Menu

My wife wants to homeschool our kids.

Guest klou

Another suggestion...get a few major homeschool catalogs (if your wife hasn't done so already) and look at the options that are out there. Guess what, you could get public school materials if you wanted them from most major publishers or used from Amazon, the VERY SAME stuff as at school. Or you can get new, creative, challenging stuff that suits your kid (and maybe you, too) like a tailor-made suit. Sonlight Curriculum is a great one to read through for its explanations of why/why not to buy and its pictures of homeschool families of all ages and stages at work; and the profiles of their scholarship winners are pretty impressive, too. Tapestry of Grace will give you brain freeze...as will The Well-Trained Mind on the first read-through. It very typically convinces people of how much they *don't* know and want to learn, inviting them to get on board and learn right along with the kids. The Rainbow Resource catalog offers everything under the sun and can be used for a doorstop or two years' worth of bathroom reading. LOL

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes to the bolded!  I feel like I have had a second opportunity to get a real education this time 'round, just by learning along with my kids!  We're one year in, and I can not believe how much I've learned!

her suggestion...get a few major homeschool catalogs (if your wife hasn't done so already) and look at the options that are out there. Guess what, you could get public school materials if you wanted them from most major publishers or used from Amazon, the VERY SAME stuff as at school. Or you can get new, creative, challenging stuff that suits your kid (and maybe you, too) like a tailor-made suit. Sonlight Curriculum is a great one to read through for its explanations of why/why not to buy and its pictures of homeschool families of all ages and stages at work; and the profiles of their scholarship winners are pretty impressive, too. Tapestry of Grace will give you brain freeze...as will The Well-Trained Mind on the first read-through. It very typically convinces people of how much they *don't* know and want to learn, inviting them to get on board and learn right along with the kids. The Rainbow Resource catalog offers everything under the sun and can be used for a doorstop or two years' worth of bathroom reading. LOL

My husband was against it as well, but it was just kindergarten and my oldest is really smart so he was willing to do it for a year.  Now he is completely pro-homeschooling.  I really suggest going to a homeschool conference if you can.  It is nice to meet the normal people at those conferences and to attend the talks.  Also, maybe you can attend some local homeschool events.  It was very shocking to me the first time I was around a lot of homeschooled teenagers who were friendly, sweet, and engaging.  It is smart to think through this decision carefully, but I hope that you can keep an open mind during the process.  Best of luck.

On the subject of "weird homeschoolers", usually the stereotypical weird ones have weird parents, and the kids would still be weird in public school too, but they'd be nerds or geeks or some other lower life form in school (though as adults, those geeks are thought of highly and called "engineers").

When I'm around other homeschool kids, I usually can't tell that they're homeschooled except by the fact that they're not in school during school hours.

Also, as you homeschool longer, you'll meet more adults in the workplace who homeschool. My husband (an engineer) works with several dads who have homeschooled kids. Frankly, homeschooling is the best thing for those incredibly intelligent kids. It gives them the freedom to learn more and prepare better for college and adulthood.

My oldest went to private school for K and half of 1st. The experience was ok. There was no bullying going on or anything horrible like that. He was the weird kid though, since he was already reading well upon entering K, and he was good at math and talked about numbers a lot. Basically, he's a geek. So in school, kids didn't interact with him as much. He LOVES being homeschooled. He loves math again, since he can go at his own pace. He has more time to read now. He's learning more history and science. He's quite the well educated 4th grader while also having plenty of time to play and use his imagination (something one of our big wig engineering project manager friends said was sorely lacking in recently graduated engineers).

I had a good high school education. The school I went to had PhD teachers for AP classes. I know people in my graduating class that went to MIT, Harvard, and Yale. It was a good school. That said, I coasted through school, and now I'm truly learning, since I'm homeschooling my kids. Even in elementary, I'm learning things. My kids will have a better education than I did. It won't be perfect. It won't be fully "classical". But it will be a good education tailored to their needs, and it will require them to think. No memorizing and regurgitating for the test at the end of the week. They have to really learn the material and work with it, think about it, question it. I got good grades because I could study the night before and get a 100 on the test. My kids don't have that opportunity. ;) I saw my son coasting in private school and knew I did not want that for him. I'm so happy that we decided to pull him out and try homeschooling. It is one of the best parenting decisions we ever made. And the decision was made by us, not our friends and family. I know my parents had some concerns at first, but that was due to ignorance of what homeschooling is really like. Now they've seen real homeschooling and are glad that we're doing it.

My oldest son has Asperger's so he would be socially awkward in homeschool or public school. In our case, however, we feel there was a higher chance of him being targeted by bullies. And no way will I take the risk that he will suffer that. Also for the most part, I find homeschooled kids (I'm speaking form those I've known before and since having my own children) to be more polite and natural. They are normal, natural children, without any of the artificial posturing that they can pick up from peers in a public school. They are usually more confident in their authentic identity rather than following the latest trends that sweep through schools, or being ostracized because they don't. 

At home, my children are free to be themselves, and learn without unnecessary obstacles (academic or social) in their way. 

My husband was always okay with the idea of homeschooling, but it wasn't until he was a substitute teacher for a 2nd grade classroom that he was certain. Our local school would be a terrible place for my son.

Extremely over crowded, bright, sterile, noisy, colorful nonsense popping off every inch of the walls. I honestly feel that he would have struggled in public school.

Why do that to a child? Why force him to rub elbows and put up with the noise  and sensory overload of hundreds of children, when quality of social interactions are better than quantity for him...and I would argue, most children.

I feel that the "socialization" children would get in a school environment is unnatural, and people don't typically question it because it's just the way it is.

Also about people frowning on homeschooling...every homeschooler, especially at first, gets a lot of static from family and friends and even complete strangers. It's so rebellious to some that they can't help but question it, and for others, they are so ingrained in the public school model of education that they feel homeschoolers are a threat to society. But that's nonsense. 

It may help you to read about successful homeschoolers. You'll find some very accomplished individuals, and if you ask here on the forum, you may find those willing to share their grown children's stories. 

Homeschooling can be done poorly. I've known of homeschoolers who have struggled in their adult life, but often that had more to do with their family dynamics, and not homeschooling as a whole. Same with public school....some are successful, some not. If you truly want to homeschool, do your very best to do it well, and do your very best to resolve any family issues. 

It is usually best in my experience to not talk about homeschooling that often, unless asked, or unless you're talking with a trusted friend or family member who has  a track record of supporting you rather than tearing you down.

Usually they eat their words when they see your child thriving.

Not everyone should homeschool.  That's a fact.  

However, many many people would do a wonderful job if they tried.  I personally think that your wife needs access to a car, the Internet, a lot of energy, and to be willing to drive around, reach out, organize play dates, attend support groups and in general just make sure you aren't isolated.  This is VERY easy to accomplish, with sports, activities, co-ops, dance, gymnastics, community centers, YMCA's, and so many options in the US, in most areas, for homeschoolers.

Homeschooling is so awesome.  It has its hard moments, and sometimes there are parts of it that are not ideal, temporarily.  But, overall I think it is far better than lock-stepping your kid into an institutionalized system, with all of the pressures of testing, and all the bullying, drugs, sex, dangers, the stupid Standardized Testing, and so many other things.

Another option to look into, if you can afford it, is to see if your area has any Hybrid schools. A Classical Latin school that meets twice per week, and wherin the moms do the teaching at home the other 3 days, is a wonderful option for many families.  These schools are often smaller, with higher conduct standards, very very involved parents, a Christian atmosphere, and other benefits such as the social and community aspect.

I sent my kid to school for one year and then I decided to homeschool. I can give you the same advice the principal gave me. Summer's coming up. Try homeschooling over the summer to see how you like it. It's a lot of work, and a lot of trial and error to find your groove. They posted you a good flowsheet to get started earlier in this thread showing the many ways you can structure your homeschool. Some people do "school at home" and schedule their childs work so they know what pages to do each day from 8-3. Some people do an hour plus ten minutes per grade level every day. The important part is to find a schedule where the kids are learning and you still have harmony in your house. Food still has to be cooked, the laundry still has to be done, my husband needs my kids to stay with a regular bedtime schedule so he can get sleep to go to work. The kids have to do their daily schoolwork on top of all this. I know one lady who homeschooled for a year and sent her child back to school because the child refused to do his work at home. You can try ovver the summer with "no harm, no foul" to see what your homelife would be like if you chose to continue homeschooling. I don't think my kids are weird. Whenever we go to the playground or a party with children I see my kids out there running around with all the other kids.

One thing that might bother you, and this is in the upbringing, my kids don't listen the first time I say something. I have "little lawyers" that want to stand there and debate rather than doing what they're told right away. If my husband was the one home raising them instead of me they wouldn't be like that. I don't know if sending them to school would change that. That definately depends on the parent that's raising them and spends all day with them. Something to consider since your wife will be with them all day and you won't, how does your idea of parenting contrast with hers? If you choose to homeschool, keep this communication open with your wife. Make sure your needs and parenting beliefs are being considered too. Everyone in your family has to be important. The mother can't be overwhelmed, the kids have to be flourishing, and the father has to feel like he is a parent with some influence on how his children are being raised too. In other words maintain a healthy family and prioritize education and your homeschool will work.

In answer to the "weirdness" aspect, I just wanted to say that we had one homeschool family on our block when I was a kid, and they fit the profile of "weird".  But it wasn't because of homeschooling.  At any rate, my husband was homeschooled, and I had no idea until we had been dating for quite awhile, because he simply didn't fit what I knew of the one homeschooled kid I had interacted with.

Also, I think smart, curious, and eager to learn are often perceived as weird in a traditional school environment, so there's that.

@OP    There are many *wonderful* reasons that people HS their children. In our case, we are "Distance Learners", but those same *wonderful* reasons apply to us too.  I attended  Public schools in CA and what I see in the news, about what happens in Public schools now, I can tell you, very truthfully, would prevent us from enrolling DD in a Public school in the USA, if we lived there. Many years ago, when I lived in the states, there was a segment on the CBS "60 Minutes" show, about the high school I graduated from. I was, simply, astonished, at what goes on there.  There are, still, some excellent Public schools in the USA, and if you are fortunate enough to live in a district with one of those, that would be an option for you.  I believe if you investigate, that you will find that many children who are HS graduates have been accepted into outstanding universities and military academies and have done very well.  The people you work with probably have their children in Public schools, so anyone that has different ideas, presents them with something to think about, and possibly something to dismiss, immediately, because they do not have the time to do it. GL with the decisions your family makes about this!

Many of my siblings are very critical of the idea and while my wife is very enthusiastic, I am experiencing some pretty strong social pressures against it. I get that for many people it is the best option and I am still struggling with the idea.

To give you some perspective:

I have been homeschooling since my kids were in 5th/6th grade, and I have NEVER encountered any social pressure or negative comment. I come from a country where homeschooling is not even legal, and nobody in my or my husband's extended family had ever heard of anybody doing something like this.

The results got people on board without problem. Not only have my kids received an excellent academic preparation (as is evident by DD getting admitted to highly selective colleges), they also have great social skills, are comfortable interacting with adults, DD has been functioning well in a college environment since 10th grade - not a single person has ever questioned our decision to homeschool.

Not that it would matter, since educational decisions are ours as parents, and the opinions of extended family or coworkers would be completely irrelevant.

I am an afterschooler and summer schooler here, helping my son with reading. 

I am someone with slightly older kids.

In my community -- some homeschoolers are weird and some are cliquish and snobby.  I have seen rude behavior in my public library with what appears to be snubbing and pointed non-invitations to their Lego club.  

But -- at the park I have also met lovely homeschoolers with extremely well-behaved children.  I have met homeschoolers I find delightful.  I have met kids through recreational sports -- there is no way to know they are homeschooled except from talking to their parents.  There is no difference, beyond individual differences as there are between any children.  

I know some adult homeschoolers, also.  Only one is weird, and we know him through my husband in the Army.  He is a devout Pentacostal.  I don't think he is really weird, though he is considered weird.  I think it is more that devout Pentacostal is not the mainstream culture he is around as a soldier.  I bet the people he is hanging out with at church groups don't think he is weird.  

So anyway ----- I think the blanket stereotype is very stupid.  

Of course -- on the homeschool side, you will be able to find some horrible instances involving a public school child.  On the public school side, you will be able to see some homeschoolers you do not approve of.  

It will be that way on both sides.

So I think -- a worry about a stigma does not make a lot of sense. 

I think that thinking people you would want to be around, would not care about a stigma, either.  

As far as if it is true -- firsthand I don't think it is true, based on real live homeschoolers I have been around, and adults who were homeschooled.  

I am not doing it, so I do not think I am biased.  I am saying what I see.  

I also value specific things about public school.  It is not only "it is what I did as a child" and it is not only "b/c if we don't do it what will people think."  

Of course there are drawbacks to public school also.  I do not have to pretend those don't exist or that my choice is right for everyone.  

On the subject of "weird homeschoolers", usually the stereotypical weird ones have weird parents, and the kids would still be weird in public school too, but they'd be nerds or geeks or some other lower life form in school (though as adults, those geeks are thought of highly and called "engineers").

My kids will have a better education than I did. It won't be perfect. It won't be fully "classical". But it will be a good education tailored to their needs, and it will require them to think. No memorizing and regurgitating for the test at the end of the week. They have to really learn the material and work with it, think about it, question it. I got good grades because I could study the night before and get a 100 on the test. My kids don't have that opportunity. ;).

Yes! I knew a TON of socially awkward kids in public school. Spending 13 years in that system did nothing to change their quirky personalities. All it did, for many of them, was give them a complex because they were picked on so much. Basically, kids grow up to be a lot like their parents. So if you and your wife are pretty cool, your kids probably will be, too. If you think you and your wife are a little geeky, I hate to break it to you, but public school probably won't change that trajectory for your kids. ;)

As for coasting versus really having to learn the material, dh and I had a discussion about this last week. I was kind of frustrated because dd was going through some kind of attitude problem with math. She was just really emotional and hard in herself and I was getting irritated with how easily she wanted to quit every day. Dh then pointed out that it must be hard to be the one who has to answer ALL of the "teacher's" questions. When a kid is in a classroom and the teacher is demonstrating a problem and then asks a question, the kids who know the answer raise their hands. If a kid doesn't know the answer, he keeps his hand down and learns from the other kids. A homeschooled kid can't do that. He is on the spot every single time, for every single question. You can't daze off and ride on your classmates' coat tails for class discussions.

(Incidentally, once I realized that (and adjusted my reactions to dd), her "attitude problems" pretty much resolved themselves. Go figure.)

OP,

I'm curious as to why you would ask co-workers about a topic they have no first hand knowledge about.  What kind of information were you looking for when you asked them? What were your expecations?

I can't imagine asking my siblings about a parenting or education decisions.  Is this something people do?  Why?  Do you ask them about other parenting decisions?  Will you ask them about where to send your child to college if they're public schooled?  I'm not sure what exactly the motivation would be for asking them.  Is this a cultural norm in your family?

When you want to learn about an unfamiliar subject do you routinely ask people who don't do it or have no first hand knowledge about it?  If so, why?  I deal with new homeschoolers a lot and it would be helpful to me to understand more about someone who takes this approach as it's foreign to me.

Well, it's been a long time since I worked outside the home, but I remember conversing about life with peers/coworkers whom I also considered friends when I did. I don't think it is unusual to bring up family life in the workplace. It's called chatting. LOL Same thing with family. Also, as someone only considering homeschooling, the OP doesn't have firsthand experience dealing with the controversy of it and doesn't know how much of a "pass the bean dip" issue it can be in life. 

OP,

I'm curious as to why you would ask co-workers about a topic they have no first hand knowledge about.  What kind of information were you looking for when you asked them? What were your expecations?

I can't imagine asking my siblings about a parenting or education decisions.  Is this something people do?  Why?  Do you ask them about other parenting decisions?  Will you ask them about where to send your child to college if they're public schooled?  I'm not sure what exactly the motivation would be for asking them.  Is this a cultural norm in your family?

When you want to learn about an unfamiliar subject do you routinely ask people who don't do it or have no first hand knowledge about it?  If so, why?  I deal with new homeschoolers a lot and it would be helpful to me to understand more about someone who takes this approach as it's foreign to me.

I've found that my Dh shares personal life choices (parenting, homeschooling, and others) with his family, coworkers, friends, way way way more often than I do. I don't know if it's just him, but I have also had the experience of talking with male friends of mine about things that my female friends haven't even brought up. I wonder if women get the stereotype of being chatty wrongly! I definitely feel that the guys I know are more open and needing of talk than the women I know.  Especially to other guys. 

Well, it's been a long time since I worked outside the home, but I remember conversing about life with peers/coworkers whom I also considered friends when I did. I don't think it is unusual to bring up family life in the workplace. It's called chatting. LOL Same thing with family. Also, as someone only considering homeschooling, the OP doesn't have firsthand experience dealing with the controversy of it and doesn't know how much of a "pass the bean dip" issue it can be in life. 

Yep. The bolded. When I first decided to homeschool I wanted to ask about it, talk about it far and wide, with anyone who would listen. I think it's normal to want to discuss children with others. I think it's like networking. "Oh you do that too, your kid does that, you haven't seen this issue yet, you go there?" And so on. With homeschooling (and other hot topic issues like vaccinations, circumcision etc) it may take a while before realizing that you need to be more selective at times when discussing more controversial parenting decisions.  

Also the OPs co-worker could very well be a friend as well. I have had discussions about various parenting issues with friends that didn't have any first-hand experience. If I only waited to talk about something with IRL people who shared my individual experience, I may never share anything! ;)

I completely agree. I don't think it's at all unusual that the OP would be talking to his co-workers about school stuff.

I appreciate the opinions on here, my wife will be happy that I reached out on this to learn more. Someone mentioned social circles.. where I work, when I brought up the idea to one of the executives I work with during a social conversation, they frowned on the idea. 

Many of my siblings are very critical of the idea and while my wife is very enthusiastic, I am experiencing some pretty strong social pressures against it. I get that for many people it is the best option and I am still struggling with the idea.

Don't let others pressure you into raising your children in a way that they see fit. Raise them in a way that you have researched with your wife and have decided between the two of you. My in-laws were sure I was going to ruin my kids when I started homeschooling two years ago. They are on board now. My sister in law still thinks my kids will be poor homeless, friendless people when they are done.

I come from a family of 7 kids. All of us homeschooled at least for a few years. The youngest 4 (myself included in that) homeschooled right through high school. There are some things that I wish had been done differently, but I'm noticing there are a lot of the same problems within the public school. All four of us have productive lives. All four of us are successful socially, financially, and are enjoying life. Granted, I'm still a square peg around here. I have been told a few times that I think too deep and I need to just stop thinking so much. I've also been told that I work too hard. As far as criticism goes, those sound more like compliments to me.

Please readd the posts carefully.

I think there's all the difference in the world between a conversation with a co-worker about what's going on my life,

Co-worker: "Which school will your kids be going to?"
Me: "We're considering homeschooling them."

Co-worker then spouts various thoughts that may or may not be informed and/or accurate about homeschooling and homeschoolers.

This is not asking a co-worker about homeschooling. This is making chit chat about my life and lifestyle choices.

and

Me: "My wife is considering homeschooling our kids.  What do you think about that?"

Co-worker then spouts various throughts that may or may not be informed and/or accurate about homeschooling and homeschoolers.

This is an example of the wrong apporach to gathering information and making a decision about homeschooling.  I'm asking if people really do take this approach when they consider homeschooling.  I was not asking if people make chit chat about their lives and lifestyles with co-workers.

I appreciate the opinions on here, my wife will be happy that I reached out on this to learn more. Someone mentioned social circles.. where I work, when I brought up the idea to one of the executives I work with during a social conversation, they frowned on the idea. 

OP,

I think there's all the difference in the world between a conversation with a co-worker about what's going on my life,

Co-worker then spouts various thoughts that may or may not be informed and/or accurate about homeschooling and homeschoolers.

This is not asking a co-worker about homeschooling. This is making chit chat about my life and lifestyle choices.

and

Me: "My wife is considering homeschooling our kids.  What do you think about that?"

Co-worker then spouts various throughts that may or may not be informed and/or accurate about homeschooling and homeschoolers.

This is an example of the wrong apporach to gathering information and making a decision about homeschooling.  I'm asking if people really do take this approach when they consider homeschooling.  I was not asking if people make chit chat about their lives and lifestyles with co-workers.

You asked klou why he "would ask co-workers about a topic they have no first hand knowledge about." But that's not what he said. He said he "brought up the idea...during a social conversation." Yes, that struck me as chit chat. He didn't say his decision hinged on external acceptance or support, just reported the reaction in response to another poster's question.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to have different opinions as to what is a right or wrong approach to gathering information. Do I care what every Tom, Dick, or Harry thinks of my decisions? No. But there are people whose opinions I respect enough to have a listen, people with whom I specifically discussed the pros and cons. And you don't always know who has first hand knowledge and who doesn't. It could have just as easily been the case that the person he spoke to answered, "Hey, my wife home schools too. It's a great lifestyle!" Either way, it wouldn't necessarily affect my ultimate decision, but it is not an inherently wrong approach to have the conversation.

To answer your question, yes, there were some people I can imagine having said something along the lines of "I'm considering homeschooling. What do you think?" You know, back when I was tossing the idea around, before I was fully committed and on board. The newer I am to any idea, the less I have already investigated, the more likely I am to ask, generally, what other people think of it. And that is even though I really don't give a whiz what the vast majority of people think in the final reckoning. LOL I generally tend to find discussion illuminating. I am interested in hearing a range of opinions, even (sometimes especially) those I disagree with. I want to hear the Devil's Advocate position, the what a great idea position, and everything in between. Then I do what I want anyway. 

Personally, when we decided to pull the kids from PS to homeschool, I knew I was signing up for appearing strange to some people. I get questions from neighbors often (we live in a "good school district" and most of us moved to this town because of that.

As a Christian, we made this decision from a prompting from the Lord and through lots of prayer and research. I had to come to a point where I had to acknowledge that some of the people in my life would not approve of our new lifestyle. That holds true today. I'm OK with being considered abnormal. This decision really challenged me to consider the importance I had put on our family's appearances, and what others think about me.

I still get questioned and still come up with my defense of all of the wonderful "socialization" opportunities, and details about their education. I suppose I mostly do this to make the questioner feel better, or perhaps I want people to realize that homeschooling can be a positive experience. When questioned "how long will you keep homeschooling?", I answer that we take it year by year.

If you are just "chatting" with a friend about hsing, does it make an impression on you that they frown on it? Obviously, many people chat about what is going on in their lives, but if their opinion is having enough of an impression on you that you tell other people that they frown on it and that you are under serious social pressure, that strikes me as odd.

Haven't read all comments, but here's my $.02

People homeschool for so many different reason and in so many different ways AND it is becoming more and more common that those stereotypes are fading.

Public school worked for me, too. I don't follow your argument. Are you suggesting only one method will work (and if PS works then HS won't)? Are you saying that HSing is a waste of resources because you can use PS without extra cost or energy/time? Are you saying that PS is a sure thing, whereas HS is a risk?

First off, PS is not the same as it used to be 25-30 years ago, and neither for that matter is HS. The comparison is not entirely valid. There are many people who are successful using a combination of home and public school in their family, even for one child, even within the day (part time in both locations) and success in one is not mutually exclusive of the other. You do have me at the financial resources - HSing costs more. But time resources I think are a wash after you spend 2-4 hours (or more!) helping kids with their homework and other school-related commitments.

And as far as being reassured of your child's success your odds in HS are no less - perhaps even great. The difference only lies in where you can put the blame - on the school or on yourself. Since blame doesn't help anyone get into college or find a job I don't think that this argument has merit.

I admit I just put words in your mouth, and I apologize. I do hope that you look at the question of HS vs PS objectively though. There isn't a single right or perfect answer for all. There can be success and failure in both places, time well-spent and time wasted, worry and confidence. I hope you and your wife find the answer for your family.

If you are just "chatting" with a friend about hsing, does it make an impression on you that they frown on it? Obviously, many people chat about what is going on in their lives, but if their opinion is having enough of an impression on you that you tell other people that they frown on it and that you are under serious social pressure, that strikes me as odd.

I think everyone is reading way too much into that comment.  If I know next to nothing about a topic and bring it up in a casual conversation with friends who then make vague negative comments about it, then I may go, huh, let me learn more about why that is and whether it's justified.  Which is why he was here asking more about it.  That's not serious social pressure, it's just learning about this new thing you know nothing about.  And he has learned something - that homeschooling is not popular in some social circles, which is simply true, and probably something he didn't know before.  Now, if he were to choose not to homeschool based solely on that, then that would be another issue and definitely be the actions of a pretty weak-willed individual, but I don't assume that's what has happened at all.

I think what your wife thinks is far more important than what your siblings think. Your wife is, after all, the mother of your children, who grew those children in her own body and has far more invested in them than your siblings or the people you work with.

and

yes they do. In my office we were lucky enough to be a very close knit group of people and knew lots about each other. I wouldn't hesitate to ask any of them questions about things like educating my kids or parenting decisions. Long after I had left my job to be a stay at home parent I have stayed in touch with them and have even called or emailed one or the other for questions about my kids. Many of them were great parents and I valued their experience. Some of the younger folks have since become parents and have called me asking for information about activities for kids or names of pediatricians etc.

And someone asked about family, well, I ask my sister and my mom about lots of things. Again, we are very close. Sometimes I take their advice and sometimes I don't, but nothing bad will happen if I don't. I am sure my mom thought I was crazy for homeschooling, but she trusted me, and they are my kids, lol.

And dh gets asked about homeschooling at his job frequently. Sometimes it is because it is someone is considering it and they want to process. Sometimes someone is just curious about what it is.

and

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill honestly. 

I don't think there's anything particularly odd about a husband talking with a co-worker or his siblings about homeschooling.

He has some reservations and he's asked people closest to him, and mostly got negative comments.

He then took the next step of reaching out online to complete strangers who homeschool.

He may not have ever  had IRL experience with homeschoolers and so all he knows is the stereotypical myths.

Ellie is right on one main point (but I disagree with her on another). He needs to discuss it more with his wife, and research with her. I feel that both parents need to be on the same page. I don't think wives know best based on the fact that they birthed a child (maybe she was being facetious). But it is best for any decision effecting a child, for both parents to come to an understanding and agreement together, regardless of what outsiders think.  

But to answer your question: yes, I feel people are likely to take into some account the opinions of their friends, family, co-workers even, when initially considering homeschooling. Eventually as they read and hear more, they learn to weed out the various opinions that don't mesh well with their own inner convictions.

I think everyone is reading way too much into that comment. If I know next to nothing about a topic and bring it up in a casual conversation with friends who then make vague negative comments about it, then I may go, huh, let me learn more about why that is and whether it's justified. Which is why he was here asking more about it. That's not serious social pressure, it's just learning about this new thing you know nothing about. And he has learned something - that homeschooling is not popular in some social circles, which is simply true, and probably something he didn't know before. Now, if he were to choose not to homeschool based solely on that, then that would be another issue and definitely be the actions of a pretty weak-willed individual, but I don't assume that's what has happened at all.

I called it serious social pressure because he did. Although when I went back to check, I was mistaken. He said "pretty strong social pressure".

I called it serious social pressure because he did. Although when I went back to check, I was mistaken. He said "pretty strong social pressure".

Yeah, when I went back, I saw he did say that in a different post and I sort of rolled my eyes at myself. But I that was next to his family giving pressure, not just friendly coworkers, which I think is fair to feel more. A lot of people struggle with that - I feel continually lucky that none of my family questions our homeschooling.

Hi, as you can tell by my post count, I am new here.  My kids are currently in PS, and we will be HSing them next year.  I thought I'd share with you why we have made this decision.  To start with, I always wanted to HS my kids, but I see both sides of the issue, and DH while not against it was not a fan.  We had decided to HS the first one in K, but then I had twins that year, so that went out the window.  We sent our oldest to K, and then the second one, and this year those little twins went!  So, my kids are in K, 3rd and 5th grades (and I have a 2 year old).  Along the way each year we re-evaluate our decision to send the kids to PS.  There are some definite cons I don't think you are seeing, and you won't see them for several years! 

My oldest is 'gifted' but the gifted class is a joke, and is now being cut completely next year.  Some teachers have been okay at supplementing her, and others have been horrible.  I have had to supplement her history and science, the textbooks never have enough information.  The school librarian has issues, and I have had to do cartwheels and stand on my head to get her to allow my DD to check out books above her grade level.  Seriously- it's ridiculous!  I ended up just going an hour away to a big library once a week to get her higher-level books to read.  I can't afford to buy a chapter book a day, and that's what she reads.  School has not encouraged or even helped with this.  And no, it was not like this when I was a kid. If your child is at or above grade level, they will be left there while the teachers focus on kids who are not meeting grade level.

My second one is having issues w/ the new math curriculum the school got 2 years ago.  This is terrible math!  THe layout is bad, the sequence is bad, it just isn't working for her.  She's currently getting a 93%, so grade-wise she is fine!  This is the second year I have been very concerned... but the teachers all say she is fine.  In the last month I have given her about 5 math placement tests, and she is testing a grade level behind or more in all of them.  Yet she gets 93%.  I know what the issues are, and I have found a curriculum to address those issues.  I expect to be back at grade-level by next summer.   I don't expect all of my kids to be geniuses, but I'm not kidding when I say as long as your kid is half-way passing the teachers will NOT be concerned when she does not grasp a subject, or when she passes a chapter in math but has no concept of what she really learned.  I know, because I talk with my kids and go over every page.  My DH was not aware of how bad it was until I finally started having her do the placement tests.  I have been saying there is an issue since last year, and he finally sees it.  The school is not concerned, and think there is no issue.  I think this new math is going to bite them in the rear in about 2 years!  Right now kids are getting buy counting on fingers, but by 5th grade that's going to really slow them down.  I don't want to wait until it's an issue, I want to fix it NOW.  The focus is on teaching concepts, and while that's great, by not focusing on drill in 2nd and 3rd they are going to have a bunch of 5th graders who can't add and subtract without fingers, number lines, little cubes, ect. and some that need to draw pictures to multiply!  Sure, some kids will pick it up on their own, but most won't.  And the teachers?  They are terrified of Test Results!  The focus is on trying to get all kids to 'basic' level.  If your child is scored Proficient or Advance (like mine do), they will get overlooked for the kids who are scoring Basic or Below Basic.  Yes, this is how our school now scores all tests now.

And that is just the academic stuff :)  There are also the social issues, the ones you think your kids will have if you don't send them to school.  Yesterday my Kindergartener called his brother a "Pot Head"  He didn't hear that word at home.  He had no idea what it meant, either.  What age do you intend to tell your kids about sex?  And not the birds and the bees, I mean the other parts.  4th grade?  I won't even go into what all has been talked about in 4th and 5th grades, but I'll just say that we are not prudes. I believe in giving my kids all information.  We are not religious.  We are still appalled and this is a huge part of why we are bringing our kids home.  Things that you didn't hear about until 6-7th grade are being brought up in 4th and 5th grades.  Shall I tell you about the kid who brought sugar to school in a baggie, and said it was drugs in 3rd grade?  Those social problems you are worried about... those are some of the top reasons we WANT to bring our kids home.  Sometimes when I look back over the last 2 year specifically (4th and 5th) it just makes me sick.  I'm so glad my DH FINALLY sees what I have been telling him since kindergarten~ school is NOT what it was 30-40 years ago!  Kids are awful, and teachers' hands are tied. 

As to social pressure to put kids in PS.  It's there.  My MIL taught at our school for over 30 years.  She is devastated that we are going to HS next year.  Other family are more supportive.  I have been surprised that I will also have both of my girls BFFs HSing next year, too!  Their parents are both pulling their kids out.  Education has undergone significant changes in the past 2-4 years.  You really need to read up on it! 

Hi, as you can tell by my post count, I am new here.  My kids are currently in PS, and we will be HSing them next year.  I thought I'd share with you why we have made this decision.  To start with, I always wanted to HS my kids, but I see both sides of the issue, and DH while not against it was not a fan.  We had decided to HS the first one in K, but then I had twins that year, so that went out the window.  We sent our oldest to K, and then the second one, and this year those little twins went!  So, my kids are in K, 3rd and 5th grades (and I have a 2 year old).  Along the way each year we re-evaluate our decision to send the kids to PS.  There are some definite cons I don't think you are seeing, and you won't see them for several years! 

My oldest is 'gifted' but the gifted class is a joke, and is now being cut completely next year.  Some teachers have been okay at supplementing her, and others have been horrible.  I have had to supplement her history and science, the textbooks never have enough information.  The school librarian has issues, and I have had to do cartwheels and stand on my head to get her to allow my DD to check out books above her grade level.  Seriously- it's ridiculous!  I ended up just going an hour away to a big library once a week to get her higher-level books to read.  I can't afford to buy a chapter book a day, and that's what she reads.  School has not encouraged or even helped with this.  And no, it was not like this when I was a kid. If your child is at or above grade level, they will be left there while the teachers focus on kids who are not meeting grade level.

My second one is having issues w/ the new math curriculum the school got 2 years ago.  This is terrible math!  THe layout is bad, the sequence is bad, it just isn't working for her.  She's currently getting a 93%, so grade-wise she is fine!  This is the second year I have been very concerned... but the teachers all say she is fine.  In the last month I have given her about 5 math placement tests, and she is testing a grade level behind or more in all of them.  Yet she gets 93%.  I know what the issues are, and I have found a curriculum to address those issues.  I expect to be back at grade-level by next summer.   I don't expect all of my kids to be geniuses, but I'm not kidding when I say as long as your kid is half-way passing the teachers will NOT be concerned when she does not grasp a subject, or when she passes a chapter in math but has no concept of what she really learned.  I know, because I talk with my kids and go over every page.  My DH was not aware of how bad it was until I finally started having her do the placement tests.  I have been saying there is an issue since last year, and he finally sees it.  The school is not concerned, and think there is no issue.  I think this new math is going to bite them in the rear in about 2 years!  Right now kids are getting buy counting on fingers, but by 5th grade that's going to really slow them down.  I don't want to wait until it's an issue, I want to fix it NOW.  The focus is on teaching concepts, and while that's great, by not focusing on drill in 2nd and 3rd they are going to have a bunch of 5th graders who can't add and subtract without fingers, number lines, little cubes, ect. and some that need to draw pictures to multiply!  Sure, some kids will pick it up on their own, but most won't.  And the teachers?  They are terrified of Test Results!  The focus is on trying to get all kids to 'basic' level.  If your child is scored Proficient or Advance (like mine do), they will get overlooked for the kids who are scoring Basic or Below Basic.  Yes, this is how our school now scores all tests now.

And that is just the academic stuff :)  There are also the social issues, the ones you think your kids will have if you don't send them to school.  Yesterday my Kindergartener called his brother a "Pot Head"  He didn't hear that word at home.  He had no idea what it meant, either.  What age do you intend to tell your kids about sex?  And not the birds and the bees, I mean the other parts.  4th grade?  I won't even go into what all has been talked about in 4th and 5th grades, but I'll just say that we are not prudes. I believe in giving my kids all information.  We are not religious.  We are still appalled and this is a huge part of why we are bringing our kids home.  Things that you didn't hear about until 6-7th grade are being brought up in 4th and 5th grades.  Shall I tell you about the kid who brought sugar to school in a baggie, and said it was drugs in 3rd grade?  Those social problems you are worried about... those are some of the top reasons we WANT to bring our kids home.  Sometimes when I look back over the last 2 year specifically (4th and 5th) it just makes me sick.  I'm so glad my DH FINALLY sees what I have been telling him since kindergarten~ school is NOT what it was 30-40 years ago!  Kids are awful, and teachers' hands are tied. 

As to social pressure to put kids in PS.  It's there.  My MIL taught at our school for over 30 years.  She is devastated that we are going to HS next year.  Other family are more supportive.  I have been surprised that I will also have both of my girls BFFs HSing next year, too!  Their parents are both pulling their kids out.  Education has undergone significant changes in the past 2-4 years.  You really need to read up on it! 

Your oldest must have been in my oldest's 5th grade class!  These are one of many reasons we pulled her out to homeschool.

Plenty of people are starting to think homeschooling is a good option. My husband listens to talk radio at work and he says the issue comes up on the radio. NCLB and other problems with the school are watering down education. Now there are millions of homeschoolers. It's a growing trend.

My husband still has things to talk about our kids for light conversation at work. My son just won a ribbon for art at the county fair. I'm coaching t-ball this year. It's my daughter's first year in t-ball. My son just lost his training wheels. We still get invited to birthday parties from the neighbors and family. Homeschooling doesn't mean never leaving the house. When the kids get older they'll have more time for activities because they'll have less homework from school. Right now they have a lot more playtime than they did last year when my son was in school, and he's doing better academically.

One thing my husband and I heard at a homeschool conference (that I dragged him to when I had decided to homeschool but he wasn't on board yet) regarding the 'homeschooled kid stigma' was that 'your kids will be as weird as you.'  It was great!!  

And, at that conference, my husband attended some break-out sessions and learned a lot about homeschooling.  So you might want to consider attending a conference this spring/summer?  

I still occasionally fear that my kids will be those weird, unsocialized homeschooled kids.  And I think it's a natural concern.  I originally had the same thoughts as you toward public school - I turned out okay, so it can't be that bad, right?!  But I now know that for us, homeschooling is the right choice.

At any rate, good luck as you make your choices.

....  My MIL taught at our school for over 30 years.  She is devastated that we are going to HS next year.  ..... Education has undergone significant changes in the past 2-4 years. ....

As a PS teacher from a family of PS teachers, you have no idea how much the public school educational environment has changed. We're all required to sign gag orders, so we can't talk about the standardized testing--not even with each other.  Not even, "Gosh, that writing prompt was hard for my students today." If we do, we lose our jobs.  OTOH, I've been sussing out my coworkers, and you'd be surprised how many of teachers either homeschool their own kids, or send their own kids to private school, or wish they could (the majority of the people I talked to).  None of us like this current educational system. 

We started our twins in Kindergarten never planning to homeschool. I was semi-toying with the idea but my husband was adamantly against. Then the boys had five eye-opening months of Kinder and my husband wanted them pulled at Thanksgiving. I freaked thinking I wasn't ready. So we wait till Xmas and then I'd had enough too. They've been homeschooled ever since.

Kids were "weird" in the '70's and '80's because the laws were so iffy that parents were essentially hiding their homeschool kids until school got out. That's where the  not socialized, pale, nervous kid stereotype comes from.

In today's world, over a million are homeschooled and you and your wife can get your girls into a jillion activities: dance, art classes, theater, tennis, golf, karate -- the list is endless. Believe me, these businesses want you in their doors in the daytime when public school is in.

We also LOVE that we can travel in May or September and totally forgo the crowds. We were at Disney World once in October and tried explaining to six-year-olds (at the time) about lines because there were no lines when we were there.

Mainly though, school is brutal. Cool for you that you had a good experience, but you're not the norm. I don't care what you think. And the girl world can be heartless. There's a reason that a movie was titled Mean Girls and Heathers.

Homeschooled kids are so sweet and open and super intelligent. They haven't been made to feel dumb because they see other kids "get" to go into the gifted classes. They get to follow subjects that interest them. They get tons of interaction w/ their parents.

It's a phenomenal lifestyle. If you want great books on the subject, let me know and I'll type up a list.

Alley

My daughter went to public school from Kindy - 5th (now homeschooled) and my son is still there in 3rd (he'll be homeschooled next year).  I am not a public school teacher and even I can see the difference in the few shorts years since my daughter was in 3rd grade and where my son is now (same school).  Anyway, I am pulling him out next year because the system is so very broken and the culture is all about testing.  I think my son's school is terrific and the teachers he has are fantastic and professional and hard-working and talented.  But the system in which you are forced to work and in which he is trying to learn is so degrading and awful, I just cannot sacrifice him to that system, as much as I love the school and teachers.  I'll miss that school and teachers and other parents, though.

As a PS teacher from a family of PS teachers, you have no idea how much the public school educational environment has changed. We're all required to sign gag orders, so we can't talk about the standardized testing--not even with each other.  Not even, "Gosh, that writing prompt was hard for my students today." If we do, we lose our jobs.  OTOH, I've been sussing out my coworkers, and you'd be surprised how many of teachers either homeschool their own kids, or send their own kids to private school, or wish they could (the majority of the people I talked to).  None of us like this current educational system. 

OK, I didn't read this thread, just OP, but wanted to tell you about homeschooling from my perspective bc I was you and my husband was your wife.  the only difference is that I didn't grow up in US so didn't go through the school system here.

As a matter of fact, my husband was your wife before we got married.  I pretty much laughed in his face.  Well, in a cute-we-are-still dating kind of way.

And then I started paying attention to what exactly is going on in schools in US.  BTW, we lived in a VERY good area, where schools were considered one of the best.

First I realized that curriculum itself was very weak in many areas that I considered important.  And if I wanted my child to be well-rounded, I would have to supplement.  I didn't like that at all.  I am a lazy lazy person and I was not looking forward to working all day and then having a "teacher" job for free

Then I realized how much time was invested in all kinds of things that seemed to be more important to people than actual education.   Sports, fund raising, various social functions.  And I couldn't understand why so much time is spent on that when the main idea (the core subjects) are so lacking in so many schools

And then the last straw was the fact that schools started to be too PC.   The list of restrictions was growing and the list of acceptable activities and appearances was getting shorter and shorter.  All of a sudden an institution, whose sole purpose was to educate, was in charge of nutrition and self-esteem and fashion, just to name a few.  And again, I thought - what a huge waste of time and resources.

So, being the lazy person that I am  - I told my then boyfriend - I can see homeschooling.  May be it sounds arrogant, but I figured no way I could do a worse job than what was being done.

As far as homeschooling kids being "weird" - I can assure you, your child can be in any school, the best school, the worst school, the school that is "acceptable' to your bosses and family and G-d himself and he can still be weird.  And then what?

LOL, Lori. I remember when my always-homeschooled ds hit community college at 16. His first english comp class they read John Taylor Gatto's "Dumbing Us Down" and discussed the failures of public school education. Quite ironic, really. He agreed with all the failures and suddenly realized he *had* had it pretty good at home after all. He is fiercely committed to making sure his kids (somewhere off in the distant future with some imaginary wife) WILL be homeschooled...but it was Gatto who convinced him of it, not me. LOL.

How interesting!  I read Gatto's book back in about 1992 --about a year or so after we began homeschooling and it confirmed all of my gut instincts about why we should continue to pursue the freedom of homeschooling! 

I began homeschooling our 3 sons when our oldest (while in 3rd grade) began to get clinically depressed because his teacher kept insisting that he must weekly fail a timed math fact test, until he could write the answers to 36 multiplication problems in under 2 minutes--he could only do it in 3 minutes. Weeks of this and the school acted like I needed a dunce cap put on when I objected to him being punished for "failing" this stupid timed test by being kept in from gym class--the only time they got outdoors. When I realized the public school had this much power to abuse, I said "Heck yeah--sign us up for homeschooling!"

At the time, my husband humored me, while he quietly thought, "This phase will pass and then we can soon get back to normal." :laugh: But when he saw the great results he, too, became a champion of the "lifestyle of learning."

I know what you mean, Courtney!

My mom was a PS math teacher all of my life, but when we began homeschooling she was our greatest cheerleader. This was back in 1991, and she was so aware of what a messed up system of education we had!

I wish I could "like" this post 1000 times!

There is an entire school of thought, pretty well-documented, as it turns out, that thinks the bolded is intentional and part of a larger plan to craft a malleable workforce and populace (See Gatto reference, below, as well as Eubanks, Moore, and others)

OK, I didn't read this thread, just OP, but wanted to tell you about homeschooling from my perspective bc I was you and my husband was your wife.  the only difference is that I didn't grow up in US so didn't go through the school system here.

As a matter of fact, my husband was your wife before we got married.  I pretty much laughed in his face.  Well, in a cute-we-are-still dating kind of way.

And then I started paying attention to what exactly is going on in schools in US.  BTW, we lived in a VERY good area, where schools were considered one of the best.

First I realized that curriculum itself was very weak in many areas that I considered important.  And if I wanted my child to be well-rounded, I would have to supplement.  I didn't like that at all.  I am a lazy lazy person and I was not looking forward to working all day and then having a "teacher" job for free

Then I realized how much time was invested in all kinds of things that seemed to be more important to people than actual education.   Sports, fund raising, various social functions.  And I couldn't understand why so much time is spent on that when the main idea (the core subjects) are so lacking in so many schools

And then the last straw was the fact that schools started to be too PC.   The list of restrictions was growing and the list of acceptable activities and appearances was getting shorter and shorter.  All of a sudden an institution, whose sole purpose was to educate, was in charge of nutrition and self-esteem and fashion, just to name a few.  And again, I thought - what a huge waste of time and resources.

So, being the lazy person that I am  - I told my then boyfriend - I can see homeschooling.  May be it sounds arrogant, but I figured no way I could do a worse job than what was being done.

As far as homeschooling kids being "weird" - I can assure you, your child can be in any school, the best school, the worst school, the school that is "acceptable' to your bosses and family and G-d himself and he can still be weird.  And then what?

My wife has spent countless hours looking at homeschooling websites, Facebook groups, and other internet resources. She has become convinced that this is the way we should go. I am not enthusiastic about this. I want to support her but, I do not feel good about this. Public school worked for me and I don't want my kids to have the "weird" homeschool kid stigma. Looking for comments that support both sides.

I'm saying this with a big smile on my face good naturedly "And you've never met any "weird" public schooled kids?"

There are weird ps kids and weird hs kids. They're weird because they're marching to the beat of a different drum. And that is okay. One thing that homeschooling has taught me is that the people who are a little different are also pretty neat if you go past the weirdness.

"Public school worked for me."

Yes, but it doesn't work for everyone. also, even if it did work okay for you wouldn't you love to do BETTER by your kids?

Meet some homeschooling families, talk to them. Find out what they say the strengths of homeschooling are and ask them about their weaknesses.

Reefgazer, I'm with you!!!

I wanted to click, click click and click some more to the post by Serene At Home :)!!!!! to say how much I liked it :)

Just want to say I hope this is not a troller because so many of you have poured out your heart and souls to bless him, but you're blessing me, too!!!

RIGHT ON, SISTAHS....and BROS!!!

Times are so different now. Homeschooling doesn't have the same stereotypes it did when I was in high school. It's exploded, and there are so many more opportunities for "socialization" etc. I think "weird" kids are the products of personality and parenting, not necessarily homeschooling. There are lots of weirdos in public school too, but we don't usually blame their weirdness on their choice of schooling method.

This is a change from what I used to think! I also used to think that the best possible education I could give my kids was the one I'd had (private Christian school). After researching, God changed my heart. I'm now excited about our homeschooling journey, and think my kids will receive a wonderful education. Here's my testimony in full.

• 1 month later...
Guest Endeavor

My husband was hesitant at first, too. He thought we would just do Kindergarten, and then enroll in first grade public school. Instead, at the end of the first year, there was no discussion over quitting homeschooling, but instead, we pulled our older son, with special needs, out of public school, and teach him at home, too. At this point, neither of us is considering stopping homeschooling our children. Best choice, ever.