Menu

Potter's School: World History Through Fiction - for 5th and 6th grade

Has anyone taken this course?  If so, I would love any feedback!

Are Potter's school courses taught with a particular religious worldview?

Thanks,

Beth

http://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/#/?cid=3247

It is called World History Through Fiction and is for grades 5-6

Elementary History+Literature: World History Through Fiction

History is full of people like us who interacted as we do with each other and the world around them. They loved and feared, and they faced difficult decisions. In this elementary history course, historical fiction will be our transport as we journey through time and the past comes to life. Sampling the eras from ancient to modern, we will examine each novel's perspective on the people, places, and events it represents. While we are immersed in the genre of historical fiction, we will discuss bias, audience, and the author's intent, and how being aware of these helps us to judge the credibility of what we're reading and separate fact from fiction. These same critical thinking and reading skills will be applied to non-fiction sources as well, and the use of graphic organizers will provide a variety of ways to view and comprehend all the new information we encounter. Strategies such as word maps and a collaborative glossary will help students develop stronger content area vocabulary. Exciting primary sources such as letters, news clippings, and photographs will be introduced as evidence from the past to be analyzed, and other non-fiction reading will extend our understanding of each event or time period being studied. Sharpening students' abilities to compare and contrast and recognize cause and effect will bring history into focus. This course invites students to become active readers who think, wonder, reflect, and connect while they read, all in the context of World History Through Fiction.

Prerequisite:

• Intended for Grades 5 and 6. Will consider mature grade 4 students.

It is brand new this year, so you won't find anyone who has BTDT. I corresponded with the teacher some; she gave me a tentative book list (I've since deleted her email, though). Looks like a great class to me, but I'm going to wait a year to enroll my 9-year old.

• 2 weeks later...