Menu

A Small Quilt for Rosie

Aubrey

Hi, guys. I'd like to make a small quilt for Rosie. It will probably be ugly & badly sewn, because that's how my sewing skills go, but I know she & I had so much fun doing that for Scarlett--she in particular seemed to enjoy poking fun at my idea of "sewing"--that I'd like to do it for her, too. 

I'd like for those who'd like to participate to trace their hands on one fabric & then stitch that to a 10" x 10" block of another fabric, to be like a virtual hug. Put your name on it with sharpie marker or embroidery. 

Lara in Colo will be collecting these, so if you're interested, you can pm her.

Thanks. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dd has been having sewing lessons with Nanna. If you can't sew, she can do it. Do send your squares with your name and what your house is made of. She's got a thing about that at the moment. I don't know why.

Rosie, by the time I saw the other thread it was 400 people deep - just wanted to hug you right now because there are really no words anyway.   :grouphug:

First--um. Duh. This was not very subtle. Sorry, Rosie. Do what 7yo does when I accidentally forget to hide her gifts: pretend you didn't see this. She's gotten quite good at that over the years, poor thing. 

Second--hemmed? *scratches head* I've never heard of hemming squares first. That's probably the thing to do, of course, but I've never done it that way. Shall I tell you what my grandmother said when I gave her a quilt? Well, it was kind, but I was very suspicious. ;) So let's say, don't hem them. Just send a raw 10" square with your hand slapped on there some way or other. I had good luck painting the kids' hands for a handprint t-shirt for dh. Mostly good luck...

First--um. Duh. This was not very subtle. Sorry, Rosie. Do what 7yo does when I accidentally forget to hide her gifts: pretend you didn't see this. She's gotten quite good at that over the years, poor thing. 

Second--hemmed? *scratches head* I've never heard of hemming squares first. That's probably the thing to do, of course, but I've never done it that way. Shall I tell you what my grandmother said when I gave her a quilt? Well, it was kind, but I was very suspicious. ;) So let's say, don't hem them. Just send a raw 10" square with your hand slapped on there some way or other. I had good luck painting the kids' hands for a handprint t-shirt for dh. Mostly good luck...

No hemming? Exellent. I cannot sew well and the less sewing I am doing the nicer the square will look.

I'd like for those who'd like to participate to trace their hands on one fabric & then stitch that to a 10" x 10" block of another fabric, to be like a virtual hug.

Pardon the dumb question, but I am *TERRIBLE* at visualization. Are you looking for something kind of like this horrendously drawn sketch? Or something else?

I think that's right. I googled hand print quilts and saw a bunch of neat ideas.  Some used fabric paint, others just cut out the hands and then sewed them on.  hand print quilt ideas

Is there a color scheme we want to try and stick to or anything goes?

If somebody has Lara's mailing address, will you PM it to me? I don't want to inundate her inbox. :)

Aubrey…what a wonderful idea. :)

I've been sitting here wrapped up in a scrappy quilt I made for him a few years ago. Magazine perfect quilts just don't match little boys whose faces weren't clean even when you just washed them. :)

I've been sitting here wrapped up in a scrappy quilt I made for him a few years ago. Magazine perfect quilts just don't match little boys whose faces weren't clean even when you just washed them. :)

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I agree that a due date would be good to know. :)

Could we knit/ crochet up a 10 x 10 block to send or would that throw everything off?

If enough people wanted to do knit or crochet, I could assemble those squares....

Oh Rosie, I wished I lived next door so I could give you a real hug. I am so sad for you. You are in many people's thoughts today. Words are so inadequate.

I will just sit here on my couch and cry a moment for Rosie.  :(

Please tell your dd that my house has a cement foundation and is all brick (kind of a pink/salmon color) with gray composition shingles for the roof.  It has some white stones around some of the windows for accent pieces. 

Rosie, thank you for putting up with our expressions of love. It means SO much to me to have *anything* I can do, & I hope that way over here, it won't be bothering you too much for a while at least.

Due date, ladies: what? You aren't finished already? The mail's already gone today (here)! LOL I really don't know. I'd *love* to have everything in a week or two, but longer is okay, too. Would it be helpful if we set a date & then move it? :D June 1?

There are some beautiful quilts on the link shared above, but I think I'll be lucky to make one that is reminiscent of this: http://funhandprintartblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/PHOTO_7723658_122717_11012377_ap_420X315.jpg

I agree that a due date would be good to know. :)

Could we knit/ crochet up a 10 x 10 block to send or would that throw everything off?

No, I'm so sorry--I don't think you can combine knitting & cotton patchwork quilt stuff. I think it would pull apart.

I think that's right. I googled hand print quilts and saw a bunch of neat ideas.  Some used fabric paint, others just cut out the hands and then sewed them on.  hand print quilt ideas

If somebody has Lara's mailing address, will you PM it to me? I don't want to inundate her inbox. :)

Aubrey…what a wonderful idea. :)

Thank you for that link, Umsami! :)

Color scheme: anything goes. We represent a pretty wide variety of women; I don't want the quilt to hide that!

I just realized *I* don't know Lara's address. :P 

I would love to contribute a square.  I'd also be happy to throw in a little money to help offset the cost of binding/batting/shipping it overseas.  Can someone PM me the relevant info?

My house is on a raised concrete foundation with wooden siding and my heart is broken for you, Rosie, and your daughter.

If enough people wanted to do knit or crochet, I could assemble those squares....

I'm up for that, if there are enough to make one all of knit/crochet.

ETA: We live in a house with a concrete foundation. It has a brick front and light brown siding on the other three sides, with a brown shingle roof.

Our house is brick in front, siding in the back.  It's on a basement which is CONCRETE.

CONCRETE, people.  Cement is what you mix with aggregate to make CONCRETE.  If your foundations are made solely from cement it's somewhat akin to building your house on sand.

(I'm hoping that harping about something inconsequential is mildly amusing/distracting.  Y'all are supposed to be rolling your eyes about people getting hung up on concrete vs. cement, and forgetting that you were crying a minute ago.)

Also, I could use Lara's address also, if someone's in the business of sending it out. 

Dear Lord, have mercy.  I hadn't been on the chat board all day and just saw Rosie's thread.

Rosie, I am so terribly sorry.  I can only imagine how little that means but please know we'd all love to be there and hold your hand if we could.  :grouphug:

Tell your precious little girl that we live in the middle of the U.S., in a red brick house with white trim. 

My house is made of concrete. Not cement, apparently. The whole thing is concrete. A lot of the houses here have Spanish tiles on the roof, but mine doesn't. It's just more concrete, but since it's flat, you can go on top and watch eclipses if you want to. Or meteor showers. I have lived in many cement houses, and some wood houses, and some brick houses. Someday I would like to live in a tree house, but I don't think my family does.

Rosie, I cried when I read your post. I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. I can't even begin to understand what you are going through, and I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

My house is a single story red brick on a concrete slab.

I'd love to participate. I'll need the quilt-square-for-dummies information with measurement specifics and edging details (I can handle the handprint appliqué part). And the address where to send it. I'd also love to contribute to the funds for assembling and shipping.

{{Rosie}}

For your precious daughter: I live in a house made of wood with a concrete basement foundation.

Hugs to you Rosie!  I have been on these boards since the very first board, but mostly just lurk.  I had to come out of lurkdom to offer my condolences.  You have touched me and my family in so many ways over the years through your posts.  I only wish that there was something I could offer that would be helpful to you in some way.  My heart is with you and your family at this time.

I think my house is made of drywall, but as a chronic renter, I'm not really sure. We had to be out of the old one in a few days and I didn't want to be homeless with a teenaged girl and a tween boy so I wasn't feeling picky.

Anyway, it doesn't have termites like the other place so I don't need to keep buying spackle and patching holes. It has aluminium siding that is painted to look like wood. We have a very high water table here, so we can't have basements (cellars?) but we have to have crawl spaces under them, so I don't know what kind of a foundation that is.

Rent's cheap. Landlord's nice. I've been here 11 years and would stay another 11 in a heartbeat.

My kid sews if you'd like a square from him. I'd make you one too, of course.

Our house sits on a cement basement foundation. The house is made of wood with wood shingles.  It was purchased as a whole kit from the Eaton's catalogue in 1901 that included everything from every piece of wood, to every wood shingle to every nail and even the kitchen sink. It came on the train and took days and days of trips by horse and cart to bring it all from the trainyard to the farm. 

ETA: It didn't originally sit on the cement basement.  That was done about 50 years ago.

My house has a red brick foundation. It is a crawl space. The siding is a cement composite (it's supposed to last 100 years) that looks like wood siding. It is painted light green and there are black shutters on the front. We have two front porches made of wood. One porch is off of the second story and the other off of the first. The stretch across the front of the house.

Rosie's sweet daughter: My house is on a cement foundation, is two stories, and has cream colored vinyl siding and green shutters. My last two houses were brick, one a cement foundation, the other had a crawl space, so on wood. I tease that I live in a plastic house! And you don't paint it, you give it a bath! :grouphug: