Menu

A Small Quilt for Rosie

Aubrey

Hi, guys. I'd like to make a small quilt for Rosie. It will probably be ugly & badly sewn, because that's how my sewing skills go, but I know she & I had so much fun doing that for Scarlett--she in particular seemed to enjoy poking fun at my idea of "sewing"--that I'd like to do it for her, too.

I'd like for those who'd like to participate to trace their hands on one fabric & then stitch that to a 10" x 10" block of another fabric, to be like a virtual hug. Put your name on it with sharpie marker or embroidery.

Lara in Colo will be collecting these, so if you're interested, you can pm her.

Thanks.

A great idea. I still remember her saying to me, "what you need is a quilt".

I am in shock.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a concrete foundation. House is made of wood and stucco. Roof is slate. It's a white and grey house. And inside the house is a woman who wants to give so many hugs to Rosie and her little girl and hope to goodness that that will somehow lessen some of the pain (but knows it won't). Have been hugging DS tighter all day. Sending lots of virtual love. 

I could put this quilt-quality verse around the border of my square.

Our house is wood

The shingles white,

And if you could,

Come stay a night.

Are the squares supposed to be sewn inside out and the turned good side out, like a pillow? I am also wondering if 10" is hemmed or un hemmed quilt size. I have never so much as thought of making a quilt.

Our business (DH's and mine) is producing fabric labels for quilts and the like.  If someone wants to PM me the details of what you would want on a washable organic cotton label, what size you want it to be, etc., I'm happy to make and send one.  Pretty much any font from dafont.com is okay, and I have a lot of graphics (or you can send me a link to one).

First--um. Duh. This was not very subtle. Sorry, Rosie. Do what 7yo does when I accidentally forget to hide her gifts: pretend you didn't see this. She's gotten quite good at that over the years, poor thing. 

Second--hemmed? *scratches head* I've never heard of hemming squares first. That's probably the thing to do, of course, but I've never done it that way. Shall I tell you what my grandmother said when I gave her a quilt? Well, it was kind, but I was very suspicious. ;) So let's say, don't hem them. Just send a raw 10" square with your hand slapped on there some way or other. I had good luck painting the kids' hands for a handprint t-shirt for dh. Mostly good luck...

Ok, so raw means 10" to me, right?  So it'll be smaller after it's joined to all the other squares.  So I should be sure not to get my fingers too close to the edge or they'll be "cut" off by stitching in quilt production.

So we need to draw around our hand on one piece of fabric, cut out our hand shape, and sew/glue that to a 10" square?  I am really dense when it comes to these things.

This.

I'd love to participate. I'll need the quilt-square-for-dummies information with measurement specifics and edging details (I can handle the handprint appliqué part). And the address where to send it. I'd also love to contribute to the funds for assembling and shipping.

{{Rosie}}

For your precious daughter: I live in a house made of wood with a concrete basement foundation.

And this.

Break it down Barney-style for me please. I'd also like to contribute to finishing material & shipping costs for the finished product.

ETA:  I live in an apartment building.  I'm not sure what all it's made of.  It's got a stucco exterior, though.

Our house was built in stages from the mid-19th century onwards.  The older bits are mostly stone, with thick walls (60cms thick or more).  The newer bits are brick or brieze block with harling on the outside.  In the censuses of the 19th century there were three families living on the property, and from the maps at that time, there were two major buildings and one smaller one.  In amongst the sycamore windbreak, there are Victorian varieties of daffodil, surviving from the cottage gardens of that time, as well as gooseberries growing wild.  

After all the additions and subtractions, the house is now shaped like a capital J .  The crossbar is the front of the house with, left to right, the sitting room, front hall and kitchen.  The stem of the 'J' is where the bedrooms are, with one bedroom kicking sideways at the end.

Love

L

I'm not great sewer (is that a word?), but I will try to make a block.

Our house is entirely concrete - poured in-situ concrete, and it has a steel frame inside the concrete, and re-inforced concrete bands at 3 levels (ask how we found that out! - drilling into the walls for any reason requires a fairly substantial drill!). Outside it is rendered, and has a tile roof, except the garage, which has a flat roof, covered in roofing felt.

It was built in 1954, and lived in by the one family until we bought it last year.

Our house is brick. I think the foundation is cement. We live "in" a hill, so in the front, you walk in on the main floor, but in the back, you walk out the basement. If you look out the front livingroom window, you are on the main floor, but if you look out the back livingroom window, you are one floor up!

I need the address, I might struggle with the June 1st (international mail and all that Jazz) but I have the perfect fabric that I bought on a whim a few weeks ago with no idea what I would do with it. Now I do.

My house (apartment building), it is a beautiful yellow colour and made of cement.

My house is on a concrete foundation and is wood frame with composite siding made to resemble wood siding. Divided light windows and shingle roof. Tan siding with dark green shutters (decorative only) and door. Built in 1992.

Can someone pm me the addy to send the square.

Our house has new cement walls in the basement.  They picked up the whole house to put the new walls in before we moved.  The house itself has cream colored vinyl siding.  I don't know much else about it except that the house is still settling on it's new basement and some things come up caddy-wompus...like door latches.

I read this thread first. I was trying to figure out what was going on and who the Rosie getting the quilt was since the "Rosie" was commenting on the thread. Then I saw Rosie's other thread. Don't know what to say. It's so sad. Don't know what I would do. Thinking of you, Rosie. Not sure if you'd want prayers or not, but I'm saying some for your family. Hope that's ok.

My house is wooden with some brick and shake singles with a basement and crawl space.

I could put this quilt-quality verse around the border of my square.

Our house is wood

The shingles white,

And if you could,

Come stay a night.

Are the squares supposed to be sewn inside out and the turned good side out, like a pillow? I am also wondering if 10" is hemmed or un hemmed quilt size. I have never so much as thought of making a quilt.

One piece of fabric, 10" on all sides. One hand on top of that. Don't hem it, don't do it like a pillow. Just like a piece of scrap paper you'd give a kid to trace his hand on. Their edges will be sewn into the quilt, but I will do that. :)

Ok, so raw means 10" to me, right?  So it'll be smaller after it's joined to all the other squares.  So I should be sure not to get my fingers too close to the edge or they'll be "cut" off by stitching in quilt production.

This.

And this.

Break it down Barney-style for me please. I'd also like to contribute to finishing material & shipping costs for the finished product.

ETA:  I live in an apartment building.  I'm not sure what all it's made of.  It's got a stucco exterior, though.

Raw means 10" to you. Keep your fingers away from the edge, lol, or I'll have to get creative. :D

Put your hand on a piece of fabric--just like you'd do your kids. Trace around it. Cut it out.

Get another piece of fabric. Cut it to 10" on all 4 sides. Put your fabric handprint on that. Sew it on or glue it on or paperclip it on. :)

One piece of fabric, 10" on all sides. One hand on top of that. Don't hem it, don't do it like a pillow. Just like a piece of scrap paper you'd give a kid to trace his hand on. Their edges will be sewn into the quilt, but I will do that. :)

Raw means 10" to you. Keep your fingers away from the edge, lol, or I'll have to get creative. :D

Put your hand on a piece of fabric--just like you'd do your kids. Trace around it. Cut it out.

Get another piece of fabric. Cut it to 10" on all 4 sides. Put your fabric handprint on that. Sew it on or glue it on or paperclip it on. :)

Thank you for the detailed directions for those of us who are non- quilters.

Some people have pm'd me about slow international shipping, vacation plans, etc: no worries. Seriously, if this can be an international effort, that would delight me beyond words. If you'll just send me a note when it's in the mail, I'll hold a spot for it on the quilt & add it when it comes. :)

Aubrey, why are we sending the quilt squares to Lara if you're the one doing the sewing?

Some people have pm'd me about slow international shipping, vacation plans, etc: no worries. Seriously, if this can be an international effort, that would delight me beyond words. If you'll just send me a note when it's in the mail, I'll hold a spot for it on the quilt & add it when it comes. :)

Aubrey, why are we sending the quilt squares to Lara if you're the one doing the sewing?

Because after the thing with my mom, I'm still...gunshy? I asked Lara if she'd be willing to be the point person, & then tricked her into helping me sew it up. (I don't know if she's really going to do the latter, lol.)

Rosie, thank you for putting up with our expressions of love. It means SO much to me to have *anything* I can do, & I hope that way over here, it won't be bothering you too much for a while at least.

Due date, ladies: what? You aren't finished already? The mail's already gone today (here)! LOL I really don't know. I'd *love* to have everything in a week or two, but longer is okay, too. Would it be helpful if we set a date & then move it? :D June 1?

There are some beautiful quilts on the link shared above, but I think I'll be lucky to make one that is reminiscent of this: http://funhandprintartblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/PHOTO_7723658_122717_11012377_ap_420X315.jpg

June 1 sounds good to me. I need a little time.

Dear Rosie's daughter, Our house is built of wood. It's on a concrete foundation, with a basement. It's white with blue trim, and we've got a matching white picket fence around the front yard. Every year I plant sweet peas by the fence because they remind me of my grandmother.

About the quilt: My boys would like to make a square. Please pm me the information so we know where to send it when we're done. :)

Cat

Our house is a boring brick square, no basement because we live under sea level. The most exciting thing about our house is that, because it is built on what used to be swampland, it tilted when they built a road nearby. All the cabinet doors shut by themselves until we got it fixed, which involved manually digging a huge hole underneath and shoring it up. There are reasons it isn't supposed to happen again, but I don't understand them. 

I don't know if this is something I misunderstood or it was posted on the other quilt thread for Rosie but it seemed Rosie herself was suggesting that everyone send the squares to one person and that person gather them all together and send them to her so that she and her daughter could sew them together?  Is that what she was saying?  Not wanting to cause a ruckus, just trying to do whatever is best for Rosie and her DD... 

I don't know if this is something I misunderstood or it was posted on the other quilt thread for Rosie but it seemed Rosie herself was suggesting that everyone send the squares to one person and that person gather them all together and send them to her so that she and her daughter could sew them together?  Is that what she was saying?  Not wanting to cause a ruckus, just trying to do whatever is best for Rosie and her DD... 

I might have misunderstood, too! I thought she was offering to help, but I figured that was impractical since it would involve mailing things back & forth between here & Australia. Hmmm...now I'm not sure. :P (Or maybe she's scared of a quilt with pleats in one end.)

My house has 18 inch stone basement foundation. It is known as the dungeon and only the cat hangs out there. My walls are wood, my floors are wood, It's a 1920s bungalow with vinyl siding. It has a big deck on the back, side, and front. The back deck is not covered and last night the little dipper was right overhead. 

Sorry it was me that caused the confusion.  I didn't realize that this quilting thread was started when I started mine. I never asked Rosie about a quilt, just as a go between and forwarding address if people wanted to send her a card or something like that. The quilt was my idea. I wish I had read the forum closer before posting.... I did not want to cause confusion at all.

Rosie told me she isn't all that fond of cards, but a few people have contacted me to forward on  a small something to Rosie.

Okay.  One more question.  On the hand piece do you want raw edges?  I'm trying to picture turning under the edges of the fingers and seeing some major problems - for me anyway.  If they're unfinished, should I use pinking shears?  

For Rosie's sweet daughter: Our two-story house is on a concrete foundation and constructed of (ugly) orangish/red brick, with grey siding on the dormer windows and dark green trim, and roofed with black shingles.

Okay.  One more question.  On the hand piece do you want raw edges?  I'm trying to picture turning under the edges of the fingers and seeing some major problems - for me anyway.  If they're unfinished, should I use pinking shears?  

For Rosie's sweet daughter: Our two-story house is on a concrete foundation and constructed of (ugly) orangish/red brick, with grey siding on the dormer windows and dark green trim, and roofed with black shingles.

No pinking shears & don't turn it under--raw edges. You can use a tight zigzag stitch to sew around the edges. 

Anyone who wants to do a knit/crochet square, use machine washable yarn (worsted weight).

Make the square roughly 7 inches by 7 inches.

Shades of red or neutral (earth) tones are good.

Please get me the squares by the end of May so I can assemble them. (I crochet)

PM me with any questions and for my snail mail address.

:grouphug:

Here is a picture of what all the houses in our neighborhood look like, our house looks like this with the same colors and even the tree, it might actually be our house, it is a picture from housing:

http://www.housing.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/111130-F-XI959-036.JPG

We did not get to pick it, it was issued to us, LOL, but we do like it well enough. We have moved 9 times in the last 12 years.