Menu

Easy Grammar Plus

MrsMe

DD decided to do Easy Grammar Plus which she placed into instead of Hake next year.  Which is fine.  Is there anything that would be quirky that we should know, coming into EG at this stage, other than knowing our prepositions? 

DD decided to do Easy Grammar Plus which she placed into instead of Hake next year.  Which is fine.  Is there anything that would be quirky that we should know, coming into EG at this stage, other than knowing our prepositions? 

I don't think there would be anything you need to be concerned about.  I'll actually be using it next year for Robin.  Grammar, reading, spelling has been a real challenge for him and I'd like him to get one more year of something solid in grammar.  The real reason I'm replying, though, is to mention that there are EG individual high school levels now (just in case you didn't know, but you probably know).  It's their Ultimate series.  I'm not sure how long they've been around, but I only found out about EGU recently.  I think it's great that they extended EG beyond the Plus book.

It isn't even necessary to know the prepositions before you start. Just jump right in. :-)

I had my kids do EG plus after never having done EG before. It's pretty much open and go. Occasionally I wished for more help with explaining a concept but overall, I felt it was easy to do even with no prior experience.

As for the prepositions, I told the kids we were going to spend the week memorizing them, and if they could both say 45-50 of the 53 by the end of the week, we'd go out for ice cream. They did and we did :).

It does shift the method to be about removing prepositional phrases first.  Knowing the list of common prepositions first would be helpful.  You can find a list online.  You can also watch the videos on the easygrammar.com website.  They have one specifically for prepositions. The only other list that might be helpful since it comes up a lot, is the list of auxillary (or helping) verbs.  They have them listed in order in the previous books so that the child learns the different verb tenses with them.  If your child already knows the helping verbs, no biggie.  PM me if you want me to type them out to you.  Those would be the only things that I would find awkward when just jumping in.  Other than that, they might pop up with a question about a term or find one area that they have already covered quite considerably in previous levels so there are only a question or two now.  For those, a Google search could probably get you a few more sentences.

We skipped the fourth grade books (it was a comprehensive review) and did not find many issues at all.  At that point, I was no grammar whiz either and could answer any questions he had.

It does shift the method to be about removing prepositional phrases first.  Knowing the list of common prepositions first would be helpful.  You can find a list online.  You can also watch the videos on the easygrammar.com website.  They have one specifically for prepositions. The only other list that might be helpful since it comes up a lot, is the list of auxillary (or helping) verbs.  They have them listed in order in the previous books so that the child learns the different verb tenses with them.  If your child already knows the helping verbs, no biggie.  PM me if you want me to type them out to you.  Those would be the only things that I would find awkward when just jumping in.  Other than that, they might pop up with a question about a term or find one area that they have already covered quite considerably in previous levels so there are only a question or two now.  For those, a Google search could probably get you a few more sentences.

We skipped the fourth grade books (it was a comprehensive review) and did not find many issues at all.  At that point, I was no grammar whiz either and could answer any questions he had.

We know a good portion of the prepositions and already know the helping verbs.  Thanks though for the offer.  Very sweet. :)  Seems like we're good!  But I'm going to watch the video.