Menu

permanent marker on my floor...

maize

Somehow my toddler got hold of a permanent marker and used it to scribble on the floor. I caught him in the act and attacked the marks with rubbing alcohol, which got rid of most of it but left a shadow behind. Am I just stuck with what is left? The floor is cork with a polyurethane coating.

Somehow my toddler got hold of a permanent marker and used it to scribble on the floor. I caught him in the act and attacked the marks with rubbing alcohol, which got rid of most of it but left a shadow behind. Am I just stuck with what is left? The floor is cork with a polyurethane coating.

Our 2 year old did this to our kitchen floor and cabinets (and some of the pans. And the walls) And I got up a lot but was unable to get it all off. Luckily 1) It came off the wood table and 2) We had intended to upgrade the kitchen eventually anywya.

For now we call it the artwork of "Ruthie-angelo"

Did you try to puddle rubbing alcohol on the spot and let it soak for a couple of minutes?

Yes, I did try letting it soak in rubbing alcohol, couldn't get everything off. I will try the magic eraser, I can put a new coat of polyurethane on if it rubs off the finish.

Thanks everyone!

I've had good luck with Magic Erasers as well as with the citrus stuff, Goo-B-Gone or something like that (good for getting sticker residue off too).  If that doesn't work and you know that manufacturer of your flooring, try their web site.  

This post says to try white toothpaste (it's not just for filling in nail holes).  http://mylifeandkids.com/tip-how-to-get-permanent-marker-off/

Had a dd do this to a light cream colored brand new carpet. Big smilie face in the middle of the room... Called the carpet cleanign professionals who had just cleaned the older carpets in the house. They tried everything they had. Nothing worked. Then, they told me to get rubbing alcohol and a can of hair spray. It took it off completely. I was amazed!

I always rub a dry erase marker over the perm. marker and wipe it off--- I don't know about doing it after using something else first

This is what I read to do and it worked for us. Though, as Lara said, IDK how it would work once you've tried other methods. DH signed the magnetic strip on his credit card instead of the signature line and I just wrote over it with a dry erase marker and then it wiped right off.