Menu

Homeschool teen kicked out of local prom because the male chaperones found her too sexy

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that story also.  And I agree that it was horrible. 

My younger daughter was that kid at so many homeschool events. Long legs, slender and cute.  She always met the dress code and she was always criticized for how she was dressed. It was stressful for her and infuriating for me, one year we shopped at four stores to find shorts with the requested inseam length and she was still not allowed to wear them. rrrrrrr

One comment she kept getting was that she was 'giving the boys ideas', I got fed up and called the last woman who said that and told her that 'boys already come with ideas' and to stop blaming my daughter.  This was before I understood the true depth of the rape culture in America. I think I would be even more upset now. 

Staggers.the.imagination! They are the pervs who are so driven below the waist they can't keep their minds out of the gutter and SHE is the one with the problem??? Sick! I'd be so ashamed of the males in my family if they acted that way.

The description of the dads hanging out over the balcony looking down when they were supposed to be actively chaperoning is highly inappropriate. It smacks of being there only to ogle and harrass the girls.

I hope that's not real.  Talk about ridiculous.

It is just all too likely to be real in my opinion. It is ridiculous. 

I also saw the post this comes from and it sounded so so familiar.  I lived this with one child.

With one particular adult woman I just kept waiting for it to resolve.  Finally I had to call in her supervisor (she was a leader of an extracurricular organization) and threaten them with escalation to the state level. They agreed not to have this woman discuss clothing or behavior with my daughter and referred my daughter over to another leader.  I regret waiting so long to deal with it. 

This is the slow drip of rape culture that leads to abuse (physical and verbal) and to girls who decide that somehow they deserve it. 

Ummmmm if the adult male found her to be too tempting, maybe HE should have been the one to leave- you know, go meet with his pastor or something. A man with those urges has no business being around children.

:iagree:

Or why couldn't they just keep their thoughts to themselves?  I manage it.  Enjoy the view...shut up...stop being a dope.

:iagree:

This is why I hate people. 

:lol:  :lol:

So, now as she graduates high school and leaves home, she has a lasting impression of how she wants to view the religion in which she was raised. Maybe what they did is really good because this impressionable time she really will expand her thinking beyond the narrowmindedness.

My 16 yo dd has this problem as well.  She is short (4'10"), fit and has large booKs (36C or D depending on the bra)  No matter what swim suit she wears, the attention goes straight for her chest.  She has worn swim team suits that show massive side-booK, she has worn old fashioned swimsuits that should look matronly but look like Marilyn Monroe and she has tried to wear rash guards and board shorts but the rash guards that fit over her chest are huge in the neck and arms.  No matter what she does I have had many moms & church leaders come to me to tell me that the dads think she is going to give the young men the wrong ideas.  I point out that her attire meets the standards of the event and I tell them that if they make her uncomfortable about her body because of their issues I will raise an unholy stink and name their husbands as perverts.  No adult has ever said anything to her.  Just to me.

People can be jerks

Amber in SJ

The description of the dads hanging out over the balcony looking down when they were supposed to be actively chaperoning is highly inappropriate. It smacks of being there only to ogle and harrass the girls.

This.  

Quite the strategic vantage point they chose, eh?   :glare:

It is just all too likely to be real in my opinion. It is ridiculous. 

I also saw the post this comes from and it sounded so so familiar.  I lived this with one child.

With one particular adult woman I just kept waiting for it to resolve.  Finally I had to call in her supervisor (she was a leader of an extracurricular organization) and threaten them with escalation to the state level. They agreed not to have this woman discuss clothing or behavior with my daughter and referred my daughter over to another leader.  I regret waiting so long to deal with it. 

This is the slow drip of rape culture that leads to abuse (physical and verbal) and to girls who decide that somehow they deserve it. 

:hurray: I will keep your plan in mind if I ever have any more bad experiences.

So sorry your daughter had problems. :grouphug: 

I am sad for the girl and for her date. The people in charge should have been more responsible and they should have behaved as mature adults...

Thank you for being a real man. 

I would go apeSh** crazy if someone treated my dd like that, if I had a dd...or my son's date, if he had a date. 

My 16 yo dd has this problem as well.  She is short (4'10"), fit and has large booKs (36C or D depending on the bra)  No matter what swim suit she wears, the attention goes straight for her chest.  She has worn swim team suits that show massive side-booK, she has worn old fashioned swimsuits that should look matronly but look like Marilyn Monroe and she has tried to wear rash guards and board shorts but the rash guards that fit over her chest are huge in the neck and arms.  No matter what she does I have had many moms & church leaders come to me to tell me that the dads think she is going to give the young men the wrong ideas.  I point out that her attire meets the standards of the event and I tell them that if they make her uncomfortable about her body because of their issues I will raise an unholy stink and name their husbands as perverts.  No adult has ever said anything to her.  Just to me.

People can be jerks

Amber in SJ

:hurray:  GO MOM!  I have one DD that is very obviously female-shaped. She actually cries trying on clothes- not much cute stuff fits her well, and it takes many hours in many stores to find clothes since she can't wear most hand-me-downs from older sis.  And she DOES have a "matronly" swimsuit- and totally rocks the Marilyn Monroe look. Homeschool groups with "modest" dress codes might as well just re-write the code to say "Bazooms not welcome here" and kick girls out at puberty. :glare:

You'd think if they wanted a more conservative dress code they would have stipulated a more conservative dress code. Kind of too late once the kid shows up in a dress and you realize your dress code wasn't conservative enough, poor kid.

This.

A slim, leggy, blonde 17yo in a fitted, sparkly dress looks sexy. Wow, who'da thunk it?

Ridiculous.

We did deal with some of these attitudes in our homeschool group. My girls are attractive, and I didn't reinforce a strict "you can never look anything other than matronly" policy. We were definitely the black sheep of our CHEF group. I find it pretty ironic that a lot of the most conservative families have had children get into a lot of trouble with the law, drug troubles, pregnancies out of wedlock, etc. Those that wouldn't have begun to give us the time of day when we were involved in the group are now begging not to be ostracized. It's a bit ironic really.

I have a tall, curvy, blond who looks like a swimsuit model in gym shorts (the big boxy kind not volleyball kind) and a t-shirt. She is extremely introverted and does not dress to attract attention. She just happens to do so if she dresses other than matronly. If that happened to my daughter, I would be naming names. 

You'd think if they wanted a more conservative dress code they would have stipulated a more conservative dress code.  Kind of too late once the kid shows up in a dress and you realize your dress code wasn't conservative enough, poor kid.

But I think it's more that the dress code wasn't okay for this one girl than that it wasn't okay overall.  They targeted her for looking good.  Because it's her responsibility to cover up above and beyond what others have to do because she's tall and leggy and curvy.  Except it isn't.  They're the ones who have the responsibility.

Maybe they should have said everyone needs to show up in a burlap sack with a paper bag over their head.

or a burqa.

No, just give all the post-pubescent males blindfolds. Poor dears can't help themselves.

My guess based on nothing but my tiny brain--

This girl was and envelope pusher.  You don't write an article titled "F the Patriarchy" your first time out the gate.

She had probably had "issues" with the adults in the group before.

Because of that, she was under extra scrutiny and they did not feel bad about kicking her out.

Again, just my guess.

This girl was and envelope pusher.  You don't write an article titled "F the Patriarchy" your first time out the gate.

Because of that, she was under extra scrutiny and they did not feel bad about kicking her out.

Again, just my guess.

You may be right..of course most 'envelope pushers' get to that point for a reason.

Yes, sometime teens have repeated issues with adults...of course one of those parties is a 'teen' and one is an 'adult'  

I'm sure they did not feel bad about kicking her out. They might even have known in advance that they would have a problem and 'have' to kick her out. She may have been confrontational in the past and they were going to punish it at prom.  I am basing this on nothing but speculation and having the misfortune to meet people who really would do that.

Her response of "F the Patriacrchy" warms my heart.  Go her. :)

Neither of us know because we don't know the people involved.  I've just had a few wake up calls.

You'd think if they wanted a more conservative dress code they would have stipulated a more conservative dress code.  Kind of too late once the kid shows up in a dress and you realize your dress code wasn't conservative enough, poor kid.

Exactly.  If there was a detailed dress code in place, there is no reason to have sent her home.  Next year implement a strict dress code if the dress bothers them so much.  The dress covered her, so it wasn't a matter of indecency.  The child shouldn't have been punished for the lack of detail in laying out a clear and detailed dress code.  

As for the dancing, it too should be spelled out clearly.  If the chaperones are that concerned with specific dancing and dress, I'm wondering why they let their children attend - and why they are there.  There's no video of her dancing, but if it was too overly provocative, then have a female chaperone ask her to tone it down some.  Don't send the poor girl home.

I saw many local high school couples having dinner on their prom night.  The dresses were lovely, but far more "sexy" than the one of the homeschooled girl.

Seriously.  Can you imagine being the woman they made do their dirty work??  Talk about an awkward conversation!

Hey Moxie, I'm not trying to single you out :001_smile: , but so many of the things you are mentioning are the things I tried to tell myself and my dd for years.  I look back with a ton of regret that I did not take her complaints seriously enough and that I rationalized the adult behavior away. 

I am proud of my daughter and of this girl for having the courage to rage against the system.  :001_smile:

No I am not sorry for this woman. She is a ADULT, she had apparent and immediate AUTHORITY. shame on her!

Again, just my guess.

We really just know one side of the story. I think Moxie makes  a good point here. I have been to homeschool dances before and dress code is a big deal and a huge pain to enforce. Some moms really take it seriously. They have bought into the whole "these poor teen boys will stumble if we don't sufficiently cover up the girls". However, I'd be interested in hearing the chaperones side of the story. It is possible this girl is exaggerating. We don't know.

Ridiculous.

We did deal with some of these attitudes in our homeschool group. My girls are attractive, and I didn't reinforce a strict "you can never look anything other than matronly" policy. We were definitely the black sheep of our CHEF group. 

It has also been my experience that the pretty girls with the cute, desirable shapes get treated unfairly with dress code enforcement. 

People can be jerks

Amber in SJ

I think this is the way to combat this type of chaperone attitude. Name names.Why not? Stand behind your beliefs! Do these men really want to admit they were turned on by a teen girl? Which ones, specifically, had a problem? You might suddenly realize that they don't hold these beliefs so strongly anymore. 

Even if this story is slightly inaccurate, this type of dysfunctional attitude exists elsewhere. Interestingly, when I've seen it, it is the *women* that object most strongly under the belief that they "want to protect their teen sons." Ewww. I would think they poor sons would be mortified if they knew what their moms were saying and doing.

Having said all this, dress codes are a huge pain to enforce. Even reasonable dress codes. If you didn't have one, you'd end up with some kids coming in some ridiculous, unquestionabley offensive clothing. Then, they'd get mad because "there wasn't a dress code." Really, the chaperones can't win. Common sense should prevail, but often it doesn't.

I write or say F * ck the patriarchy on a daily basis and I've never been in trouble for anything in my life. And regardless! Her sister (whose blog it is) is obviously correct.

Imagine being these guy's WIVES.

"Babe that 17 year old at the dance was soooo sexy I had her kicked out. Only the uggos could remain b/c I'm not responsible for my own boner, as YOU WELL KNOW."

raaage

:laugh: :lol: :hurray:

Did the males have a problem?  Or did "Mrs. D" have a problem with the male attention being on her?  I think that Mrs. D may have been the only one with an issue - and possibly an old axe to grind.  Just because she blamed the excuse for having her leave on "the dads" doesn't make it so.

It sounds to me like a prudish old bat had a jealousy issue with the pretty young girl.