Menu

A Small Quilt for Rosie

Aubrey

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to contribute, too.

Rosie's dd - my house was built in the 1970's which means it has funny angles all over. It is 2 stories with a very small library as a third story. The house is on a concrete foundation with Texas limestone and hardi-planks on the side. The hardi-planks are made of a type of cement and look like old fashioned ship lap boards. If you could see the house from an airplane it would look a bit like a funny shaped key.

Our house has a fieldstone foundation and a fieldstone fireplace/chimney and black asphalt shingles on the roof, but the house itself is made of wood - robin's egg blue wood siding with yellow trim and red doors.  It's from 1880, so on the inside it's got horsehair plaster walls over wood lathe and wide pine floors, except in the wing, which is covered floor, walls, and ceiling with knotty pine.  And there are Portuguese tiles on the kitchen backsplash. :)

I was just thinking of the title of this thread, and that considering how well-loved Rosie has always been on these boards, and how much we all feel for her loss, I suspect this is going to end up being a very, very BIG quilt. :)

Rosie, please tell your beautiful daughter that I live in the "Land of Enchantment" where our state flag is the Zia symbol (I believe Zia is her name, correct?) in a house that is built on a concrete slab, of a wooden frame, with a stucco exterior that is made to look like a traditional adobe home, but is actually kind of faking it. Several of our friends here in Albuquerque have true adobe homes (with 2-ft thick walls) that were built prior to 1960 and they are just lovely! They stay cozy in winter, but cool in our long, hot summers. Our home was built in 1985, and even though our flat gravel roof leaks when it rains, and our home is a bit too cold in winter and too hot in summer, we like it anyway . . . mostly. :) Tomorrow, I will PM you a picture of my daughter Skye standing in front of our home. Her name is fitting since she was born here in New Mexico, which has the most beautiful sky, both day and night and especially at sunset, that I have ever seen.

Put me on the PM list for an address to send a square as well.  I am new here, but I am so touched by this, I must contribute.

To Rosie's daughter-My house was built in 2005, so it might even be younger than you!  It is made of a wood frame, with planks nailed to the outside that are called "siding."  The siding is made of a special kind of cement, if you can believe that!  It is painted a funny color...imagine if you mixed grey and the color of dried moss together.  So a grey-green sort of color. The house is small for a new American house, about 1400 square feet, but it's big for most other parts of the world.

Rosie here is a quilt story you may enjoy, though some do not.

I sat with my very old Nana the night she died in a Nursing Home. On her bed was a quilt my mum had made for her.

We got to keep the quilt.

Fast forward a few years and we had a succession of mum's quilts covering the vinyl lay-back chair my eldest daughter reigned from.

I realised it was the same 'Nana quilt' when my daughter died.

When I told our Priest, his response was, "Keep that  *# thing away from me!".

I hope you share the humour he and I shared.

It is the associations and people that make worn quilts so comforting.

This dd and I are just starting on our squares for the 'c/- Melissa' quilt.

And now for our house.

It is a farmhouse, the main part has 4 main rooms and a front veranda and is over 100 years old and has walls over a foot thick made of field stones and a limey cement mix. There are very high ceilings and some rooms have pressed tin ceilings. Then the back is a mix of old kitchen, cellar and other rooms randomly added in stone, corrugated iron, bessa bricks etc.

We have marshmallow plants big enough for cubbies that my girl won't let me weed, two lambs, some hens and a cat. We also have the start of a veggie garden and we look over hills, more sheep, ploughed paddocks and lots of wonderful sky. There are lots of old sheds all around us that the farmers use, some are made of stone with log and hay roofs. There is also a creek that that has small rocky waterholes. The farmers live a few paddocks away and have a stack of kids to play with.

Before this we lived for a while in a snug shed my girl and I built on a hill near here and before that for a long time in an asbestos house on stumps that would have made a great beach or river shack but instead was in the suburbs.

We live in a small house made of wood and stucco on a concrete slab. BUT, my youngest saw a show on dug-in houses in Australia and wishes we had one of those. We live in the Mojave Desert. There is a family up the street a ways that built a dug-in home. The soil here is awful with lots of clay. It must have taken them dynamite! Our little house is light tan with darker trim. We have desert brush and rock in the front yard. Right now it has pretty purple and yellow flowers in bloom. 

Big hugs, Rosie. You haven't left my mind in days. 

For Zia - our house looks like this.  It has a cement foundation with wood siding and aluminum windows.  It was built the year before I was born but we've only lived here for four years (I'm almost 48). It's a pretty basic house, nothing fancy. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a pantry, an office where I work (which is actually also where I sleep), and an extra room that some day will be a family room but right now is a storage room. It's located on 2 acres of land and we have goats, chickens, a dog and a cat.  We think it's funny that the name of our street is the same as the name of one of our daughters. 

Hannahhouse.jpg

Our house was built from a kit. In the 1920's, when it was built, you could order a house from the Sears Catalogue. Then everything you need to build your house would arrive on the train and you just put it together. Here is a picture of a reproduction of the catalogue.

ETA: Poo, it wouldn't let me do my picture. So here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Sears-Modern-Homes-Dover-Architecture/dp/0486452646/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400164726&sr=8-2&keywords=Sears%2C+Roebuck+catalog+of+houses

Not sure this has been mentioned yet...

For Zia--

Have you ever heard of houses that have siding made of cardboard? The material is actually called Masonite or hardboard. They don't use it much anymore because it doesn't last long if it isn't well-maintained. If the paint starts to come off and the material gets wet, it starts to come apart! Yikes! Most people replace it with fiber cement siding.

Our house was built from a kit. In the 1920's, when it was built, you could order a house from the Sears Catalogue. Then everything you need to build your house would arrive on the train and you just put it together. Here is a picture of a reproduction of the catalogue.

ETA: Poo, it wouldn't let me do my picture. So here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Sears-Modern-Homes-Dover-Architecture/dp/0486452646/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400164726&sr=8-2&keywords=Sears%2C+Roebuck+catalog+of+houses

Hey, sorry for the t/j but interestingly I was told by the neighbors that my house is a kit house from Sears. But my papers say it was built in 1980 and I didn't think they were still doing that by then. You reminded me I wanted to research that.

Edited to add link http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/

Cool link about kit houses....I think my neighbors are wrong though about mine being one.

Hey, sorry for the t/j but interestingly I was told by the neighbors that my house is a kit house from Sears. But my papers say it was built in 1980 and I didn't think they were still doing that by then. You reminded me I wanted to research that.

Edited to add link http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/

Cool link about kit houses....I think my neighbors are wrong though about mine being one.

Could it just be a modern version of one of those? Our home is a modern interpretation of the Arts and Crafts/Craftsman style.

Hi Rosie's dd! :seeya:     Thanks for asking about houses!

Haven't popped in for a few days.  I'm so glad to see this quilt thread, and I'll PM Lara.  Waving to Lara and Aubrey:  thanks for doing this!

For Rosie's daughter:  my house isn't that interesting, it's made from pinky-reddish bricks and from "Hardy board" which is cement mixed with fiber, and it lasts really well, thank goodness!  Z, we bought this house because it is very close to a long, long bike trail. For kids living in a city, being able to bike until you drop from exhaustion without having to watch out for cars is just lovely!  We also live right across the street from a creek that has raccoons, opossums, foxes, and even a family of beavers, but the beavers got moved to a more wild place where they could chew down the trees without making the neighbors mad at them. :-)   My dogs **LOVE** our house because they can run from one room to another, through one door after another, in a great big circle, like furry maniacs. (We all know that there will be dog races after they get their baths!) If you ever come here, you would be welcome to stay in my daughter, B's, room--it's the cleanest one. Ha!   

Waving to both Rosie and her daughter!

For Zia-

My house was built in 1819.   The original part of the house is all log and contains just two rooms.  It's had 3 additions over the years.  First, an upstairs was added to the log part.  Then, in the late 1800's the kitchen was added.  Finally, in the 1980's a room that we call the Keeping Room was added on the back.  It was made to look old so it would fit in with the rest of the house and contains a large, open hearth fire as well as an arm for cooking over the fire.  We can tell the approximate dates of the additions because we can see the beams of each room.  In the oldest part of the house, they are hand-hewn. In the slightly newer parts they are old looking, but clearly from a saw mill.  And finally, the newer addition was featured in a magazine in an article about restoring old houses.

The outside is covered over with aluminum siding and it doesn't all match because they just used whatever they had as they did each addition.  The front of the house has exposed logs, but only under the front porch where it's protected from the weather.  Keeping old logs from rotting is a lot of work if they are exposed to the weather, so everything was covered up.

Inside, in the oldest part we have a more unusual kind of log construction.  The corners each had a post that the wall logs locked into and were pinned with a large, wooden pin.  This was called post and plank and I was told, is of German design.  Most log homes in this area did not have those, but rather just met in the corners and stacked which was called butt and pass.

ETA: If you look closely at the upstairs, you can see my cat making her escape.  She didn't get far.  She was too afraid to jump off the porch roof.

post-2672-0-73576500-1400695904_thumb.jpg

I'd like to make a square for Aubrey's quilt, one for Melissa's Aussie quilt and one for Dana's afghan if it's not too late.

I'll be taking knit or crochet squares until end of May. PM headed to you shortly....

My quilt square should be there in a few days.

My own home is rather traditional and boring. Since we live where tornados often are in spring and occasionally fall, I wanted a house with a basement with strong thick concrete walls. When they build homes with basements here, they use concrete forms, and they put long metal rods into the forms to help the concrete remain strong. After the concrete cures and gets hard, then trucks will come to bring dirt to go around the outside of those concrete walls. When my parents were building their home, the concrete driver bumped against the foundation and put a tiny crack in it. They had to rip the whole thing out and start over as it would've leaked water otherwise. They took the concrete and dug a pond on their farm. They put the concrete in the pond as a habitat for fish as there wasn't a concrete recycling place near us.

Not too terribly far from us, there is a university where the architecture students experiment in building eco-friendly homes for low income families. Sometimes they build homes entirely of concrete pre-fabricated panels. They have also made a strawbale home, a modified geodosic dome home, and they are currently trying to get the money to build a steel framed home. The steel frame moves less than a wood frame home. In our area with expansive clay soil, this means the home would have less movement which would mean fewer drywall cracks and pops. I don't think it will become a popular choice, though, as steel conducts heat more than wood, and so you have to insulate a house differently. As we have warm, humid summers and cold harsh winters, they need to sort out how to insulate the home to keep utility bills low first.

Somehow I only just saw this thread. Is it too late to contribute a square? Is it okay if I just send a square? I absolutely CANNOT sew! Lol. I can crochet, but I'm not sure if that would make the cut :)

I'm collecting crochet and knit squares. Let me know if you want my address....

I'm collecting crochet and knit squares. Let me know if you want my address....

Yes, please do PM me your address. What size for the square? When you PM me, if you want to just send the specifics/information, that would be great.

I would like to send a square, I hope I'm not too late!  Can someone PM me the address?

As for our house, it's 1 story and made of cinderblock for the outside walls. It has two parts that meet at the front door, the "old house" and the "new house". The "old house" has lath & paster walls and a wooden roof with no attic (which means no central heat/AC on that side, as there's no place for duct work), and is painted tan on the exterior. The "new house" (addition) has wood-frame & sheetrock walls on the inside, aluminum siding, wooden truss roof, and an attic (storage! central air! yipee!  :hurray: ). We have a nice big yard -- for this area, anyway -- and also have a wood-frame detached garage / workshop, a small wooden barn (no horses yet, but our neighbors have a couple), and the "little house" which is now storage, but used to be some kind of trailer home that was added onto... we're not even sure exactly what that building is made of! It has a flat roof which several layers of tar on it because it keeps leaking and no one will repair it without tearing it off & replacing it. So I guess you could say it's made of wood, aluminum, and roofing tar.  :crying:

Rosie, adding my house for your dd; I'm glad she's still enjoying the descriptions!

I live in a one story house that is 30 years old. They put bricks over a wooden frame and the bricks are painted white.  It has a black roof and black shutters. The floors inside are wood, and all of the walls are white.  It's not a big house, but there are 14 windows, so it's very bright inside. There is a fireplace against one wall that is made of lots of light brown, rectangular shaped rocks that go all the way up to the ceiling.  There are stairs that go down to the basement.  My house sits on a bit of a hill, so when you walk down the stairs into the basement, you can walk out the back door and be in the backyard. 

I'm crocheting a square but might be mailing it a bit late. Can some one please pm me for the afghan part? I was going to do both but dd2 is teething and she's having a rather hard time of ot.

PM sent.

And anyone who wants to send a knit or crochet square, you've still got about a week to get squares done... Send me a PM and I'll send you my info.

• 1 month later...

Update: the face of the quilt is all put together, & I'm doing the actual quilting. Slowly. I'll post pics...I was thinking when the quilting was done, but maybe sooner would be better? LOL Anyway, it's very, very sweet. Seeing all that love in something like that...makes me tear up. And I wish I'd demanded TWO hands from everybody; I'd make my own. LOL

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's contributed. Y'all are sweet.

Update: the face of the quilt is all put together, & I'm doing the actual quilting. Slowly. I'll post pics...I was thinking when the quilting was done, but maybe sooner would be better? LOL Anyway, it's very, very sweet. Seeing all that love in something like that...makes me tear up. And I wish I'd demanded TWO hands from everybody; I'd make my own. LOL

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's contributed. Y'all are sweet.

But you are the sweetest for quilting and putting the whole thing together!

:hurray: