Menu

Phonics Pathways or Spalding for remediation 2nd grade?

RosieCotton

Just curious what your thoughts are on this one.

My niece is finishing up 2nd grade in PS and is in the bottom 1/3 of her class in both math and reading. Whatever they are using just isnt working for her. (Don't know which programs).

Which program do you think is easiest for remediation purposes, to use ideally "over the summer" for her to catch her up in reading skills?

I have read such great things about Spalding from Ellie, and have just ordered the 4th edition to compare it to what we've done here, and I just can't seem to stop looking at reading curriculum in search of THE one as I have an anxious 4 year old girl quickly moving thru the first few Bob books.

Spalding looks really great so I'm excited to see what it contains!

I'd love to chart out a path for the parents to use with her over the summer (and into next year most likely), although they are not too involved as parents so we need something open and go for them.

I've had this child in our classroom and she is bright and eager. She's just not getting what she needs and I don't want her to fall behind so early on.

I need to get a better feel on where she is stuck specifically, I know, but wanted to reach out to get your opinions on the above 2 programs for remediation use and any advice you could give me.

I've looked at a few reading tests online to see where she is currently, although I'm sure if I just sat with her I could figure it out as well. . . .

Thanks in advance.

For a summer remediation?  

I'd go Dancing Bears all the way! (But that wasn't one of your choices. :p)

Oh and yes - please give me thoughts on other choices of course. !

I think it will end up being more of a commitment than a summer course, so I was looking for something comprehensive for her.

I'll check this out too thanks!

I remediated one of my sons with a program based on Spalding.  (Spell to Write and Read and the Wise Guide)  He did so amazingly well, that I used SWR with my two younger children as well. 

I used Phonics Pathways with the same son, and it did not help him at all.  He needed the intensive and systematic review that the Spalding method provides.  It covers all learning modalities and everything is reviewed on a regular basis. 

If you feel like you need to have some hand-holding in remediating your niece, then I might suggest All About Reading.  I've got several friends who have had excellent results with it. 

Blessings,

Yvonne

Homeschooling since 1998

Mom to Matt (22), Drew (20), Sam (16) and Grace (10)

http://www.notperfect-justordinary.blogspot.com

http://www.yvonneferlita.blogspot.com

She is going to need nonsense words.

I recommend the things on my how to tutor page, they are designed for a remedial older child taught with sight words and AR whole language books and guided reading.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

If you want a book, "We All Can Read," for a girl her age I would get the 3rd grade and up book.

http://weallcanread.com/

I do not like his online program, but the books are good. Someone who has taught phonics doesn't need the teacher's manual.

She could also watch my online lessons, even easier for them.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this one.

My niece is finishing up 2nd grade in PS and is in the bottom 1/3 of her class in both math and reading. Whatever they are using just isnt working for her. (Don't know which programs).

Which program do you think is easiest for remediation purposes, to use ideally "over the summer" for her to catch her up in reading skills?

I have read such great things about Spalding from Ellie, and have just ordered the 4th edition to compare it to what we've done here, and I just can't seem to stop looking at reading curriculum in search of THE one as I have an anxious 4 year old girl quickly moving thru the first few Bob books.

Spalding looks really great so I'm excited to see what it contains!

I'd love to chart out a path for the parents to use with her over the summer (and into next year most likely), although they are not too involved as parents so we need something open and go for them.

I've had this child in our classroom and she is bright and eager. She's just not getting what she needs and I don't want her to fall behind so early on.

I need to get a better feel on where she is stuck specifically, I know, but wanted to reach out to get your opinions on the above 2 programs for remediation use and any advice you could give me.

I've looked at a few reading tests online to see where she is currently, although I'm sure if I just sat with her I could figure it out as well. . . .

Thanks in advance.

If the parents are not very involved? Bummer. Ok, I'd say Victory Drill Book. It's no frills, but it will get the job done with little effort on her parents' part, I think more so than Phonics Pathways (although I like PP overall).

If the parents were more involved, or if *you* would be working with her, I can't think of anything better than Spalding. In three months, working with her daily, she would make amazing progress in handwriting, spelling, reading, and writing. Her reading will improve with Victory Drill Book, which will still help the other areas, especially as she is so young.

I remediated one of my sons with a program based on Spalding.  (Spell to Write and Read and the Wise Guide)  He did so amazingly well, that I used SWR with my two younger children as well. 

I used Phonics Pathways with the same son, and it did not help him at all.  He needed the intensive and systematic review that the Spalding method provides.  It covers all learning modalities and everything is reviewed on a regular basis. 

If you feel like you need to have some hand-holding in remediating your niece, then I might suggest All About Reading.  I've got several friends who have had excellent results with it. 

Blessings,

Yvonne

Homeschooling since 1998

Mom to Matt (22), Drew (20), Sam (16) and Grace (10)

http://www.notperfect-justordinary.blogspot.com

http://www.yvonneferlita.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for the suggestions. My friend is using SWR and I'm going to check that out when I see her next.

She is going to need nonsense words.

I recommend the things on my how to tutor page, they are designed for a remedial older child taught with sight words and AR whole language books and guided reading.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

If you want a book, "We All Can Read," for a girl her age I would get the 3rd grade and up book.

http://weallcanread.com/

I do not like his online program, but the books are good. Someone who has taught phonics doesn't need the teacher's manual.

She could also watch my online lessons, even easier for them.

Elizabeth you are so right about non sense words. I know they are teaching the sight words to her which I've always despised but never new why (until I researched O-G). I'll check out your recommendations thanks so much!

If the parents are not very involved? Bummer. Ok, I'd say Victory Drill Book. It's no frills, but it will get the job done with little effort on her parents' part, I think more so than Phonics Pathways (although I like PP overall).

If the parents were more involved, or if *you* would be working with her, I can't think of anything better than Spalding. In three months, working with her daily, she would make amazing progress in handwriting, spelling, reading, and writing. Her reading will improve with Victory Drill Book, which will still help the other areas, especially as she is so young.

Yes bummer bigtime. But this is her story since birth sadly. The poor girl is gone from 730am until 445pm even tho her Mom works from home at a super laid back job.  How they cannot use some of the time she has before and after school is beyond me. Or commit to tutor time. But that is only half the crappy story. But I digress. . . .

Thanks so much I'll see if I can get her Mom to work with her and make her a priority. I'll be visiting with them in 2 weeks and see what I can do. I wish they lived closer to us I'd take her after school.

The Drill book looks great!  I assume they'd need the complete set with the CD and TG. Too many moving pieces and they won't do it. . .

Oh - And when I have her for sleepovers this summer (a few days at a time) we will be working Spalding with her I bet. :) Couldn't hurt . . .

For math, for $20 they can have her take the ADAM K-7 test, it is then linked to free remediation from Kahn Academy. A bit more will most likely be needed, but it is a good start for the $.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/ADAM_math/parents/

Thanks I didn't know about this at all and will pass it on to them. I'm not sure they will do anything about the math or not.  I doubt they would take on two different programs for her (reading and math) due to committment really.

Thanks I didn't know about this at all and will pass it on to them. I'm not sure they will do anything about the math or not. I doubt they would take on two different programs for her (reading and math) due to committment really.

The reading is more important to do first, but the math is super easy...just have her sit in front of the computer and take the test for 30 minutes a day til she is done, then 20 to 30 minutes a day of watching videos until she has watched all the ones she needs to be at grade level.

And, also easy, she can watch my phonics lessons in the morning while eating breakfast and waiting to leave for school.

OK, here is what I would do....have them either have her watch my online lessons, or have them work through the Blend Phonics Reader with her using these charts to help, emphasizing sounding out every sound from left to right.

https://www.phonovisual.com/products.php?c=1

They can check off the things in my progress chart, you can do the rest of the more tricky things...nonsense words, syllables, syllable division worksheets, etc. (All on my how to tutor page at the end.)

I have also in the past worked with friends children over the phone, you can number each row of things you are using on her and your copy and make sure she says the number first so you are "on the same page." If there is doubt, say, "spell the letters of the word you are trying to sound out," that clears it up.

The things on my how to tutor page can be worked through in 6 to 10 hours and the average gain is 2 reading grade levels when done.

Another easy good thing they could do is Read, Write, Type...it is all online and she could do it on her own, easy, fun, and helpful. Not a complete program but easy and good.

http://www.talkingfingers.com/

The Drill book looks great!  I assume they'd need the complete set with the CD and TG. Too many moving pieces and they won't do it. . .

Oh - And when I have her for sleepovers this summer (a few days at a time) we will be working Spalding with her I bet. :) Couldn't hurt . . .

They wouldn't need the complete set. If they have the drill book and the teacher guide, they should be good to go.