademy.com or here if you have further questions.

- Bob Donaldson

Co-Founder

Wilson Hill Academy

• Like 5

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.  I appreciate your openness. It sounds like Wilson Hill's goals and values are not in line with ours, which has made my decision easier.

Wilson Hill has been a success for at least a few posters on this board. Perhaps your reply will be helpful to others as well.  It's good so many options exist.

Thanks, again.

ETA: See update downthread...

• Like 3

Just to make sure I understand...the parent will be responsible for some of the grading?

I think I would want to just do everything at that point. Maybe I'm too all or nothing, but if I'm paying for a class, I don't want to be grading the work....hmm....

Woodland Mist Academy,

I asked Bob for more info on your first question and he answered directly in the forum which is great.  Thanks, Bob!

Although it sounds like you've made a decision I thought I would respond to your second question since others may be interested in it as well.  Our ds13 is 99% independent in his Geometry course including doing his homework and getting his questions answered from the instructor during class time.  His job is to complete his homework and rework any problems he gets wrong.  The only part my wife does is to turn in his homework which if he completes and then reworks problems counts as full credit.  If not fully complete, which it normally is, she would deduct a percentage of the grade.  In addition the instructor grades the proofs as well as all quizzes and tests.  I hope that clears things up regarding grading.

BTW, if you end up selecting TIP or some other program let us know how it goes.  This forum is a great source of information for the homeschool community at large from a great variety of backgrounds.  I hope you find the best Geometry program for your dc.

• Like 3

@AppleGreen @Woodland Mist Academy -- You raise some excellent questions about the religious content of the Wilson Hill Academy geometry class as well as all others.  Let me try to elaborate.

First, with respect to your specific question of whether students are required to "participate in the prayer", it is not clear to me how we would enforce any such policy if we were to adopt it.  God is God, and He sees our hearts ... I do not think enforcing hypocrisy is honoring God or respecting the individual involved.  But as it turns out, we do not even try to enforce any sort of "participation"

A more complex question is that of what it means to teach geometry (or anything else) from a Christian worldview.  We all have a "worldview", which in shorthand can be defined as the set of assumptions that underlie the way we approach reality.  As Christians, we believe that God created the heavens and the earth out of nothing; that God has revealed Himself to us not only in the scriptures, but in the whole of creation; that since God is characterized by truth, beauty and goodness, we expect to see those attributes reflected in His creation - yet imperfectly because of the fall and its effects; that all truth is God's truth, and that since God Himself is immutable, it is possible to study His creation in reliance on patterns such as those that make up the study of geometry.  So teaching geometry from a "Christian worldview" is simply acknowledging that geometry "works" in some sense precisely because God is God.  It is no accident, and a chaotic world in which geometry does not work can easily be imagined.  There will be times when the instructor will refer to this general truth of Christianity during class, but the focus of the class is on geometry.  We do not in any way trivialize God by trying to create some sort of "Christian geometry" (in opposition to secular geometry?), nor do we attempt to trivialize the truth goodness and beauty of the subject itself by (for instance) expounding on the triangle as a geometric expression of the trinity.  Our goal is to prepare students to think Christianly about all of life; engaging with the issues that present themselves (geometric or otherwise) without fear of compromise.

What does that mean for an unbelieving student?  We hope and pray that exposure to God's truth ... including the truth as represented by the study of geometry ... will lead him or her to consider the full claims of God and his suzerainty over all creation.  We also hope that our approach will reveal the lie that Christians somehow have to check their brains at the door of the church.  Truth is truth; God is God; and geometry is geometry.  As Christians we know why geometry works at a very basic level, but any geometry student at WHA will be well-grounded in geometry without necessarily having to agree with the worldview of the teacher.  A christian student, in the other hand, will be equipped not only to handle geometry, but to handle the unbelieving worldview of teachers he or she may encounter in college or later in life.

I hope that addresses your questions and concerns.  Feel free to contact us (or me) through our website www.WilsonHillAcademy.com or here if you have further questions.

- Bob Donaldson

Co-Founder

Wilson Hill Academy

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. As a Jewish homeschooler, I am wondering if there is overtly Christian content in the course, versus a more deistic or theistic general worldview. Again, I appreciate your openness. 

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. As a Jewish homeschooler, I am wondering if there is overtly Christian content in the course, versus a more deistic or theistic general worldview. Again, I appreciate your openness. 

Hi, SeaConquest.  I will give you our perspective as parents and student.  The Geometry course is first and foremost Geometry based upon the Jurgensen text which is excellent.  Beyond the morning prayer there may be a mention of God and/or Jesus 'on occasion' as Bob mentioned in his trinity/triangle example.  But the focus really is Geometry from a daily perspective.  There are no supplemental religious materials, test questions, theological discussions, etc... Nor is there a statement of faith one must sign as far as I can see but rather a code of conduct and mutual respect to follow.  I would think this would be very similar to many who take classes at private Catholic schools who are not Catholic.  You are aware of the schools background but not required nor compelled to adopt their religious viewpoints.  Although I haven't listened to the morning prayer I can imagine there would be an occasional mention of terms used in the Christian faith.  If you are ok with that I think it becomes a non-issue or at most an interesting topic of conversation describing what other religions believe.  I hope this helps some.  Blessings to your family.

• Like 2

Hi, SeaConquest.  I will give you our perspective as parents and student.  The Geometry course is first and foremost Geometry based upon the Jurgensen text which is excellent.  Beyond the morning prayer there may be a mention of God and/or Jesus 'on occasion' as Bob mentioned in his trinity/triangle example.  But the focus really is Geometry from a daily perspective.  There are no supplemental religious materials, test questions, theological discussions, etc... Nor is there a statement of faith one must sign as far as I can see but rather a code of conduct and mutual respect to follow.  I would think this would be very similar to many who take classes at private Catholic schools who are not Catholic.  You are aware of the schools background but not required nor compelled to adopt their religious viewpoints.  Although I haven't listened to the morning prayer I can imagine there would be an occasional mention of terms used in the Christian faith.  If you are ok with that I think it becomes a non-issue or at most an interesting topic of conversation describing what other religions believe.  I hope this helps some.  Blessings to your family.

Thank you, Derek. We are a long way from Geometry at the moment, but this is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If there is an award for the most indecisive poster, I've think I've got a good shot at it! 

Is there a short clip of the Wilson Hill classes anywhere to see how they are set up? I'd love to see the geometry specifically...

I think I found one or two before signing up last year.  Here is are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78kdBqppLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yitswq-dzRs

Keep in mind  each class will be a little different depending on how the teacher sets things up.  But they are very interactive with the live feedback.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.  I appreciate your openness. It sounds like Wilson Hill's goals and values are not in line with ours, which has made my decision easier.

Wilson Hill has been a success for at least a few posters on this board. Perhaps your reply will be helpful to others as well.  It's good so many options exist.

Thanks, again.

ETA: See update downthread...

After further contemplation and research, I think what I wrote about our goals and values not being in line might have been an overstatement. I think that in many ways, our goals and values are more alike than they are different... I was responding to the blatant differences rather than trying to actually see the common ground...

• Like 2

After further contemplation and research, I think what I wrote about our goals and values not being in line might have been an overstatement. I think that in many ways, our goals and values are more alike than they are different... I was responding to the blatant differences rather than trying to actually see the common ground...

I think with mutual respect and humility we can an all learn from each other.  And that is the tone of the WHA teacher and classroom in our experience.  BTW, I noticed classes are already filling up.  My son's Algebra 2 appears to be on waiting list only now.  That was fast!  Apparently the word has been getting out.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi crazyforlatin,

I did not purchase the solutions manual yet. But I do have the text which is a great book. I will probably wait a bit longer on the solutions manual, But I am pretty sure I will order this text: ISBN-13: 9780395677667.

Regarding the editions, I compared the 2000 to the 1997 versions and they appear virtually identical in terms of content. You can actually check it out from Open Library here: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7467926M/Geometry.

I'm quoting Derek, but anyone who has purchased the solution manual can answer the question.

Is $75 reasonable for the solution key? Is it cheaper directly via publisher - sort of like Foerster/Oasis?

Just curious if

I'm quoting Derek, but anyone who has purchased the solution manual can answer the question.

Is $75 reasonable for the solution key? Is it cheaper directly via publisher - sort of like Foerster/Oasis?

Just curious if

I didn't try from the publisher.  It could very well be cheaper if you find a way to do that.  Instead, I found a good used one for $61 last year.  That still seemed too high.  But it has been useful for ds13's class.  

• Like 1