Menu

What are the best accredited homeschool high schools?

Middle dd start high school in the fall, and I need to look at all options. Public school is not being considered, but for various reasons I would like her to receive an accredited diploma. It is not necessary, but would make life vastly simpler when it comes time to apply to college. Is there something like Kolbe, MODG, or NARHS that would allow us to design our own coursework but graduate as if it were a private school?

Is there something like Kolbe, MODG, or NARHS that would allow us to design our own coursework but graduate as if it were a private school?

For the most part, Kolbe will let you design your own classes. They won't give you a K or an H on your transcript and you'll only be able to get a standard diploma instead of a magna or summa (although they don't print magna or summa on the actual transcript so I'm not sure it matters a whit). The sticking point with Kolbe's standard diploma is the 3 years of theology they require, but they don't have to be Catholic theology.

I spent a bunch of time really perusing their website and even called them up to confirm all of this because my dh is not enthusiastic about freelancing high school. If we didn't have a solid plan in place, I was going to have to start looking at enrolling T in the local school district's pre-IB program (which turned out to be a farce when you start asking questions).

Good luck finding something that will work for you!

Is there something like Kolbe, MODG, or NARHS that would allow us to design our own coursework but graduate as if it were a private school?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'graduate as if it were a private school' ? Care to elaborate?

As mentioned above, Kolbe will give you as little or as much freedom as you require. They are a private school. You can design your own coursework or take theirs, or even mix and match.