Menu

Soo went to the store to buy Behind the Counter Allergy Medicine

I wanted to get the 24 hour pills so I would only have to mess with it once a day. I did not pay attention to it until I got home and opened the box. There are 10 pills.  :huh:  :confused1:  :cursing:  :banghead:  I cannot get more for 30 days. I am putting in a call to my allergist to see about going back on a prescription drug again because there is no way in sam hill I am going to risk getting as sick as I have in the past. I take Benadryl at night year round but need more in peak allergy season.

What idiot decided that 10 days worth of medication is perfect for the boxes behind the counter that can only be bought once every 30 days.

You can buy more, just not more than 30 every 30 days. DH bought 10, then 10, then wasn't able to buy 15 (which of course was cheapest). It's totally messed up! You can get a prescription for them as well, but it's cheaper for us to buy the Kirkland version from the Costco pharmacy OTC than buy it as a prescription for some weird reason.

You can buy more, just not more than 30 every 30 days. DH bought 10, then 10, then wasn't able to buy 15 (which of course was cheapest). It's totally messed up! You can get a prescription for them as well, but it's cheaper for us to buy the Kirkland version from the Costco pharmacy OTC than buy it as a prescription for some weird reason.

Yeah, I am getting a prescription for it. Well, maybe. I found out it *might* interfere with my heart medication so I am playing phone tag with my cardiologist and allergist. I am waiting to hear back from cardiology to see if it does. Though to be honest, I do not care. I NEVER want to be as sick as I was with allergies again.

It drives me batty trying to buy sudafed these days. I had an international drivers license the first 6 months back here, but I have a military ID, which is much harder to counterfeit, etc. Didn't matter- no drivers license they could scan (ie, a state license) no sudafed. Their stupid system only accepted that as a form of ID for tracking, not a passport, nothing else. Sent a neighbor for me to buy it, as dh didn't have an ID that work either. Then we went over the "allotted" amount we could buy at our corner store another time...look. I am north of 40, hauling kids around, I clearly am not cooking meth with my measly 2 boxes of sudafed!

We find it easier to get it from a dr prescription now too, even though the dr visit is unnecessary really since Ds knows what works for him and we could just buy it if it wasn't such a huge PITA!

It drives me batty trying to buy sudafed these days. I had an international drivers license the first 6 months back here, but I have a military ID, which is much harder to counterfeit, etc. Didn't matter- no drivers license they could scan (ie, a state license) no sudafed. Their stupid system only accepted that as a form of ID for tracking, not a passport, nothing else. Sent a neighbor for me to buy it, as dh didn't have an ID that work either. Then we went over the "allotted" amount we could buy at our corner store another time...look. I am north of 40, hauling kids around, I clearly am not cooking meth with my measly 2 boxes of sudafed!

We find it easier to get it from a dr prescription now too, even though the dr visit is unnecessary really since Ds knows what works for him and we could just buy it if it wasn't such a huge PITA!

be glad you can get it at all.  Our country has decided not to prescribe it at all, ever - you simply cannot get it.  They say there are other things that work as well.  I say they are wrong.  I am seriously considering traveling to a country where I can buy it OTC and trying to being the rest of the packet back with me!

Woohoo!! Just heard back from cardiology, I am cleared to take it! Now to call allergy and get the script. Woohoo! I can continue breathing! It's the little things in life, breathing being one that brings me great joy.

I don't know if it would affect your other meds, but nasal steroid spray can work really well. I dearly miss breathing myself. Being pregnant and nursing for the past three pollen seasons, I've been limited to honey. There's a kind available OTC now (Nasonex maybe?). Happy breathing! :)

Last time DH was sick I went through the hassle of getting Sudafed from behind the counter.  The pharmacy tech asked me if I wanted the small or the big box. I went for the big box as I didn't want to come back and need more.

I get why they do this, but it's still a pain.  The other meds do not work the same. I don't care what they say.  It's the same with levoythyroxin and branded Synthroid.  Not.the.same.

Seriously? What if you have multiple allergy sufferers in one house?

I mean, I know that people are using these drugs for bad things... but there must be a less annoying way, right?

You would think.

The deal with OTC cough medicine is just as bad. A few years back all five of us had a nasty cold. DH and I needed different medications, the older kids needed a different medication than our youngest, (He still needed an infant formula), and they would not let me buy what I needed. I had three sneezing, hacking kids in the cart, was running through an ungodly number of tissues myself and ended up having to send my sister to get one of the meds because they couldn't let me buy more than 3. I remember wondering what large families do and vowing to NEVER be caught without a full bottle of every medication we use for the kids in reserve.

I don't know if it would affect your other meds, but nasal steroid spray can work really well. I dearly miss breathing myself. Being pregnant and nursing for the past three pollen seasons, I've been limited to honey. There's a kind available OTC now (Nasonex maybe?). Happy breathing! :)

Nasocort. I was so happy to discover that, I actually jumped up and down a little in the drug store.

I can't take sudafed (or any other decongestant or expectorant). Even taking one little 6 hour pill two days in a row jacks my heart rate up to icky levels and makes me hallucinate. I must have the metabolism of an elderly cat.

be glad you can get it at all.  Our country has decided not to prescribe it at all, ever - you simply cannot get it.  They say there are other things that work as well.  I say they are wrong.  I am seriously considering traveling to a country where I can buy it OTC and trying to being the rest of the packet back with me!

What country do you live in?

What works better than Sudafed?

The nasal sprays have not been a big success in our household.

As far as meth operations being affected by the Sudafed limitation -- anecdotally, there was a significant reduction in meth cooking around us (at least in the number of arrests that made the news).  Also, when we were looking for a house recently, we had to have the "meth clause" explained to us.  Apparently it was a big deal just a few years ago around here -- and manufacturing meth in a house can pretty much destroy the structural integrity  (so the realtor told us -- I don't know if that's actually true).  But this was so much of a problem that a special form has to be filled out for each house sale, stating that the seller has no knowledge of meth being produced in the property.

So I suspect there's been a definite correlation between limiting Sudafed and meth operations going down.  Whether the reduction is actually caused by the Sudafed limitation is, of course, probably open to debate, but I don't think anyone wants to do the experiment of allowing lots of Sudafed to be sold again and see if meth rates go up.

In our area, the amount of Sudafed you can buy is limited by grams, not by number of pills.  And you can get anyone to buy it for you if they haven't exceeded their limit.  (Don't know if that's legal, but no one's ever told me it's not.)

Seriously?  What if you have multiple allergy sufferers in one house?

I mean, I know that people are using these drugs for bad things...  but there must be a less annoying way, right?

Where we run into problems is that different products work better for different family members  Allegra-D works best for me. Mucinex-D works best for daughter and Claritin-D for my boys. If we all got colds at the same time it made for big problems.

You must live where I do...I knew it was coming. I did stockpile. But, it won't last forever; especially with as many people with allergies in our house. I much prefer to take Sudafed. I can take other otc allergy medicines all day at the top dose and get zero relief. I can take ONE (that is a half a dose) 4-6 hr pill in the morning with Sudafed and be fine all day. At night, it is Benadryl time. I had much rather take a half a dose a day and avoid the large quantities of other drugs. 

And, you are correct, the making the driver's license, hugely watched law had almost zero decrease in illegal drug production. There was an initial decrease, but the makers figured out how to get around it. Today, it comes straight up from Mexico. Or, the in country makers are turning to things like battery acid and drain cleaner to produce meth instead. Result? A cheaper, more appealing to the masses, more dangerous drug. (Me, I think it would be better to let them have access to the cold medicine!) Thus, the new, more strenuous guidelines for purchasing. They can't stop us from being able to clean our drains and have batteries...Wait, they probably just haven't thought of it yet. More insane laws to come...

Quick search to support: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidwhelan/2012/05/23/losing-the-war-on-meth-and-sudafed-at-the-same-time/

Edited by Lolly

We all take Sudafed and I have to buy the "big box" each month(some months 2). Only the local Wally and CVS have stopped carrying the cheap big box.  So instead we can only get 3 little boxes at nearly 3X the price.  So their plan to stop Meth manufacturers from getting sudafed is costing me an extra 12-15 per month and oh yeah, we're still one of the biggest areas for meth. Seriously over it.

I can relate. In Australia medications work differently, and a doctor actually cannot give a written prescription for an OTC medication, and yet there are restrictions on some medications which it would REALLY help to sort out if they could. I use a particular medication for my hyperemesis (not zofran) which is OTC here. But it comes in boxes of 10 pills. Not 10 days, 10 pills. 4 pills per day when I am on max dose, and that's if I don't vomit a dose up within 2 minutes of taking it and need to re-take (I can actually feel a distinct difference about 20 minutes after taking it so I know whether it's begun to be absorbed or not, not ODing, I've taken this for a combined 2 years between 3 pregnancies now.). 2 and a half days worth of pills per box is SO FRUSTRATING

I have done extensive research (It is not 'approved' for pregnancy, just like 90% of medications, but I have read just about everything written on it and can give all that info to whoever needs it). I have had it approved for use in my case as a 'benefits outweigh the risks' situation by no less than 3 doctors, and a number of midwives etc. I have taken it for 3 pregnancies. You'd think I am exactly the sort of person they would comfortably sell to. The problem? The stupid drug (or, one component of the two actually) is a hallucinogenic, and there is a small group of people who buy this drug, take two boxes, and fry their brains. So it is made impossible to get for the rest of us!

This pregnancy I tried again to do it the 'right way'. I went to a local chemist and spoke to the pharmacist. I explained my history, situation, etc honestly. She was all like

'but, the book, see those letters, they mean not reccomended'

'I know that, I have discussed it extensively with doctors and in my case the risks outweigh the benefits'

'But the book says not reccomended!'

'I know, I have taken it in two previous pregnancies'

'I doubt your doctor is having you take something that isn't reccomended'

to myself, silently in my head while I smiled sweetly *seriously lady?! do you have any idea how many medications are supposedly unsafe in pregnancy? Basically any prescription you fill for a pregnant woman is going to be not recommended in your little book!*

She said she had a bad experience with selling the drug before, I assume they have had an issue with it being used as a drug. She asked me to go and get a doctors note to prove the doctor had approved me, which I grudgingly did because I was all out of pills and needed to buy some that day. Got approval from my 4th doctor and he wrote a note on a prescription paper which is all he could do. Took it to the chemist and she said 'well this note is only for 1 box, so I'll sell you one box for now and I am going to do some research myself, and I'll call you and let you know if I am going to let you buy any more'. She seemed confused why I would be freaking out at her only selling a single box after I had gone and gotten the completely unneeded doctors note she requested (I might have a little anxiety if I don't have access to pills, my first pregnancy went untreated a long time and not having a box available to me sends me into a panic attack. I don't take it when I don't need it, in fact I've just weaned myself off in prep for the birth because there is some evidence that it can effect breathing if it is in baby's system at birth, so I am always off by 34-36 weeks. I just want the safety net so I know I will never be in the state I was in with my first. Yes it's irrational, long term build up of issues caused the problems with her, whatever.). Oh and she took the doctors note so I couldn't use it anywhere else. Sigh. Guess who never called of course.

Thankfully the medication is not tracked with any sort of system or drivers license, nothing stops someone from going to 10 chemists and buying a box or two at each (legally they can sell 4 to a single customer, but almost no one will sell more than 2). So the whole process seems utterly pointless to me. No one will sell to me because they have to ask what it is for, and as soon as they can tell I am pregnant it doesn't matter if I tell the truth or lie and say it's for another use, they wont sell it to me. So we went back to my husband chemist hopping once a week, trying to collect 3 or 4 boxes from a couple of chemists a half hour away and space out the visits so no one recognizes him (yes, he has been refused sale for seeing the same chemist to get it 3 times in one month. Even though, may I remind you, the boxes only contain enough pills for 2.5 DAYS at max dose). This is not some scary unheard of drug with huge side effects, this is something with almost no side effects except the hallucinogenic effect if ODed on, and is bought as a single box by plenty of people every day to use 'as needed' as an OTC medication. It's not like I am buying masses of codeine here or something. (the only reason I am not mentioning the specific medicine is because of the differences in names between countries, and I am too lazy today to check the US name for the two components)

I'd be screwed if they implemented a drivers license scan and central system. 

The other meds do not work the same. I don't care what they say.  

Sudafed (or the generic) is the only one that works when I'm completely stuffed up and have a sinus headache. I stockpile during non-allergy season. 

Nasocort. I was so happy to discover that, I actually jumped up and down a little in the drug store.

Oh yay! I take Flonase in addition to Sudafed. Nasacort works just fine for me too. I might just switch. For ds this is a big deal. He also uses steroid nasal spray. He can't take Sudafed because his ADHD medicine already increases his heart rate. I almost want to run out and buy some right now.

Woohoo!! Just heard back from cardiology, I am cleared to take it! Now to call allergy and get the script. Woohoo! I can continue breathing! It's the little things in life, breathing being one that brings me great joy. 

I can't take it and I am having a hard time with what? is it allergies? Now my ear is starting to hurt too. I have been using Aller-none and it helps but maybe this is a virus. I used to take Sudafed for sinus problems too then 3 years ago, BOOM, heart surgery and now there's nothing they let me take for sinus congestion. NOTHING. Cardiologist and pharmacist both said huh uh.

Huh. Sudafed was the only thing I was cleared to take when pregnant for sinus stuff. And I'm an herbalist?

AAAACHOOOOOO. Next I will be loosing my voice.

I can relate. In Australia medications work differently, and a doctor actually cannot give a written prescription for an OTC medication, and yet there are restrictions on some medications which it would REALLY help to sort out if they could. I use a particular medication for my hyperemesis (not zofran) which is OTC here. But it comes in boxes of 10 pills. Not 10 days, 10 pills. 4 pills per day when I am on max dose, and that's if I don't vomit a dose up within 2 minutes of taking it and need to re-take (I can actually feel a distinct difference about 20 minutes after taking it so I know whether it's begun to be absorbed or not, not ODing, I've taken this for a combined 2 years between 3 pregnancies now.). 2 and a half days worth of pills per box is SO FRUSTRATING

I have done extensive research (It is not 'approved' for pregnancy, just like 90% of medications, but I have read just about everything written on it and can give all that info to whoever needs it). I have had it approved for use in my case as a 'benefits outweigh the risks' situation by no less than 3 doctors, and a number of midwives etc. I have taken it for 3 pregnancies. You'd think I am exactly the sort of person they would comfortably sell to. The problem? The stupid drug (or, one component of the two actually) is a hallucinogenic, and there is a small group of people who buy this drug, take two boxes, and fry their brains. So it is made impossible to get for the rest of us!

This pregnancy I tried again to do it the 'right way'. I went to a local chemist and spoke to the pharmacist. I explained my history, situation, etc honestly. She was all like

'but, the book, see those letters, they mean not reccomended'

'I know that, I have discussed it extensively with doctors and in my case the risks outweigh the benefits'

'But the book says not reccomended!'

'I know, I have taken it in two previous pregnancies'

'I doubt your doctor is having you take something that isn't reccomended'

to myself, silently in my head while I smiled sweetly *seriously lady?! do you have any idea how many medications are supposedly unsafe in pregnancy? Basically any prescription you fill for a pregnant woman is going to be not recommended in your little book!*

She said she had a bad experience with selling the drug before, I assume they have had an issue with it being used as a drug. She asked me to go and get a doctors note to prove the doctor had approved me, which I grudgingly did because I was all out of pills and needed to buy some that day. Got approval from my 4th doctor and he wrote a note on a prescription paper which is all he could do. Took it to the chemist and she said 'well this note is only for 1 box, so I'll sell you one box for now and I am going to do some research myself, and I'll call you and let you know if I am going to let you buy any more'. She seemed confused why I would be freaking out at her only selling a single box after I had gone and gotten the completely unneeded doctors note she requested (I might have a little anxiety if I don't have access to pills, my first pregnancy went untreated a long time and not having a box available to me sends me into a panic attack. I don't take it when I don't need it, in fact I've just weaned myself off in prep for the birth because there is some evidence that it can effect breathing if it is in baby's system at birth, so I am always off by 34-36 weeks. I just want the safety net so I know I will never be in the state I was in with my first. Yes it's irrational, long term build up of issues caused the problems with her, whatever.). Oh and she took the doctors note so I couldn't use it anywhere else. Sigh. Guess who never called of course.

Thankfully the medication is not tracked with any sort of system or drivers license, nothing stops someone from going to 10 chemists and buying a box or two at each (legally they can sell 4 to a single customer, but almost no one will sell more than 2). So the whole process seems utterly pointless to me. No one will sell to me because they have to ask what it is for, and as soon as they can tell I am pregnant it doesn't matter if I tell the truth or lie and say it's for another use, they wont sell it to me. So we went back to my husband chemist hopping once a week, trying to collect 3 or 4 boxes from a couple of chemists a half hour away and space out the visits so no one recognizes him (yes, he has been refused sale for seeing the same chemist to get it 3 times in one month. Even though, may I remind you, the boxes only contain enough pills for 2.5 DAYS at max dose). This is not some scary unheard of drug with huge side effects, this is something with almost no side effects except the hallucinogenic effect if ODed on, and is bought as a single box by plenty of people every day to use 'as needed' as an OTC medication. It's not like I am buying masses of codeine here or something. (the only reason I am not mentioning the specific medicine is because of the differences in names between countries, and I am too lazy today to check the US name for the two components)

I'd be screwed if they implemented a drivers license scan and central system.

You know, if they have medical marijuana where you live, it might be safer and less hassle than what you're taking... Read a Mothering magazine article on it a few years back.

Putting Sudafed behind the counter here was stupid. Most the meth on the streets here was coming up from Mexico before they took Sudafed off the regular shelves because it was cheaper. All it did was inconvenience sick people.

I get why they do this, but it's still a pain.  The other meds do not work the same. I don't care what they say.  It's the same with levoythyroxin and branded Synthroid.  Not.the.same.

Ooh! Tell me more about this. I'm on levoythyroxin now.