Menu

What do you LOVE for 4th grade writing?

We are going with CAP Narrative as well, but I am also planning to incorporate first 10 weeks of WWS (tell me I am nuts for trying it in fourth grade). He has had no problem in Paragraph Town assignments (in fact his output is usually a lot. More than what us being asked of him), so am I delusional to think WWS won't be a Herculean task? Of you see a train reck, please stop me.

I would like to find a book with paragraph exercises (write a topic sentence for this paragraph, or gives. The topic sentence and asks to develop it, then moves to transition sentences). Is there such a thing?

We loved Writing and Rhetoric, absolutely loved. I used WWE as well and it gets the job done but it wasn't a love for either of us. I did look at Parnership Writing by BW and I think it would be quite enjoyable as well but I wanted something a bit more classical. If you are looking for enjoyment though I would definitely check it out. I considered using it alongside WR but I'm trying not to overschedule this year!

We are going with CAP Narrative as well, but I am also planning to incorporate first 10 weeks of WWS (tell me I am nuts for trying it in fourth grade). He has had no problem in Paragraph Town assignments (in fact his output is usually a lot. More than what us being asked of him), so am I delusional to think WWS won't be a Herculean task? Of you see a train reck, please stop me.

I would like to find a book with paragraph exercises (write a topic sentence for this paragraph, or gives. The topic sentence and asks to develop it, then moves to transition sentences). Is there such a thing?

Shannon did the first 10 or 11 lessons of WWS in the spring of 4th grade.  She didn't have any problem completing the assignments . . . but as you know  ;) the program hasn't been a good fit for us overall, though we did do most of the rest of level 1 in 5th grade.  So I don't know that our experience should be considered a rousing encouragement! But having read samples of your son's writing, it certainly seems reasonable to try it out.  I don't think the first 10 weeks will be too much for him.  It does ramp up later.

My teenagers used Classical Writing: Aesop for fourth grade. It taught them how much they reallly could get on a page, and that writing could be fun. Their writing grew by leaps and bounds. At the time I really did love that curriculum. :)

My current fifth grader did a few CW Aesop units, but mostly had homemade writing heavily influenced by CW and WTM. I had already learned a ton from teaching CW and didn't need to rely on it anymore.

My rising fourth grader was practically born with a pencil in her hand and has never had a problem getting her thoughts onto paper. Lately she has been working through Writing and Rhetoric at double speed without much effort, but she's enjoying herself thoroughly. For her fourth grade I plan to use what W&R is left, see if I can mingle her into Cover Story with older siblings, and occasionally take a break to work on her nonfiction writing..

I hope to love Writing tales, which I just ordered.  Writing is my brick wall that I just can't get my child over, around, or through.  We did WWE, and he hates writing.  He can narrate and remember very well.  But to actually create a coherent, well put together paragraph.  Still struggling.

I am glad that this writing program makes you burst into singing, CMama.

I wonder what ds9 should use newsprint school year. He has done WWE 1--4 and just finished IEW SWI A in February. Eventually when he can handle it, I will have him do WWS 1. But he is still too young for that, so I am looking for something in between. Writing and Rhetoric looks very popular, so I am curious to know more about it.

• 2 weeks later...