Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW19

Robin M

Today I finished and enjoyed Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye.  I have definitely highlighted more words in this book than not.  Lots of great stuff in there.

I think my next venture is Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Just read the reviews for BBC, and I have to say, the premise that Americans are so distractible that we simply don't have the attention span to "do" Buddhism in its traditional Eastern forms had me laughing out loud!

I really enjoyed LB, LC -- I hope you do as well!

Am now reading Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie & am quite enjoying it!

0156030535.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this.  I'm considering Pakistan as my next country-delve...

Eliana, I'm glad you enjoyed Black Radishes  -- it was recommended to us by our rabbi's wife, who does well... I am soon to the library, where I hope to pick up When They Severed Earth from Sky - sounds fascinating....

Thanks for the recommendation!  I've figured out my teen has been "borrowing" my books. 

:lol: My eldest does this too.  She can see all my Kindle books on her iPad.  It's quite entertaining to see which ones she picks up.

Oh, I wanted to mention a few picture books that were (still are) faves here...

71KEWBMQ45L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.gifUncle_Andy.jpg1463543.jpg

Dinner at Magritte's

Uncle Andy's 

Bottle Houses

There are so many wonderful, wonderful art-based books for kids!

Love, love, love Uncle Andy.  It is hilarious.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I am back...again.  I don't think I posted before I left  but I had to go back to Ontario two weeks ago because my dad was in ICU with pneumonia.  I had only been home three weeks from my first trek before I had to do it all over again.   This time I did it with my youngest so that part was better.  I am happy to say that both my mom and dad are doing really well.  So we are taking another week off so that we can recuperate from yet another time apart and then we will attempt to carry on with life.

I was able to get some reading done in between grocery runs and doctor visits. I finished  'Longbourne'  by Jo Baker--it is a revisit to Pride and Prejudice but from the point of view of the household staff.  I quite liked it.   

'Princess Elizabeth's  Spy  by Susan Elia NacNeal--the second in the Maggie Hope series,  a fluff book but that is all my brain can handle at the moment.  It was good fluff, though.

Code Name Verity  by Elizabeth Weins.  I got this recommendation from this list.   It was a good read.  Not one that will stay with me but I did like it.

I am now reading  C.S.Lewis'  Till We Have Faces--enjoying this read.

My daughter and I read Fault in our Stars, by John Green.  This is the story of two teenagers with late stage cancer; and seems to be somewhat uneasily straddling the YA/adult categories, and in the process both generating a lot of interest and also pushing a lot of buttons... So, first, the treatment of cancer: direct, not tearjerking, not in the least bit "noble" - the narrator actually makes frequent references to the classic "cancer narrative," which she is determinedly not living.  Second, the relationship between the 16 year old narrator and the 17 year old young man, who also has cancer: rarely have I seen such a concise portrayal of what a healthy relationship between two people under unimaginable stress looks like -- fully present for one another, holding hands when that is all that can be done, cracking jokes when that is what will help, doing their level best despite their own significant difficulties to make the most of every precious moment they have together... (heroically pouring out one another's cups of tea, in Jane's memorable comment about Pym's Excellent Women)... My fondest hope for my own children is that they have such soul mates in their own lives... so... for me... the fact that they happened to be 16 and 17, rather than, say, 18 and 19 didn't loom terribly large for me (ymmv).  It's not a perfect book; the relationships between the two kids and their respective sets of parents are idealized imo; and the storyline with the Dutch American author gets a bit wobbly on occasion, but overall, I thought it was well worthwhile, as did my daughter.  

(Our experience with it, along with Angel's and Eliana's thoughts last week, also sparked a good bit of reflection on YA, and what makes me uneasy about books in that age group... which I'm still mulling over, but will come back to...)

Pam, how old is your daughter? My dd10 asked me if she could read Fault in Our Stars, and I vetoed it based on the short summary I read about it. What age do you think would be good?

I finished Boneshaker. It was tolerable. I'm not drawn to zombie lit, but at least I can say I've stuck my toe in. Are there steampunk-ish books that do not have zombies and are not gruesome?

How about Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series? I thought all of these were fun and funny, and they've got a bit of steampunk, too. And I ditto Stacia's Spring-Heeled Jack recommendation, but I've only read the first book in that series.

I picked up Monuments Men at the library this afternoon. Woaw, that's a chunky book. It didn't look that big on Amazon, but it certainly is in this Dutch translation I have sitting on my desk right now :svengo: . But I'm looking forward to it!

I finished The Once and Future King. My very short review: It started so silly and ended so solemn, but hopeful, with lots of sighs in between. Sighs of romance, yes, but also of disappointment and frustration.

At the Zen center yesterday, the teacher talked about associating with people who are striving for peace and justice, and I'm thinking So we'd all be better off if we spent more time hanging out with King Arthur. Except, imo, Arthur rejects Zen in these lines of the book:

It seemed as if the only hope was not to act at all, to draw no swords for anything, to hold oneself still, like a pebble not thrown. But that would be hateful.

Anyway - I've begun Allegiant and Galway Kinnell's The Book of Nightmares (poetry).

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this.  I'm considering Pakistan as my next country-delve...

So far, I'm loving it. Where I am in the story, the main character is feeling hope & I find my heart tugging in exactly the same way, sharing hope along with her. I'm almost afraid to go forward, not wanting the hope to be dashed. Anyway, not every book can make you empathize to the point that you're feeling the same emotions as the main character. I'm about halfway through, I think.

From Pakistan, I've also read two other books, both of which I recommend & both of which are written by Mohammed Hanif: A Case of Exploding Mangoes (I loved this one) & Our Lady of Alice Bhatti (which I also liked).

I will definitely be seeking out more Pakistani writers myself (so I look forward to seeing your list). On the blog of the lady who did a year of reading books from every country, she has the following list for Pakistan:

Pakistan Mohsin Hamid Moth Smoke; The Reluctant Fundamentalist / Sara Suleri Meatless Days / Bapsi Sidhwa Ice Candy Man; An American Brat; The Pakistani Bride / Bina Shah A Season for Martyrs; Slum Child / Jamil Ahmad The Wandering Falcon / Daniyal Mueenuddin In Other Rooms, Other Wonders / HM Naqvi Home Boy / Uzma Aslam Khan / Musharraf Ali Farooqi The Story of a Widow; Between Clay and Dust / Ali Sethi The Wish Maker / Kamila Shamsie Kartography; Broken Verses; Burnt Shadows / Mohammed Hanif

• I am back...again.  I don't think I posted before I left  but I had to go back to Ontario two weeks ago because my dad was in ICU with pneumonia.  I had only been home three weeks from my first trek before I had to do it all over again.   This time I did it with my youngest so that part was better.  I am happy to say that both my mom and dad are doing really well.  So we are taking another week off so that we can recuperate from yet another time apart and then we will attempt to carry on with life.

Julia, so glad to hear that both of your parents are doing so well. :grouphug:

I picked up Monuments Men at the library this afternoon. Woaw, that's a chunky book. It didn't look that big on Amazon, but it certainly is in this Dutch translation I have sitting on my desk right now :svengo: . But I'm looking forward to it!

Looking forward to your perspective on it since you're reading it 'from the other side of the pond'.

Just stopping in quick.  I ended up trapped away from home yesterday so spent hours reading while waiting and made progress on Herodotus's Histories.  It's fine and even funny when he's talking about military conquests and story telling.  I wish the geography descriptions were not included (I understand why they are included but gah).

I also have Heaven is Real waiting now and The Mismeasure of Man appeared when a box of books fell and exploded.  I've been contemplating the current wisdom (or lack there of) of using measuring sticks lately so having that book appear seems timely.  

Pam, how old is your daughter? My dd10 asked me if she could read Fault in Our Stars, and I vetoed it based on the short summary I read about it. What age do you think would be good?

Not Pam, but I read it a few months ago. If my 13 yo requested to read it, I would let her. I don't think I would suggest it to her myself until she was a little older, maybe 15. The cancer issues are heavy, but she has an aunt (my sister) living through that, so that's already a part of her life. The main characters do have intimate relations at one point--that would keep me from allowing my 11 yo to read it. Even for the 13 yo, that would be her first time reading a book with that in it. I think a high schooler would appreciate the book more.

I'm glad to hear they're both doing well. 

Well, we are back from our trip!  Dd19 and I think we could be cowgirls somewhere near Tulsa or Wichita.  I know I said if we moved I wanted green grass and trees, but oh, that prairie grass is beautiful.  Independence, MO was nice as well. It had the green grass and trees. Still no decision on whether or not we will move.  Dh is still deliberating.  

I hardly read at all on the trip.  I don't read in the car (get very motion sick) and was dead tired every night.  It will take a couple days to get back into our groove here.  I'm unpacking and beginning laundry.

Also, just wanted to say it's my birthday!  I think it will be low key for a change (usually not so much, I really LOVE my birthday lol) because of our trip.  Usually we go out to dinner but we will wait till next week.  I'm on antibiotics and it is screwing up my stomach.  I told dh I wanted to ENJOY a birthday dinner  ;)

I will be getting caught up on this week's thread today and tomorrow.  

My answer to last week's question about how much we read each day - 

I read at least an hour a day, often more. I'm not an empty nester, but I only have one at home and he's sixteen so he does most of his school work independently.

When ds was younger I read much less. He was very high maintenance.  :lol:

I do watch tv, but usually only at night with dh. Two of my other hobbies are knitting and crochet, both of which I do while watching tv. I spend more time online than I should or would like to, but I'm working on that. If I only have time to read, watch tv, or go online though, I usually choose reading.

Ds is involved in a few things with our homeschool teen group. Often these things take place too far for me to drop him off and come home. The time and gas would make it foolish for me to do that, so I stay. My Kindle goes with me to all hs activities, and I often spend the time reading (when I'm not hanging out with other parents). There's another mom who likes to read, and she and I often find a quiet place. We talk occasionally, but mostly we're reading buddies.

I'm sorry that your dad is going through such a roller coaster... glad to hear he's doing better.

Till We Have Faces is intriguing, isn't it?  Gets the gears going...

She's an old 11 (old in the sense that she's unusually mature / is one of those kids who has one of those "old souls"; and also that she's much younger than her siblings, so has been exposed to all sorts of arguably-age-inappropriate things for all her life, with and without the knowledge / consent of her parents).  More below...

Re Broken Verses:

So far, I'm loving it. Where I am in the story, the main character is feeling hope & I find my heart tugging in exactly the same way, sharing hope along with her. I'm almost afraid to go forward, not wanting the hope to be dashed. Anyway, not every book can make you empathize to the point that you're feeling the same emotions as the main character. I'm about halfway through, I think.

From Pakistan, I've also read two other books, both of which I recommend & both of which are written by Mohammed Hanif: A Case of Exploding Mangoes (I loved this one) & Our Lady of Alice Bhatti (which I also liked).

I will definitely be seeking out more Pakistani writers myself (so I look forward to seeing your list). On the blog of the lady who did a year of reading books from every country, she has the following list for Pakistan:

Pakistan Mohsin Hamid Moth Smoke; The Reluctant Fundamentalist / Sara Suleri Meatless Days / Bapsi Sidhwa Ice Candy Man; An American Brat; The Pakistani Bride / Bina Shah A Season for Martyrs; Slum Child / Jamil Ahmad The Wandering Falcon / Daniyal Mueenuddin In Other Rooms, Other Wonders / HM Naqvi Home Boy / Uzma Aslam Khan / Musharraf Ali Farooqi The Story of a Widow; Between Clay and Dust / Ali Sethi The Wish Maker / Kamila Shamsie Kartography; Broken Verses; Burnt Shadows / Mohammed Hanif

Thanks.  I always forget to check her list, and spend all sorts of time re-inventing the wheel...  Of her list, I've only read Reluctant Fundamentalist.  One of the reasons Pakistan is attractive is that there's so much written in English!

Not Pam, but I read it a few months ago. If my 13 yo requested to read it, I would let her. I don't think I would suggest it to her myself until she was a little older, maybe 15. The cancer issues are heavy, but she has an aunt (my sister) living through that, so that's already a part of her life. The main characters do have intimate relations at one point--that would keep me from allowing my 11 yo to read it. Even for the 13 yo, that would be her first time reading a book with that in it. I think a high schooler would appreciate the book more.

I agree with this -- if my daughter hadn't asked to read it, I wouldn't have suggested it, but she has (to my great happiness) a handful of reading buddies, and one of them strongly recommended it to her.  (And I remember reading Love Story myself at more or less that age... this is, imo, more appropriate than Love Story.) FWIW, the (one-time) intimacy is fairly allusive, not narrated in detail, and it's just a few paragraphs.  Since I was reading aloud, I skipped them.

Well, we are back from our trip!  Dd19 and I think we could be cowgirls somewhere near Tulsa or Wichita.  I know I said if we moved I wanted green grass and trees, but oh, that prairie grass is beautiful.  Independence, MO was nice as well. It had the green grass and trees. Still no decision on whether or not we will move.  Dh is still deliberating.  

Also, just wanted to say it's my birthday!  I think it will be low key for a change (usually not so much, I really LOVE my birthday lol) because of our trip.  Usually we go out to dinner but we will wait till next week.  I'm on antibiotics and it is screwing up my stomach.  I told dh I wanted to ENJOY a birthday dinner  ;)

Another mother-daughter trip???!!!  Did I miss a BAW memo or something??!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Angel!!!

Ooh, new authors. :drool:   I'll check out those I didn't comment on when I get a few minutes. Thanks!  

I fixed my Charlaine/Charlemagne spell check.  I didn't care for the last book either.  I have read parts of her other series and enjoyed them.  Planning to reread soon because they just became available from my library on kindle, they were epub only before.  I remember them as charming overall.  Not much paranormal , I think someone was haunted, it's been awhile. 

I read a number of books while on my trip.  Those that I recall positively include:

Ilona Andrew's Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4)  (Have you read any books by this husband and wife team, melmichigan? You would probably like them.)

The first book in Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey regency mystery series The Hanover Square Affair.  I've read other books by this author under her other nom de plumes, Jennifer Ashley and Allyson James.  (Melmichigan, she writes paranormal titles under these other names as well as historical romances under the first.)

Carla Kelly's historical romance The Admiral's Penniless Bride.

Thea Harrison's Oracle's Moon (A Novel of the Elder Races).  This paranormal romance has become a comfort book of late; don't ask me why!

Marie Force's  Fatal Mistake: Book Six of The Fatal Series

Regards,

Karen

Welcome Back!!!!  Glad you had a great time and a lovely trip.  Would love details....Did you head north in England or was London the main destination?

Thank you for the great lists.  Apparently I clicked on the wrong post Kareni,  since I have already lost my post once I am going to pretend that it is the right one :lol: You asked if anyone had read First .......from the Grave.  I just went on a wait list for it yesterday, so glad to read the good review! :)

I was able to get some reading done in between grocery runs and doctor visits. I finished  'Longbourne'  by Jo Baker--it is a revisit to Pride and Prejudice but from the point of view of the household staff.  I quite liked it.   

'Princess Elizabeth's  Spy  by Susan Elia NacNeal--the second in the Maggie Hope series,  a fluff book but that is all my brain can handle at the moment.  It was good fluff, though.

Code Name Verity  by Elizabeth Weins.  I got this recommendation from this list.   It was a good read.  Not one that will stay with me but I did like it.

It is great to have you back!  Glad both of your parents are doing well.

I hardly read at all on the trip.  I don't read in the car (get very motion sick) and was dead tired every night.  It will take a couple days to get back into our groove here.  I'm unpacking and beginning laundry.

I will be getting caught up on this week's thread today and tomorrow.  

Happy Birthday!!!!!  My Dd turned 16 today so you have great company!

Oh, and, Tress -- I just put together a connection that you doubtless already know, but... a good hunk of Fault in Our Stars takes place in Amsterdam, with identifiable neighborhoods and historical sites, which I would think would be fun for y'all.

Happy birthday, Angel!  :party:

I finished Before I go to Sleep over the weekend. I had it figured out I just wasn't sure how it was going to come together. :) I'm looking forward to the movie being released. Not sure what I think about Nicole Kidman as Christine, though. :/

Currently reading Stiff by Mary Roach. So disgusting! I can't stop reading it though. It's fascinating and her humor suits me perfectly. :D

Happy Birthday, Angel, from the backseat of the car with the tree-embroidered blue sky spilling into my eyes. Blessings on a wonderful day/year for you!!

All the talk about Pakistani literature is intriguing. My father was born there, well of course it wasn't Pakistan at the time but you get the idea. He spent the first 8 years of his life there, so a fairly significant formative environment.

Happy Birthday Angel! I hope you enjoy your dinner.

I finished Ru over the weekend, just in time for the book club meeting tomorrow night. I really loved it. Many of the reviews complain about how it jumps both time and place, but that's part of what liked about it. It wasn't exactly stream of consciousness, but more like how your brain connects the dots at times when it comes to memories. 

I also started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I'm enjoying it so far, and it looks like it will be a quick read. 

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!  :grouphug:

Another mother-daughter trip???!!!  Did I miss a BAW memo or something??!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Angel!!!

Nope, a family trip to scout out areas where dh's company would like him to move.  Dd and I are just living in a fantasy world where we could possibly be Pioneer Woman, well without the cooking for me! with a ranch and horses lol.

Happy Birthday!!!!!  My Dd turned 16 today so you have great company!

Wish her Happy Birthday for me!

Happy birthday, Angel!  :party:

Happy Birthday, Angel, from the backseat of the car with the tree-embroidered blue sky spilling into my eyes. Blessings on a wonderful day/year for you!!

Happy Birthday Angel! I hope you enjoy your dinner.

I also started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I'm enjoying it so far, and it looks like it will be a quick read. 

Thanks!

And I just ADORE Flavia!!  

Imagine a pool of water with air bubbles floating on the surface....they're being made by me as I finally sink under the sheer amount of tbr books on my list... the one that tipped the scales was The Invention of Wings which just came in on overdrive today. After waiting a month for several ebooks from the library they all came in within a week of each other. At the time I was interested in them but now...I dunno...

And then there are all the books I own that I want to read...It's been a long day of driving and errands so perhaps now isn't the best time to contemplate "The Pile". At any rate just coming up for air to say  :seeya:

Aw, man, I want to do an extended leisurely romp through gardens and literature sites with my mother!  

I can see it now in my mind's eye -- we get up around 8:30 and have a nice English breakfast, with eggs and roasted tomatoes... then we visit the stone cottage of a poet in the morning, and a botanical garden in the afternoon... the garden has a tea shop, so we dip into that for strawberry scones with clotted cream... then we adjourn to our guest house, where we read on the porch until it's time to go to the pub for our fish and chips for dinner...  Aaahhh...

Someday.

Yes!!!

Hap

Ooohh, dinner at Flufferton Abbey...humm mine did not look like that!  :glare:

What are these?!  They look yummy.  I did have cupcakes, though.  Ice cream cake is my favorite but I can't have it anymore, so dh bought me some specialty cupcakes  :w00t:

Happy Birthday Angel.

Coming in a little late but Happy Birthday, Angel! :party:

Thanks again everyone for the beautiful wishes!  

What are these?!  They look yummy.  I did have cupcakes, though.  Ice cream cake is my favorite but I can't have it anymore, so dh bought me some specialty cupcakes  :w00t:

They are French macarons, meringue based cookies with ganache or jam filling.  They seem to be popular at the moment--maybe because they are made without flour?

So this morning my tween ds downloaded The Night Circus from the kindle cloud and has started reading it. He is really enjoying it! And I'm enjoying being able to converse with him about it as normally our tastes diverge wildly--Orcs, elves, half-beasts, shape shifters and other phantasmagoria aren't my thing ;)  I have to say, as a few days have elapsed since my finishing of TNC, that I am enjoying it more and more, if that makes sense. I may even buy it to keep in my library. Pam, mentioned The Windup Bird Chronicles as similar in scope. I may look into that. Stacia, you're a big fan of TWBC, would I like it, do you think? Parallel universes aside... :lol: 

Right now I've got Still Life with Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlen and The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd on my overdrive account. I've got 3 weeks for TIOW and 2 weeks for SLWB but I'm having a hard time settling on something after the joy and magic of TNC. I am Livia is also in the running though I do own that one so there's less of a time pressure. I can't read all three at once though...

So this morning my tween ds downloaded The Night Circus from the kindle cloud and has started reading it. He is really enjoying it! And I'm enjoying being able to converse with him about it as normally our tastes diverge wildly--Orcs, elves, half-beasts, shape shifters and other phantasmagoria aren't my thing ;)  I have to say, as a few days have elapsed since my finishing of TNC, that I am enjoying it more and more, if that makes sense. I may even buy it to keep in my library. Pam, mentioned The Windup Bird Chronicles as similar in scope. I may look into that. Stacia, you're a big fan of TWBC, would I like it, do you think? Parallel universes aside... :lol:

It's funny because I use the library as much as I can for books. After I read The Night Circus (library copy), I then went out & bought a copy (mainly for dd, but also just to have). LOL.

Personally, though I love Murakami, I didn't finish TWBC. It was too dark for me. Plus, since I had already read 1Q84, I felt like TWBC (which was writtten earlier in his career than 1Q84) was a lesser version of his 'masterpiece'. But, maybe I was just in a mood when I was reading it. Knowing your tastes, I would say that you wouldn't like Murakami, generally speaking. (Otoh, I may be wrong; I don't think I guessed that Pam would like him! :laugh: ) If you want to try him, I'd suggest Kafka on the Shore (my fave of his, I think) or 1Q84 (which I consider his masterpiece). I also really enjoyed A Wild Sheep Chase (but it has been so many, many years since I read that one that I don't remember particular details about it). He does have a new one coming out later this year: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. Another way to delve into Murakami is to try some of his non-fiction (which I've never read, but I plan to one day).

They are French macarons, meringue based cookies with ganache or jam filling.  They seem to be popular at the moment--maybe because they are made without flour?

Another food everyone but me seems to love. They're too...airy?...fluffy? I don't know. I don't like meringue so maybe that's why I don't like them.

I have missed these threads for several weeks now. I know I have read a few books since the last time I posted, but not sure what they all were. I just finished the Hunger Games books on Sunday. :cursing: :crying: :ohmy:  That was what my face looked like at the end of Mockingjay. What a depressing book. I have The Monuments Men from the library to read next. I requested it a month or two ago and finally got it.

Another food everyone but me seems to love. They're too...airy?...fluffy? I don't know. I don't like meringue so maybe that's why I don't like them.

But so pretty and very festive in appearance.  It seemed to me that Angel deserved an airy treat on her birthday since she is after all ( :D ) an angel!

I finished three books this past week:  #26 - Michael Vey Rise of the Elgen (reviewed here), #27 - Michael Vey Battle of the Ampere (reviewed here) and #28 -Medea by Euripides (reviewed here).  My allergies have been acting up so the young adult books were perfect for my level of focus.  I ploughed through Medea solely to be able to discuss it with DD, so I will probably revisit it in the future when I can get more out of it. 

To be read:

Julius Caesar to discuss with DD

In progress:

Bible - finished 2 Kings and working through 1 Chronicles on track

History of the Ancient World by Bauer - no chapters this past week

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Collins - read aloud with the boys

Finished:

28.  Medea by Euripides (ancient lit.)

27.  Michael Vey Battle of the Ampere by Evans (Peru)

26.  Michael Vey Rise of the Elgen by Evans (Peru)

25.  Black Order by Rollins (BaW, Germany/Nepal/South Africa)

24.  Michael Vey: the Prisoner of Cell 25 by Evans (USA)

23.  Urchin and the Heartstone by McAllister

22.  Gregor the Overlander by Collins

21.  The Prince of Mist by Zafon

20.  St. Peter's Fair by Peters (12th century, England)

19.  Monk's Hood by Peters (12th century, England)

18.  Map of Bones by Rollins (BaW rec, Italy/Germany/France)

17.  W.A.R.P. Book 1 The Reluctant Assassin by Colfer

16.  Getting Things Done by Allen (non-fiction 646.7)

15.  Urchin of the Riding Stars by McAllister

14.  Agamemnon by Aeschylus (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

13.  One Corpse Too Many by Peters (12th century, England)

12.  Oedipus at Colonus by Sophocles (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

11.  Oedipus the King by Sophocles  (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

10.  The Week That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Bradley (BaW rec, England)

9.  Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Cain (non-fiction 155)

8.  Sandstorm by Rollins (BaW rec, Oman)

7.  The War of the Worlds by Wells (classic lit, Great Britain)

6.  A Morbid Taste for Bones by Peters (12th century, Great Britain)

5.  Anitgone by Sophocles (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

4.  Secrets of an Organized Mom  by Reich (non-fiction 648.5)

3.  Phantastes by MacDonald (classic lit)

2.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley (BaW rec, Great Britain)

1.  The Odyssey by Homer (ancient lit, Greece 883.1)

I finished Before I go to Sleep over the weekend. I had it figured out I just wasn't sure how it was going to come together. :) I'm looking forward to the movie being released. Not sure what I think about Nicole Kidman as Christine, though. :/

:iagree: about the Nicole Kidman thing. Also looking forward to the movie (I think). 

Me neither. I've tried it only once. Not my favorite by any means and I have a huge sweet tooth. They're very pretty, however. :D

But so pretty and very festive in appearance.  It seemed to me that Angel deserved an airy treat on her birthday since she is after all ( :D ) an angel!

Aww!  Thanks!   :001_wub:

I finished three books this past week:  #26 - Michael Vey Rise of the Elgen (reviewed here), #27 - Michael Vey Battle of the Ampere (reviewed here) and #28 -Medea by Euripides (reviewed here).  My allergies have been acting up so the young adult books were perfect for my level of focus.  

I'm glad you enjoyed the Michael Vey books!  Dh and dd13 are eagerly awaiting the next book, though I think it doesn't come out till October or November.

I have 5 books in process right now:

Dante's Inferno

Mr. Knightley's Diary

The Wee Free Men (audio)

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (read aloud)

Catherine, Called Birdy (read aloud)

I've finished two books recently --

Dire Desires: A Novel of the Eternal Wolf Clan by Stephanie Tyler

This is the third book in a paranormal romance series.  If you plan to read them, I'd suggest starting with the first book, Dire Needs.  It's a pleasant series but not a particular favorite of mine.

I enjoyed the second regency mystery in the Captain Lacey series by Ashley Gardner -- A Regimental Murder.

"London 1816

Returning home through a sticky London night in July 1816, Captain Gabriel Lacey is surprised to see a well-dressed, elegant woman stride to the middle of an unfinished bridge. Following her in curiosity, Lacey is on hand to rescue her from an attack by a footpad. As grateful as she is for the help, the lady refuses to give her name and direction, and so Lacey takes her to his own rooms in a street off Covent Garden to rest.

He discovers that she is one Lydia Westin, wife of Colonel Roehampton Westin, who has recently been accused of murdering an English officer in Portugal during the Peninsular War. Before he could come to trial, however, Colonel Westin was found dead at the foot of the staircase in his own house.

Lydia Westin, to Lacey's surprise, declares he was murdered and that she knows the culprits' identities. Intrigued, Lacey begins to investigate, and soon finds himself mired in scandals past and present, with a journalist dogging his footsteps, eager to print Lacey's latest adventure.

Lacey also becomes embroiled with Lydia, a lady with many secrets, and with James Denis, who continues his quest to bring Lacey under his thumb."

For Kindle readers, I see that the first book in the series is available for free -- The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries)

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for the warm welcome back!  I was asked to share a few details of my recent trip with my sister and mother.

We flew to London and then traveled directly to East Grinstead where my mother's sister and brother-in-law live; I hadn't seen them in some twenty years or my adult cousins in (cough, cough) thirty-five years.  While my mother and her sister talk almost daily, they hadn't been face to face in a dozen or so years, so it was a fun reunion.  After staying a few days, my sister and I moved on to London while my mother remained there.  In London, we visited Westminster Abbey  where we stood by Newton's memorial as well as the tombs of other great scientists, writers, poets, and rulers.  It's both amazing and daunting to walk by and/or over tombs and markers that are up to a thousand years old. 

I think that one of the most noticeable things when traveling in England and Europe is the sheer age of one's environs.  It's nothing to be having hot chocolate in a book store and be told that the building has been there since the 1600s or even earlier.  It makes one aware of what a young country the US is.  (And I'm sure someone who has visited the pyramids in Egypt might chuckle at the idea of 1000 years being old!)

We also rode the London Eye (a very large ferris wheel) and toured the British Museum where we saw the Rosetta Stone along with other wonders.  My mother rejoined us several days later and we indulged in a rather contemporary Mad Hatter's high tea.  Scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream -- definitely!

We then rode the EuroStar train, under the British Channel, to Brussels.  We were there only two days and most of that time was spent with family (a cousin of my father's that I'd never met along with her husband).  We did make the time to walk from our hotel to see Manneken Pis.  I'd seen the statue once before as a teen and once again I was struck by just how small it is.

Then we traveled on to Amsterdam where we met my cousin, her husband, their children and grand-children.  This cousin I last saw in 1978; it's safe to say that we've all aged!  We happened to be in Amsterdam during their first King's Day celebration in over 100 years.  The three prior monarchs had been women and on Queen's Day last year, Queen Beatrix abdicated in favor of her son, Willem-Alexander.  This was a rather wild day of celebration, and as we were in the city center we experienced it all first hand.  (There was no public transportation that day and taxis could not operate in the city center.)  My sister and I strolled about since my mother was not capable of navigating the crowds.  While out, we indulged in some poffertjes (tiny pancakes) that we remembered from a previous trip. As the day progressed, crowds were everywhere and the canals swelled with boats filled with dancing and drinking celebrants.  Curiously, all but the die hard partiers went home at nightfall.  The city cleaners had a tremendous job on their hands the next day, but within 24 hours at least 95% of the trash had been picked up. 

While in Amsterday, we visited Keukenhof with its tremendous displays of tulips.  Since Spring came early to the Netherlands, we'd been told that the display was past its prime; however, we found it phenomenal. While there, we revisited the past by eating croquettes, and we also had some delicious strawberries with slagroom (whipped cream).  On other days, we visited the Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt) and Van Gogh museums with their tremendous art works.  Tremendous is the correct word to use as some of Rembrandt's canvases are enormous -- the Night Watch is over eleven by fourteen feet. We also got to tour a working windmill in Sloten.

So, those were the highlights of what was a wonderful trip.  I think all three of us had some reservations about traveling together, but overall it was a positive time with lots of new memories to enjoy.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, your trip sounds wonderful! Ooh, I just snagged the free Kindle book. I'm sure I'll end up having to buy the rest because I can never start a series and not finish it.

Thisclose to being done with American Gods. I thought I'd have finished by now but I've hit a few days where there wasn't much time to read. *sniff* It's still really, really good and I hope to finish it up tonight because I only have around 100 pages left.