Menu

Jumping back in math? Beast Academy 3A with a young 6th grader?

Hi, my son is hard working, a great reader, a decent writer, and has a great grasp of science and history. What he does not have is a thorough grounding in math (or a love of it). When he was younger he was ahead of grade level in math, but it gradually became the one area of our homeschooling where he has struggled and even rebelled a little bit. He made it to Singapore 5a in the fall, but I regret to say that I allowed his math pace to slow (and we had illness in the family) to such an extent that he came to a standstill. It is now apparent that he has lost a lot of his math knowledge (equations with fractions, some parts of his multiplication tables, and almost every bit of geometry). He doesn't want to continue with Singapore, and I feel he needs review, and possibly a different approach. Above all we need to get our rhythm back and he needs to experience some math success (and retention!).

At our co-op, he has a younger friend who had a Beast Academy book and he was intrigued. Would it be crazy to go to the beginning of BA to firm things up and see how a different approach to math works for him? If you think so, do you have any other advice? ;)

Thanks!

I don't think it would be crazy.  Maybe expensive?  What I suspect would happen is that some of it would be challenging/new/relearning, and some of it would be ridiculously easy and he might be insulted.  I've only got 3A and 3B so far, hopefully someone who has them all through 4B will chime in here, but what I notice is that the Geometry chapters are really challenging, but then in the middle of 3A you have a chapter on skip-counting, which, while foundational and excellent for my rising 3rd grader, would probably feel insultingly easy to a 6th grader.

When BA first came out, my oldest was just starting 5th grade.  I had her do the geometry chapters in 3A - very useful.  Then I went through and circled the more challenging problems in 3A and 3B in the other chapters (usually the starred ones).  It was good practice, some of the hard problems really take deep thinking, but it didn't take too long, and it wasn't a systematic filling in of holes, which it sounds like is what you guys need, maybe?

If money is no object (i.e. you are fine with buying all 6 existing books to use in one year) the BA path might work fine for you.  But then you'll run out of BA and be back trying to figure out what to do next.  

I'm not sure what to suggest.  BA is definitely interesting, a different approach to math, and challenging.  But if I were seriously focused on filling in holes, the best program I know for that is Math Mammoth.  It's thorough, incremental, and systematic.  You could email the author for advice about placement, but I'd probably have him do the End of Year tests (available for free on the website) for 3rd grade, then if he does fine on that for 4th grade, and that will help you figure out where to start.  It may suggest that you start him back in the 3rd or 4th grade level (Maria will give you advice on this), but it is easy to accelerate MM and quickly move ahead if you find he's remembering more.  I would at least consider this possibility, try the diagnostic test, and have an email conversation with Maria before I ruled this option out.

Here is MM's website, the page with the placement tests.  You could use these for diagnostic purposes, even if you don't end up using MM to remediate:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/placement_tests.php

I'll add to Rose's good thoughts that MM also sells a series organized by topic rather than grade level, so that you could target certain areas very inexpensively and relatively quickly, if he doesn't need a very broad-based review.  It might be boring, though, and/or too much like SM.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't worry too much about "making up" early levels of geometry if you are looking ahead to a quality prealgebra program - it should all be covered there.  I would, however, focus on understanding fundamental elementary arithmetic topics, especially fractions and fraction arithmetic.

I kinda want to buy BA4 just for the intro to topics contained in AoPS Prealgebra  :tongue_smilie:.

While I don't think a plan to go through BA with an older kid is crazy (especially if he buys into it - that's huge!!!) realize that it was written for bright math students (albeit younger ones), so I'd expect some parts to be challenging.  The parts that are super easy for your student could simply be skipped.

We have gone through all of BA 3. Basically I agree with everything posted so far.

If money isn't an issue (or at least not too big an issue), I would try both MM and BA. MM is thorough, systematic, and affordable. It is a great way to get back on track, fill some gaps, and start making forward progress. BA is a lot of fun and your son has expressed an interest in it. That makes me think that it is at least worth a try. You could pick up the guide and practice book for 3A, and give it a whirl. If you can only choose one, I would lean toward MM in your situation.

I think I'd look to something like Lial's Basic College Math that is designed to be a remedial community college course. It starts with the 4 operations but quickly gets the student up to speed.

Ray's Arithmetic also starts at the beginning.

ALEKS would be a good choice if he'd be more receptive to online math.

Well, I think it's a great idea. If you just had holes or needed review, I would suggest something else. But if the approach you've been using doesn't resonate with him, I think you should try it. Invest in 3A Guide and Practice and see what happens.

If Math is not his thing then BA might not be his thing - it stretches your mathematical thinking no matter what age. Also, it is geared for someone who grasps the basic concept quickly and begins to apply it right away in difficult problems. Then again, it may engage him - It's worth a try! But like others have said, if you're mostly trying fill gaps/cement basic concepts I think Math Mammoth or The Key to... series might be better (and cheaper).

Filling gaps?  I agree with pp that MM and Key to...series are solid options.  I have used both.

But we are doing Beast here with two kids (13 and 10) that struggle with certain areas of math.  Yes it can sometimes be challenging if you aren't a mathy person, but it also approaches math in a really interesting way.  This is not drill and kill.  Both kids have found that they are grasping the concepts and have enjoyed it AND learned.  But we do it as a family and brainstorm a lot together.  We all end up laughing and look forward to BA lessons (which is saying something since DD13 used to burst into tears the minute anyone mentioned math).  I love Beast.  And I am NOT a mathy person.  We just go slow, brainstorm together, and have a lot of fun learning.

Filling gaps?  I agree with pp that MM and Key to...series are solid options.  I have used both.

But we are doing Beast here with two kids (13 and 10) that struggle with certain areas of math.  Yes it can sometimes be challenging if you aren't a mathy person, but it also approaches math in a really interesting way.  This is not drill and kill.  Both kids have found that they are grasping the concepts and have enjoyed it AND learned.  But we do it as a family and brainstorm a lot together.  We all end up laughing and look forward to BA lessons (which is saying something since DD13 used to burst into tears the minute anyone mentioned math).  I love Beast.  And I am NOT a mathy person.  We just go slow, brainstorm together, and have a lot of fun learning.

I'm glad you shared this! What an interesting idea - using Beast with older kids who probably get the basic computations, but using it specifically for the conceptual, puzzle like aspect, and to make math a fun problem solving challenge.  I'm so glad it's working for you!  What you describe sounds like an ideal way to teach and learn math.

I'm glad you shared this! What an interesting idea - using Beast with older kids who probably get the basic computations, but using it specifically for the conceptual, puzzle like aspect, and to make math a fun problem solving challenge.  I'm so glad it's working for you!  What you describe sounds like an ideal way to teach and learn math.

Actually, that is why I keep going back to Soror's relaxed math thread on the gen ed board, too.  When math is interesting, challenging and approached from different angles (and I don't mean just randomly bouncing around with no attempt at mastery), the kids are more engaged and retain information better.

Best wishes

My ds just finished MM5 and I decided that it is time for him to make a change. He is struggling getting adequate sleep due to 12 hours of headgear while he sleeps each night and he has been tired and not engaged with his math. There are a few topics he is struggling a bit with but I just think it is time for a new approach. I want him to enjoy math again. I decided to buy teaching Textbooks (7) for more review and a different platform of teaching. He is just a few days in, but he finds it refreshing. We will also add in Life of Fred Fractions and then Decimals. I hope it will work for him. I know that some have found TT to be ineffective, so I will closely monitor and work with him to make sure it is a good fit.