Menu

Ahh! Accidentally cooked the chicken with the bag inside!

indigomama

I roast whole chickens all the time because it is a cheap healthy meal for us. Today, I bought a different brand of chicken than I usually buy. I stuck it in the oven, but when I went to pull it out, fully cooked, I realized I had left the bag of giblets inside! Normally, the brand I buy doesn't come with the giblets. 

So, does this mean I have to throw everything out?

Did the giblet bag melt?  Or was it a paper one?  If it was a plastic bag that melted, don't eat it.  But if it didn't melt or was a paper bag, then just pull it out and serve the chicken. 

If it just melted on the end that was sticking out, what would you do? Thanks

Technically, the advice is to throw it all out because of possible fumes from the plastic.  But you asked what I would do - I'd pull it out, cut off the bit of chicken around where it melted and would serve it.  And I would't really worry about it.  

I called my aunt, when I couldn't get a hold of my mom :D , and she said to call Poison Control. I did, and they said it happened all the time, and unless I smelled fumes (which I didn't) that everything should be fine.

Thank you for responding. I think I felt silly, that after all these years of cooking, I did something like that, then I got a little panicky reading online. We ate it, it tasted fine. :001_smile:  I appreciate your encouragement. 

I've made this mistake more than once. (I plead exhausted and in a hurry) I served the chicken anyway and we never had ill effects. Or maybe that's how we all lost our minds. 

It makes sense that it could be bad. I guess I will be more careful in the future.