Menu

Essentials in Writing

MrsMe

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into this program for my 5th grader for next year, but we've decided not to get it at this point.  On the website, you can find a syllabus and samples, by the way.  It does include grammar and actually looks like it's mostly grammar for a while before it really "gets to" writing.  I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as my only grammar, though - doesn't seem very rigorous.  But others who have actually used it may have better input.  Hope that helps!

does this contain a grammar course or do you use a basic grammar program with it and it applies these concepts? 

Levels 1-6 include grammar, while 7 and above don't (although they review basic things like clauses, fragments and run-ons etc...). 7 has an "optional" grammar but we didn't use it--we just used the writing part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Level 3 contains more grammar than I was taught at school. That is more a reflection on how little grammar I was taught though. I think it has enough. If you want more you could do one of the middle/high school grammar only programmes. If you want diagramming there was a free download on one of the recent threads.