Menu

AP Exam Study Tips and Commiserations

Here's my little bit of AP Drama... When we showed up for Physics B - he was the only student for that exam - we were told it had been cancelled as not enough people signed up. Of course, we were never told about it. You would think they would let the one student know ahead of time, don't you? So there was a scramble, and we had to wait about 15 minutes, before they got the information that it was the morning AP that had been cancelled, not the afternoon one. PHEW!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my little bit of AP Drama... When we showed up for Physics B - he was the only student for that exam - we were told it had been cancelled as not enough people signed up. Of course, we were never told about it. You would think they would let the one student know ahead of time, don't you? So there was a scramble, and we had to wait about 15 minutes, before they got the information that it was the morning AP that had been cancelled, not the afternoon one. PHEW!

Exactly.  I had a nightmare that this happened to us.  I dreamed that we drove over an hour to get there, and then the cancelled because mine was the only one (which he was).

Thankfully yours worked out, and my nightmare was just that.  NOT true!

My oldest son took it this morning, too.  He felt pretty good about it, although he is naturally a pretty optimistic kid, so we'll see what he actually ends up getting!  He didn't spend tons of time on the class throughout the year, but he did review pretty diligently the past week or 2.  He did say he thought 100 minutes for the FRQs was WAYYYYY too long, and that for the last 40 minutes, no one wrote anything, but just looked around or whatever.  He personally drew some lovely tattoos on his arm with his black ball point pen, LOL.  

DD also took the US Gov and she said by the last 30 minutes, almost all the others were taking a nap.  She took it at a high school known for being academically competitive so the kids sleep whenever they can.  I've heard most of them get only 6 hours or less of sleep every weeknight.

This AP drama is killing me.  It's not even my kid, and I'm nervous for you all.  And also thankful that even when my kid was homeschooled and we were taking APs at the mercy of our local high school, they could not have been more cooperative, and the experience both then and now that she IS a student there, has been as painless as possible.  APs are inherently stressful and dramatic without the venue's or the proctor's or the weather's making it worse.  Hope everyone gets in those last APs and relaxes all weekend!

DD took AP US History yesterday. She's glad that she read her textbook through the Reagan Era and did all the document based practice essays assigned. The kids she talked to after the test were at the Korean War in their AP classes. According to DD, the test was easier than all of the practice quizzes and essays, but we will see when she gets her results back in July.

Gotta be drama.

We were just packed and about to head up north to spend the night closer to the test. I checked the websites one more time and it looks like the district we're testing with has cancelled classes for Friday, including all AP exams.  So unless I hear that my kids were administratively moved to a site that is staying open, it seems that they will be taking the late exam.

That should be interesting, since the times for late exams pile many more tests into each testing session. It is much more intended for individual students who have conflicts than entire districts who have to cancel multiple days worth of school.  I'm not sure the school will have enough seats for everyone testing.

Ah. 

Maybe one of the boys can write a college essay about how he has learned to be adaptive and flexible.

Woah, your 13yo did Physics B? I'm impressed! I didn't let my own touch Physics before he was 16, and yes he was an accelerated child (algebra at 10)

Mind you, one of the reasons was laziness. Physics is a lot of work, and he would rather be playing video games.  Congrats on your son for choosing a different path.

Ds's competitive spirit overpowers his laziness from time to time, and it was definitely the case here! He was originally supposed to be a "tag along" in a mini homeschool class (5 boys) and had no intention of writing the exam until his teacher suggested it. At that point, he just had to take the exam. I'm still not sure that devoting this much time to one subject was a great idea, but he enjoyed it and has even agreed to spend the next few weeks in "writing bootcamp". :)

I'm surprised to hear so much AP drama! Ds took the test at a local public school with an entire class of Physics B students and three other homeschoolers, and everything went very smoothly. 

Calvin has come down with a cold/general malaise.  He has a five day gap before his French exam.  It's his weakest subject (long story) so I'll be coaching him (my degree is in French, and I could have done a much better job than the school did.....)  He's gone to bed early, so I hope he's feeling better tomorrow.

L

Calvin has come down with a cold/general malaise. He has a five day gap before his French exam. It's his weakest subject (long story) so I'll be coaching him (my degree is in French, and I could have done a much better job than the school did.....) He's gone to bed early, so I hope he's feeling better tomorrow.

L

Hope he felt better in time for the French exam.

The boys took Comp Govt yesterday. There were only 9 students and none attended the host school (or if they did they had self studied). They came out pretty content and said they felt like they'd either done really well or bombed.

Hope he felt better in time for the French exam.

The boys took Comp Govt yesterday. There were only 9 students and none attended the host school (or if they did they had self studied). They came out pretty content and said they felt like they'd either done really well or bombed.

I hope it went well for them.  

Calvin has taken his final exam.  He was so wrecked  at the end.  He has no idea how it went.  But it's over.  Done.  Now just to wait for results.

L

I'm just going to add that of course I finally found the box with AP US Government study guides the week after the exam.

We've been unpacking the last boxes of books and I've been cheerfully pitching most of the govt paperwork. Those were very paper intensive courses.

Would you mind letting me know if you planned the AP Comparative Government course yourself or if they took it somewhere?

Thanks,

Would you mind letting me know if you planned the AP Comparative Government course yourself or if they took it somewhere?

Thanks,

I planned the Comp Govt course as a one semester course. I used a couple of the College Board sample syllabi and smashed them together.

We also did a lot of articles. As in most of The Economist each week and several articles from places like Foreign Policy.