Menu

At home Italian?

My son has dabbled in Italian for the past couple of years, but now that he's entering high school we need to make it more official.  The high school doesn't offer Italian so we'll have to do it on our own and wondering what should be included/how?  We have the Rosetta Stone and a few other books.  I'm looking at doing this as cheaply as possible too and so far a couple online places I've come across are too expensive.

Jamie

We are doing Italian at home. We are using Prego! An Invitation to Italian. There is a textbook, a workbook for exercises, a set of CDs with a lab workbook to do listening exercises, and the audio files are also available on the free companion website.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073535265/student_view0/

We have purchased all materials used.

We are supplementing with grammar drill books from the Practice Makes perfect series and with duolingo for fun vocabulary and grammar practice.

I like the materials. The only reason our progress is not as fast as I would wish is that we are not diligent enough to spend the amount of time learning a foreign language requires.

I think we will be able to get through Italian 2 this way; after that, we need to find a tutor for conversation and composition practice. Since I do not speak Italian, I can be neither a conversation partner nor am I qualified to evaluate composition beyond simple grammar practice sentences.