Menu

WJ-III question

If it was scored by age then it doesn't matter what grade was noted.  You can't score the WJ-III by hand, you have to score it on the computer and you have to choose age or grade norms. For first graders, it can be helpful to score it both ways so you can compare your child to other first graders since a first grader could be 5, 6, or 7. Also you will be able to get grade equivalent scores (which should be interpreted with caution). It takes all of about 45 seconds to correct the grade and score it by grade. (Click on the program icon, find the subject, correct grade, find the test, click score report, click by grade) You could call the examiner and ask to correct the grade and reprint the scores. You may want to reference them in the future and then you would have to explain they put down the wrong grade. Ask the person they could also print out the score report by grade. 

I did get grade equivalents, would those change?

ETA:  I assumed the scores & percentiles would change, but not the grades.

No the grade equivalents would stay the same since they are based on the raw score. The standard score and percentile rank will change only slightly if you have an average age first grader, but if you have a very young or a very old first grader there can be quite a bit of difference in the standard scores and percentile ranks. For example a first grader who is still six years old might only read a few words and score average in letter word id, because many 6 year olds are still in kindergarten. When compared to other kids who are finishing first grade, the standard score might be below average. Did you get a copy of the WJIII print out or is it a report that the examiner retyped the scores into a new table? Here is an example of what the computer print out says under Score Report: 

Woodcock-Johnson III Normative Update Tests of Achievement (Form A)
WJ III NU Compuscore and Profiles Program, Version 3.0

Norms based on age 6-10  

Make sure the norms say age -month not grade

I did not get the print out, just the retyped table. He's an "old" first grader, November birthday. It probably won't change the scores much.

It gave both grade and age equivalents. They were listed like you said, with the dashes. (Age-month)

Thank you for explaining this stuff!

If he is an older first grader the scores will change. His standard scores will be higher compared to first graders as compared to 7 year olds since many 7 year olds are in second grade.  I just turned on the program and played around with some scores. For example, if a  child who is 7 year old, 5 month has got a raw score of 48 on the letter-word id test that would be a standard score of 128 (97th percentile rank) compared to other first graders, but compared to other children that same age the standard score would only be 121(92nd percentile rank). Or for example a raw score of 20 on reading fluency at that age would be a standard score of 105 (average range) but compared to other first graders it would be 113 (high average). 

I will add... I don't think the WJIII is the best academic test. It gives a general idea of how kids are doing but don't read too much into it. The reading fluency is the same no matter if you are a first grader or a college student! You read simple sentences and circle yes or no. The reading comprehension is cloze sentences and some sentences are dated. A new edition is coming out this fall. 

We just used it to send to the school board for our state requirements. It is also helpful to see the scatter between his fluency scores and everything else. I'm not going to use it to purchase curricula though. ;)

Gifted kids sometimes have low reading and writing fluency scores because they over think the question. For example, on the reading fluency test you read a sentence like "An elephant is big" and circle yes or no. Some kids start thinking "well, big compared to what a blue whale, T-Rex, a planet?, then maybe no but big compared to a mouse maybe yes" and are reluctant to circle quickly. On the writing fluency you don't get extra points for adding more words so you look at a picture and there are three words (ex. Drive, car, I) and you write a sentence. You get the same credit writing "I drive the car." as you do "I drive the red race car on the freeway." Longer sentences take longer to write so you don't end up writing as many. Lower fluency scores could mean something or nothing at all.

• 3 months later...