Menu

Keyboarding Without Tears!

abacus2

I am debating about this.  We currently use Typing Instructor and it's been fine for my older kiddo, but my middle kiddo shuts down on the timed events and cries when she's told she wasn't fast enough and has to redo an exercise.  I've tried to shut the timer off, but I can't seem to turn it off entirely and it's already at the lowest setting.  :/ 

My first thought was "Why in the world would a first grader need to type?!" And then I realized that we're living in 2014 and my kid learned how to use my iPhone faster than I did. :lol:  Consider this added to my curriculum list for next year.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I ordered this last month as part of my HWT order. I also emailed about placement, and ended up getting the 1st grade level. After talking with the rep I am quite excited, as it is supposed to really be able to 'grow' with the child. Also, I was assured that if the level we ordered would not work it would be extremely simple to switch as the access is all via email:)

• Like 1

Thank you for posting about this!!! I've been searching and searching for a typing program for my 10 year old. She tried Dance Mat and hated it.....I looked up Mavis Beacon and it didn't get very good reviews on Amazon....I ordered a book called Zoom Typing but it looks so dry and hard to follow. I'm so happy to see this! And for that price! We'll most definitely be trying this out.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this yet? I think we will get it this week so we can get a head start before we start the school year. I'm not sure about placement, so I emailed them this morning.

There are now samples on their site for both computer and ipad. It looks really fun!

I just got the 1st grade one for my 3rd grader.  I figured it was inexpensive enough that even if he sped through it, it would be fine.  He started it this morning and really likes it. 

I will be getting the 1st grade one for my actual first grader, too!

• Like 1

I just got the 1st grade one for my 3rd grader.  I figured it was inexpensive enough that even if he sped through it, it would be fine.  He started it this morning and really likes it. 

I will be getting the 1st grade one for my actual first grader, too!

Can both kids use the same 1st grade program -- or do you have to buy a separate license for each child (to track progress and what not?)

Can both kids use the same 1st grade program -- or do you have to buy a separate license for each child (to track progress and what not?)

I emailed them about this a couple of months ago. I have twins and wondered the same thing. We need to buy 2 separate licenses.

• Like 1

I downloaded and started using KWT with my two boys (7 and 9) two days ago. So far, so great! 

I ordered Grade 4 for both, and was pleased to find that they really do start with the basics and work up from there. Apparently, by the end of Grade 4, the kids will be typing paragraphs, but in the early lessons, they are still practicing their finger positions. So, if you haven't done much keyboarding yet, but are working with older kids, you can feel confident in placing them at their proper grade level.

I will also say that - so far at least - it seems that this is a very well thought out program that works a lot on building muscle memory.

• Like 5

Well I purchased it but can't get it to install. The installation program assumes you are an administrator of a computer lab and you need to activate workstations. Completely not user friendly. It accepted my account and password for the first part but now won't accept them anymore. It let me change passwords but won't accept the new password. I installed the software on my son's computer but when it got to the activation screen it says it is about to add " " classes to the workstation (it is blank).

For those of you who got this to work, did you encounter any of these problems? It doesn't seem like the program is ready for use.

Ok, I got it to work. The email address is case sensitive on the login page. If you are on an ipad it automatically capitalizes the first character, making the email register as incorrect. Hopefully this can save someone else some frustration. I still think the installation procedure is very unintuitive as it is aimed at large installations instead of home use. I predict their technical service reps are going to be very busy.

We purchased grade 2 and I was pleased to see that it started with the beginning games that the samples listed as K. So ds got to do the Matman shape game and the puzzle piece drag game before it jumped into the one where you hold down a key with one hand while typing letters with the other hand. It is hard for little fingers to get used to doing that one! Ds was relieved when he finally got through it and then upset when it showed up again after only one other game in between. We almost had Keyboarding WITH Tears. I told him he had done enough today and we could try it again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Has anyone else found a way to go back and repeat an exercise? My daughter completed the first exercise and I wanted to go back and take a look at the program, but I am finding that I can only move forward. There appears to be no way for me to get a good look at the program and see what it contains - all I can do is go to the next lesson, and I don't want to do that if she can't repeat it. Not to mention, this doesn't allow for additional practice.

My daughter is in 5th grade, but has little keyboarding experience so we started in grade 3. And while the price is very low, I wonder how long it will take her to complete the program. Will I need to purchase additional grades for her this year? Not that it would be too expensive, but I wonder if I am going to buy multiple levels if I shouldn't just purchase something that includes all grades. Based on the limited amount of the actual program i have seen, I wonder if maybe this isn't better started in the early grades as an incremental approach. We are needing more of a crash course to get dd ready for an online course. 

We still haven't got ours to work. I set everything up and try to login. It won't let me hit continue. The button doesn't work.

I was having a similar problem. In my case, it was asking me to chose a class, which I hadn't created yet. I went back to my account online and created a class and student, then logged back into the software and it worked. 

• Like 1

I bought grades 2 and 3 for my 4th grader.  I figure she will fly through the early level, especially since she did some Typing Instructor for Kids last year.  I had some of the issues others have had, but got through them.  Don't worry about the source warning.  They are a trusted source, and they aren't going to sneak bad stuff on your computer.  You do need to set up a Class, then add your student to that class.  I had to go back and change the student names to dcname2 and dcname3 in order to distinguish which level we were opening.  The case sensitivity got me once, too.  But, I got it all worked through.  Oh, and the fields got mixed up when I was entering the data (grade level, course name, etc) on the Add Student page, but it all worked correctly on the confirmation page.

I don't like that I have to log in to the program from square one every time we get on.  I would like to be able to just send dd to do it on her own.  I'm sure after a few days, she will figure it out.  

She loves the lessons.  She started in super easy stuff, beginning of grade 2, but she's looking forward to getting to the tasks in the samples she did.  I like that it's not timed, and doesn't grade her.  It just lets her work and gives a gentle click when she misses something.  It is much gentler than TI4K.  I expect that she will work super fast at first, and then slow down as things get more difficult.  I didn't want to start her in the upper level because she was slow and frustrated when she did them on the sample lessons.  It's so inexpensive, that it's worth it to me for her to get the extra practice and confidence of working up to her level.  She is familiar with the look of the program because she did printing and cursive with HWT, so that helps her feel comfortable.

I like that it teaches keyboarding in the context of real writing.  It's not just about speed and accuracy.  It's about putting words, sentences, and paragraphs down on paper correctly, with proper punctuation and capitalization and format.  

So far, we really like this program.  

• Like 4

I keep looking at this and trying to decide if it is worth it... It looks like it would be great for my 2nd and 4th graders.  We're currently using Typing Pal for the 4th grader and Dance Mat Typing for my 2nd grader.

Do you like Typing Pal? I think I will use KWT for my 1st and 2nd graders, but I need to get my 5th grader up to speed a bit quicker.

Has anyone else found a way to go back and repeat an exercise? My daughter completed the first exercise and I wanted to go back and take a look at the program, but I am finding that I can only move forward. There appears to be no way for me to get a good look at the program and see what it contains - all I can do is go to the next lesson, and I don't want to do that if she can't repeat it. Not to mention, this doesn't allow for additional practice.

My daughter is in 5th grade, but has little keyboarding experience so we started in grade 3. And while the price is very low, I wonder how long it will take her to complete the program. Will I need to purchase additional grades for her this year? Not that it would be too expensive, but I wonder if I am going to buy multiple levels if I shouldn't just purchase something that includes all grades. Based on the limited amount of the actual program i have seen, I wonder if maybe this isn't better started in the early grades as an incremental approach. We are needing more of a crash course to get dd ready for an online course. 

I did speak with customer service and she confirmed that once a lesson is complete there is no going back. They did it so that people would not reuse a license for another kid. I explained that because I could not go back or forward, I had no idea what my child was doing. Others had already expressed to customer service that they felt they had little knowledge of what the kids were doing in the program, so they will be addressing that issue. For now, they do have some documentation that they have promised to email.

• Like 2

For the price, I can't complain. It's in the style of the workbooks which we've when learning handwriting, how cute! My 9 year old (4th grade) has been typing for years, but I just couldn't resist a typing program from our old HWT curriculum. So I purchased the 3rd and 4th grade programs and started in on 3rd grade, knowing full well it was below her skill level. It's super easy for her, but I'd love to zoom through that year with my daughter and move on to the 4th/5th grade lessons. To spice it up, it looks like they incorporate actual concepts in other subjects. It's a good start from what I've been able to see so far... which isn't much.

For me, the parent, the reporting feature is way too simple. I get a Days Count and Activity Count, both of which are simple bars which give me a number. I can't even see the skills she's worked on. I also have a hard time finding out how to get in the website to see the progress reports they do give. I've honestly spent several minutes each day I try to find that login again.

Better feedback, a list of skills worked on, wpm data, and a more prominent Parent/Teacher login would make it a bit more valuable to me. I have no idea what I purchased, what she's learning or how she's doing -  unless I sit right next to her and watch her do it all.

• Like 2

Joliet,

Thanks for sharing what they had to say about not being able to go back.

I will be interested to see if they offer that feature.

I didn't get the impression they were going to allow you to go back once an exercise was completed. It sounded more like they were going to address the issue of being completely unaware of what your child was doing unless you were watching over their shoulder.

Do you like Typing Pal? I think I will use KWT for my 1st and 2nd graders, but I need to get my 5th grader up to speed a bit quicker.

My 4th grader likes it pretty well!  I got it from Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op with my Smart Points.

The lessons are quick, and she likes seeing that she can type a little faster and with fewer mistakes than the target. :)

I was having a similar problem. In my case, it was asking me to chose a class, which I hadn't created yet. I went back to my account online and created a class and student, then logged back into the software and it worked.

I created my class and students before ever trying to log in. Their rep actually walked me through it. The stupid continue he button is just not working.

• 1 month later...

This has got to be the most un-user-friendly program out there.  There's no obvious way to get to the page where you actually access the program.  Once I find the page through googling, it won't accept my password.  Sent for a new password, and it wouldn't accept that either.  The next day it finally accepted it, and I changed the password, and today it won't accept that one either.  And when I tried to actually set it up so DD could use it yesterday, it wouldn't allow me to put in a code (and I'm not even sure what I have is a code), and says there are no licenses available when yes, I did purchase one.  Thinking maybe I should just consider that $6.50 a loss and move on to something else.

This has got to be the most un-user-friendly program out there.  There's no obvious way to get to the page where you actually access the program.  Once I find the page through googling, it won't accept my password.  Sent for a new password, and it wouldn't accept that either.  The next day it finally accepted it, and I changed the password, and today it won't accept that one either.  And when I tried to actually set it up so DD could use it yesterday, it wouldn't allow me to put in a code (and I'm not even sure what I have is a code), and says there are no licenses available when yes, I did purchase one.  Thinking maybe I should just consider that $6.50 a loss and move on to something else.

You just encapsulated my Wednesday evening.  I am calling on Monday.  As far as I can tell, they have a terrible interface, but once you finally break through then it is rather smooth sailing.  I am hoping that is the case.  I battled with Rosetta Stone forever and do not want a repeat.  My son was so excited about the little bits that he did, so I want to make it work.

I don't think that once you have everything installed and set-up that you are supposed to access the program through the web. When you did the initial set-up it should have put an icon on your desktop, or other way to start it from your computer. You open it through that and then the program opens in a webpage. If you haven't done the initial set-up, you need to download the program (I think there is a link in the email with the license code) and run the set-up. You have to add a class and students even if you only have one kid working on it.