Menu

Reviews of Teaching Textbooks 3rd grade

I have been doing R&S with my 8 yr old son since well, forever. He's going to be in third grade next year and I'm thinking about switching him to Teaching Textbooks. I have heard good things from my friend who also has been using it since first grade. Any other reviews would be helpful (good or bad) before we jump in with both feet. Thanks!

Kyla

Make sure you do a placement test to get him in the right level. He might place a year or 2 ahead. Teaching Textbooks moves at a slower pace. I've used it with 2 of my kids, and will have all 3 using it next year.  We've liked it, but I know many people on here loathe it. You might have your son do a practice lesson online before buying it. 

Kelly

It's ok.  I don't know if it's below grade level or if rather other materials are above grade level but it is definitely easier/below other curriculum. So yes, DO the placement test.  I put my mathy boy at grade level b/c he had lost his confidence in his mathematical abilities and it was a good fit for that purpose.  He's 2/3 the way through it and has all been mostly review.   I think the lessons are a bit predictable and dry, but my boy isn't complaining. I really do like that it is independent. :) 

I'm using TT3 for the third time with my third child!  We use TT a year ahead (we did at grade level for awhile until realizing it's behind what they need to know for standardized testing), so I'm using it with my 2nd grader.  Def. do the placement test.  I would be surprised it your son placed in TT3.

By the way I pair TT with Cuisenaire Rods (tutorials can be found at Education Unboxed).  Also, we don't even use the CD ROM for TT3, but I read the lectures with my chilld incorporating the rods.  I also have dc use the rods as manipalatives doing their workbook (I sit with them for this) until I'm sure they understand the concepts and they don't feel they need them anymore.  Usually it becomes quicker to do the problems without them and they're done.  

My older children us it much more independently.  I love TT for that.  :hurray:

I agree with the placement test.  We did use TT3 specifically and I was happy with the program and my Son's progress and retention.  The only thing I added was the free version of Timez attack so he would get solid on his math facts.  I wanted him to have more drills for practice and to have fun with it instead of feeling it was just drills.

We use TT3, 5, Pre- Algebra now.  I also have Timez attack and our youngest use Funnix software ( downloaded) with worksheets and I play Right Start Math games with them, use pattern blocks, Unifix cubes.

I like TT lectures and practice problems and automatic grade book.  I think it has to be checked and some drilling and testing helps to see if there is retention.  If it is easy, I have our dc do 2 or 3 lessons per day.  If they are struggling with something, we work on it together.  Then the lesson can be done again.  

I put my son in TT3 when he was frequently reduced to tears by Math Mammoth. My son is NOT mathy and has some learning issues. TT has been a good fit for him. He likes the multi-media aspect of it, and the instruction is clear. It takes me out of the equation, somewhat, which reduces friction between us (I still check his progress, answer questions, and go over missed problems with him, but TT is "teaching" him, in his mind). I do think that TT is on the "easy" side for math, but for some kids, that's what they need. 

I don't think that TT provides enough practice in times tables for kids who struggle with that, but I solved that problem by having him work through Timez Attack, which he loves. I see my son learning and understanding with TT, which is my goal for him. I'm not so much concerned with the timetable on which it happens.

Thank you all good stuff. I also think the multi-media aspect of it my son will love. We have a whole bunch of Right Start Math games that I've held onto just to have. Sounds like that would be good extra practice. It sounds like it would be different from R&S since R&S is pretty much drilling, drilling and more drilling :) Which I like to be honest! The kids really pick up on new concepts and they really know they're math facts. 

The other idea is that I would like for him to sit down and be "taught" through the lectures. It sounds like it's not completely hands off but the extra practice sounds like it would be more fun than anything. We'll do the placement tests and see how it goes. 

This is our first year homeschooling. I decided to go with Teaching Textbooks 5 for my 5th grade son. BUT he has been "behind" and struggling in school. I thought it would be perfect for him since everyone said it typically runs "behind." And it worked great this year. He has done 5 and a little bit of 6. He is testing into Saxon 5/4 right now (with getting most of them right- if he didn't have inference/comprehension issues, I do believe he would be testing into 6/5..) So I will say Teaching Textbooks has served it's purpose and worked well for us this year. I definitely suggest taking the placement test, since it might be "behind" whatever you are currently using.

This is our first year homeschooling. I decided to go with Teaching Textbooks 5 for my 5th grade son. BUT he has been "behind" and struggling in school. I thought it would be perfect for him since everyone said it typically runs "behind." And it worked great this year. He has done 5 and a little bit of 6. He is testing into Saxon 5/4 right now (with getting most of them right- if he didn't have inference/comprehension issues, I do believe he would be testing into 6/5..) So I will say Teaching Textbooks has served it's purpose and worked well for us this year. I definitely suggest taking the placement test, since it might be "behind" whatever you are currently using.

I've been sitting here reading reviews and I'm running into a lot of this. Mostly at the high school age where children aren't prepared for their tests. To be honest, that worries me.

I'm deciding if I will actually follow through with doing all the drilling and review on my own to make up for the reviewing not done in the package. I usually don't do it unless it's in the curriculum. I'm really undisciplined like that lol

I do think more drilling and review needs to be done with TT. UNLESS of course, the kid is really good at math and grasps new concepts etc very easily, then what is there might be enough. It wasn't enough for us, but I still DO like the program. The problem I had with my son, is that he got so frustrated that I would make him do the work in the book AND answer on the computer. He wanted to do one or the other and got frustrated doing both. But it really made this year of homeschooling easier for me, and he did learn a lot using the program. We will finish out TT6, along with the Saxon 5/4 that I ordered- and from there I am not sure. I really would like to continue with TT but like you, I am worried about being ready for high school math, tests, etc.

I have used TT before with dc.  I was fairly happy with it and we used it a year advanced.  I was happy until we switched to the charter school and my dd's TT6 was almost the equivalent of k-12's 4th grade except the k-12's 4th grade was more advanced than TT6 in certain areas.  Knowing that now, I have used our TT books just as review during the summer and I use them 2 grades ahead.  

We won't use it for our only math program again or use it with just the child working on the computer and myself checking the grades.  They get quite a few tries on each problem so they may have flunked the lesson the first time through and you really won't know unless you explore and click on each question to see how many tries it took.  For us, it was easy for me b/c I pretty much let them do math on the computer...but it came back to haunt us at the end of the year testing and when we switched to a charter school.

Yes. In the workbook it has the lecture that is also done on the computer. It's good in theory. They can read the lecture and then watch it. My son, however, was not a fan of doing both because he felt it was overkill (he rushes through EVERYTHING though, so getting him to do something once can be difficult enough..) But I didn't feel that he was getting enough just by watching it, I wanted him to actually do the work also. It's not a bad program at all, and I HAVE heard good stories about kids doing well with it. It is definitely good for my son to have some of the teaching on the computer vs ALL me doing it. I just think that being placed in the right level is important, and then also doing additional review/supplementing would even out the program and make sure the child isn't just getting by. I guess that could go for almost any program though. Again this is our first year homeschooling, so take that for what it's worth :) 

I was actually about to suggest using it as a summer math supplement- it's *perfect* for that. If you use it s a full curriculum, just make sure to add in extra review and don't just let the child do it all on the computer. Really make sure they are understanding the concepts and doing the work for the problems (which is why I had him do the work on paper first and then on the computer. I could see where he was getting something wrong, and then on the computer he could see an explanation for it as well if he got something wrong.)

I always see people say. "Make sure your child doesn't just do it all on the computer. Have them do the problems on paper." I don't really understand this. How could a child NOT do the work on paper? Unless the child has fantastic mental math skills and can do all the work in their head, they have to write it down, don't they? My son uses white board and a white board marker because it's easier for him than pencil and paper, but he is still manually doing the problems.

Well, you get a couple of different tries on the computer, so technically they could try guessing etc. Not every problem has to be written out in order to do it or get it right on the computer. Also, it's good practice to be able to write the problem out on paper (neatly.) I'm not sure what TT3 is like, as we have only used 5 and beginning of 6 so far. I just make sure he does all the work on paper before entering it on the computer if it is a problem that can be written out. And yes, a white board is perfect for that also, doesn't have to be paper unless you are wanting to check their work at the end instead of during. 

Why I think TT is working for us (as in my kids use math constantly and correctly in their every day lives and they score well on tests).

1.  We use it a year ahead.  Recently, I'm considering having my children use it 2 years ahead.  This is partly because of where I want my children to be their Junior year of high school because of dual enrollment.

2.  They do a math facts memorization program every year until they have them mastered.  I pick a different, independent program each year.  This year they're using Xtramath.

3.  I don't check out of their math education.  Here is a recent TT thread about this.  Teaching Textbooks and the Second Chance

4. We use the workbook as intended and expected by Teaching Textbooks.  

5. We encourage manipulatives.  

Important note:  I read that someone up thread has their child do the workbook and then do the problems on the computer.  Am I reading that right?  I actually had a friend who was (is not now) making her children do the assignment twice this way, because she didn't understand that only the answers from the workbook need to entered into the computer for grading.  The child does not need to do the assignment twice.

Another thread to help in your decision making, OP.    Is Teaching Textbooks all through high school acceptable for good SAT scores and college prep?

I am not sure I understand the  problem with multiple tries. I give the kids as many tries as necessary to understand the problem. I have  done that with all of our math programs. When we did Math Mammoth they corrected it until it was right.

Kelly

Knowing that they could make a second attempt (on some of the problems) and that it wouldn't affect their assignment grade is what was the problem here.  Once I did not allow my children to try again so that the problem showed that it was solved incorrectly, low and behold they started trying to get it right the first time/hardly getting any wrong comparatively and only taking one attempt to solve a problem correctly most of the time.  Obviously not all children have this problem though.

Knowing that they could make a second attempt (on some of the problems) and that it wouldn't affect their assignment grade is what was the problem here.  Once I did not allow my children to try again so that the problem showed that it was solved incorrectly, low and behold they started trying to get it right the first time/hardly getting any wrong comparatively and only taking one attempt to solve a problem correctly most of the time.  Obviously not all children have this problem though.

My son thinks that he only gets half credit for anything he has to try twice on. I don't actually keep a grade for him for math (I expect mastery, not "a passing grade"), but my son doesn't know that. It's very easy to work around the "second chance."

My son thinks that he only gets half credit for anything he has to try twice on. I don't actually keep a grade for him for math (I expect mastery, not "a passing grade"), but my son doesn't know that. It's very easy to work around the "second chance."

Totally agree.  Working around it was no biggie here.  What really opened my eyes to how the try again feature just wasn't working out here though was that I misplaced CDS for a bit after a move and everyone had to do their math without them.  I was shocked at how many they were getting wrong!  I knew they knew this stuff!  Again, they were just being careless because they knew they could try again.  I do not pay attention to grades either.  What I want is them trying them best and always asking me if they don't get something so that we can figure it out together.  What I do not want to develop is hurrying and carelessness. With one of my children this is especially a hill to die on. 

I'm happy with TT as well. Like many others have said, if it takes the fight out of math and it's getting done, it's going to be better in the long run than the one that is a daily fight and sits on the shelf. I agree it needs supplementation for math facts. My oldest son is very math-y and breezed through Xtra Math in less than a month (all four levels). My younger son Xtra Math was a total disaster so we are switching up our approach and using Timez Attack and Right Start Math games. I love the thread mentioned earlier about TT and ACT/SAT scores, but for some reason the link just brought me back to this thread. :confused1:  I did my own search and found it here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/495037-is-teaching-textbooks-all-through-high-school-acceptable-for-good-sat-scores-and-college-prep/

I'm happy with TT as well. Like many others have said, if it takes the fight out of math and it's getting done, it's going to be better in the long run than the one that is a daily fight and sits on the shelf. I agree it needs supplementation for math facts. My oldest son is very math-y and breezed through Xtra Math in less than a month (all four levels). My younger son Xtra Math was a total disaster so we are switching up our approach and using Timez Attack and Right Start Math games. I love the thread mentioned earlier about TT and ACT/SAT scores, but for some reason the link just brought me back to this thread. :confused1:  I did my own search and found it here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/495037-is-teaching-textbooks-all-through-high-school-acceptable-for-good-sat-scores-and-college-prep/

Oops!  I fixed that link.  Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. We have been using R&S since K and I'm still deciding if I'm going to stick with it or make the switch to TT. It all comes down to the teacher-insentive factor really. I love R&S as it's a solid, no-nonsense approach to math and lays a really strong foundation. But it does get harder as you move forward and the TM is really needed more and more. However, I also don't want my children to fall behind because I wanted a "break."

All I can say is my kids LOVE math and are good at it, and I'm a happier, less stressed mom since using TT.  Gone are the tears and math battles.  Homeschooling is fun again.  We get all our homeschooling done in a day now, but it isn't all consuming IYKWIM.  No falling behind in various subjects.  Spelling gets done! 

I've seen so many moms get burned out or fall so behind over the years.  Or, mom and child's relationship is strained over school for one reason or another.  Mom and child are no longer just enjoying the relationship.  It isn't pretty. Implementing TT was a very strategic move on our part.  One that I do not regret.  Do I want my kids to have the most rigorous, elite math education at the cost of many things we value?  Some can have it all.  We've had to "compromise" in some peoples minds here on TWTM forum, but we feel that our kids are getting a great math education.  We expect them to get into a good college with no problems and graduate ready for whatever career path they chose.  Most importantly we feel that for us we've chosen the "better part". Think Mary and Matha if you're familiar with Bible. :p  Every circumstance is so unique and every homeschooling family will look different.  I'm just sharing what works for us. 

Important note:  I read that someone up thread has their child do the workbook and then do the problems on the computer.  Am I reading that right?  I actually had a friend who was (is not now) making her children do the assignment twice this way, because she didn't understand that only the answers from the workbook need to entered into the computer for grading.  The child does not need to do the assignment twice.

Another thread to help in your decision making, OP.    Is Teaching Textbooks all through high school acceptable for good SAT scores and college prep?

He does the work once (in the book and on paper) and then after he does the problems and corrects any mistakes (he gets as many "chances" as it takes to do this- it's just when you do it only on the computer you get a few tries and my son gets "lazy" if that makes sense) and the he enters the answers on the computer. I don't make him do the actual work twice. Sorry for the misunderstanding there!

Totally agree.  Working around it was no biggie here.  What really opened my eyes to how the try again feature just wasn't working out here though was that I misplaced CDS for a bit after a move and everyone had to do their math without them.  I was shocked at how many they were getting wrong!  I knew they knew this stuff!  Again, they were just being careless because they knew they could try again.  I do not pay attention to grades either.  What I want is them trying them best and always asking me if they don't get something so that we can figure it out together.  What I do not want to develop is hurrying and carelessness. With one of my children this is especially a hill to die on. 

That is my son's issue right there. He is ALWAYS in a hurry and makes careless mistakes. He does this with more than just math, and this isn't a TT issue.