Menu

UGH, trying out new ADHD meds again

Am I the only one that HATES changing their child's medication?! We have been using Adderal from the get go. We started at 5mg, then 10mg, then 10mg XR. We have been using 10mg XR for a long time, probably a year now. It does have it's side-effects and I have been attempting to change the side-effects at home. The medicine itself enables him to do his Math, which was a no go before meds. However, the meds exaggerate his perfectionism, makes him not hungry and as of late, keeps him from staying asleep. He routinely has only 5 hours of sleep a night.

I called the dr. office today because I see that he needs rest. He isn't happy when medicated but can't do his school work without it. I was hoping they would suggest melatonin or something over the counter to try first but they stated they want him to come in and need to change his medication.

I HATE changing medications. I have to keep a stupid little journal. They want us to come in this evening. No other appts this week are available and they want to change it before next week so we can have a solid school week and then re-evaluate. So the appointment screws up a play date I had arranged.

I'm just whining. Ignore me.

Are there any questions I should ask when changing medications? He is inattentive type, not hyperactive. That is why the adderal was recommended over the non-stimulant kind.

It's so hard to find the right meds, especially since our kids are constantly growing and changing. My DD is on a large group of meds and trying to find the right combinations that work but don't have nasty side effects is really hard. It's a constant battle for us. I have no real advice, just commiseration. I'm sorry! Good luck!

Well, there's no reason you can't use melatonin without the doctor's blessing. It's been recommended to me by my ped and the psych nurse.

I'm assuming the doc feels the meds are not a good fit, but I understand wanting to avoid big changes. Are you giving the meds by 7 am? Can the dosage be lowered? Maybe you could do Adderall (short acting) at breakfast and lunch, which may wear off before bedtime, unlike the XR version.

My youngest responds poorly to stimulants - it exacerbates his perfectionism, makes him even more high-strung (emotionally fragile), and kills his appetite. Then he runs out of fuel and falls apart, but can't eat. That's not a solution and the net effect is worse than no meds. This is even true on 5 mg of generic short-acting Ritalin. He's got other issues too that come into play, and his reaction to stimulants was one of the key pieces of info that helped clarify things. So it may be that your doctor wants to suss out whether there are comorbid issues with the ADD.

My other son does really well on Concerta (he is super hyper/impulsive and inattentive) but needs clonidine AND melatonin to sleep. We just muddle through because it's the best we can do.

Mandylubug,

It may not be my place to say so, but please, please feel free to whine here. I always try to remember the people who are struggling with something or who have asked for prayer each night when I pray.

If it weren't for the opportunity to vent here, I'd be a mess and I would have burned all bridges in my real life a long time ago. Many times I've vented here or if it feels too private, I've pm'd kind souls for support on a bad day.

I'm sorry for your ds's lack of sleep. I've had bad sleep for two nights due to an itchy rash one of my dd's is dealing with now and I've had a rough two days. I can only imagine how it must be for your ds everyday, and for you. I hope you are able to find a med that helps your ds get his math done and allows him to sleep. It couldn't hurt to try the melatonin idea first. A couple of days of that would give you an indication if it would help, and if not, you'll be prepared to try something new.

Take care!

Thank you all for the support. This forum is truly my safe haven. We are part of a co-op but none of our close family and friends homeschool. We feel like the black sheep. So, thanks again for being supportive :D

We did have our appointment. The Dr. felt that the meds weren't a good fit and we are trying one last stimulant before trying strattara or however you spell it, lol. He stated that stimulants typically work best with inattentive, impulsive children. We have tried the regular, non extended release of adderal and had major "crashes" when it wore off. The Adderal XR is causing extreme perfectionism, he's added in a nervous habit of picking at his nails (instead of tapping a finger or bouncing a leg, he picks at his nails) he isn't sleeping nor eating. SO, here we go with this medication. He said if it was just sleeping that was an issue, that he would recommend trying melatonin. He is more concerned with his other issues. I had dealt with the other issues because we were finally making progress in Math.

Our last "stimulant" med to try is Vyvanse. Wow is it crazy expensive if you didn't have insurance. The pharmacy told me about going online for a co-pay coupon as well. Full price was $252 for 30 pills, our insurance co-pay was $48 and coupon brought it down to $30. I am willing to pay this but I can't imagine anyone without insurance having to pay that full price. It is INSANE!

Have you tried Dexedrine?  It is an older med and MUCH cheaper.  It works great here for my inattentive, impulsive one.

Has he tried regular Ritalin?  There are many different stimulants and they all work just a bit differently.

Two of my three AD/HD kids use Adderall XR. Sleep is an issue, but not as much as it used to be.  Keys for us: melatonin, good sleep hygiene, solid routine, and get them their meds early in the day. I do not like having to change things around either.  Best wishes!

melatonin, good sleep hygiene, solid routine, and get them their meds early in the day. 

I need some help.

1. How much melatonin do you generally give and at what time?

How long is it safe to take melatonin?

I give my 9yo dd 250 mcg just before bedtime. I tried to halve the dose and it was not effective.

Melatonin has been VERY helpful for my 9 yo dd. She now goes to bed at 8:30 instead of 9:30/10:00 and wakes up at 6:30 a happy and well-rested child. I think it has helped her overall energy and mood during school and homework. We started this new routine about a month ago.

2. What is good sleep hygiene? Do you mean a warm bath and changing into pyjamas at bedtime?

I need some help.

1. How much melatonin do you generally give and at what time?

How long is it safe to take melatonin?

I give my 9yo dd 250 mcg just before bedtime. I tried to halve the dose and it was not effective.

Melatonin has been VERY helpful for my 9 yo dd. She now goes to bed at 8:30 instead of 9:30/10:00 and wakes up at 6:30 a happy and well-rested child. I think it has helped her overall energy and mood during school and homework. We started this new routine about a month ago.

2. What is good sleep hygiene? Do you mean a warm bath and changing into pyjamas at bedtime?

My children receive 3mg (we started at 1mg and worked up, DH takes 5 mg) about 30-45 min before sleep time (usually at the start of their night time routine, which often takes 30-45 minutes because their ADHD meds have worn off by that point  :glare:)

Sleep hygiene includes things like not reading in bed (bed is a place for sleep) - they read on the floor or a comfy seat in their rooms, keep light stimulation down, turning off screens at least an hour before bedtime, being consistent about ritual things in the last 10 minutes before sleep (for example: set my alarm, get a drink, then prayers and kisses, then get my stuffed animal, then in bed), having a thought routine while in bed (self-directed relaxation technique), using white noise or "s;espy songs", etc.  

Thank you for the detailed info.

My children receive 3mg (we started at 1mg and worked up, DH takes 5 mg) about 30-45 min before sleep time

And how long is it safe to keep taking melatonin? Does the body stop being able to make its own melatonin after a while?

We talked about starting melatonin with the doctor who is treating her for allergies, and he also mentioned 3mg as the std dose. But he didn't say anything about how long to keep taking it and I didn't think to ask then. If you have researched this before, the info will help me.

Thanks!

I realize I'm coming into the conversation late, but I wanted to recommend GABA and essential oils for sleep. GABA allows relaxation so sleep can actually take place. Melatonin did not work for my DD, but GABA will work for her. You can rub essential oils on the bottom of their feet or diffuse it into their room. Lavender would be a top pick for sleep, but there are others too. Sleep makes such a huge difference for anyone's mental, emotional and physical health.