Menu

The things you see that you don't expect to

Flowing Brook

I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere. Today I walked in the bank to cash some checks and saw a Man with a cloth pouch with the straps around his neck. Inside was a mouse gray kangaroo!

I though I was seeing things so I asked the clerk. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, What's that?

Clerk: Looking at me like I had two heads " A kangaroo."

Me: I thought that's what it was I just was not expecting to see a kangaroo.  What's the story  behind that?

Clerk: acting like seeing a kangaroo in the bank is a everyday occurrence.  stated " I don't know"

Again looking at me like there was nothing unusual about a kangaroo in the bank.

So I finished my business and was going to walk over and ask if I could pet it. But he (man holding the kangaroo not the kangaroo:) )

was stepping up to do his banking business and I did not want to appear like I was trying to listen in on his personal business so I left. Still wondering why there was a man in the bank with a kangaroo. Not that there is anything wrong with a man in the bank with a kangaroo. Just inquiring minds want to know. I should have waited outside until he came out so my curiosity could be satisfied.

Anyone else have any unusual sightings lately?

This isn't recent, but when I first moved to this town, I was driving along, and there were two huge African elephants, (those are the really big ones, not the smaller Asian ones) just standing by the side of the road. Nothing else in sight.

Turns out they were going to be used for elephant rides at a local fair a few days later, but at that time they were just a hangin' out there by the road...

Where should I start....

2 guys in a large bank parking lot sitting in a car smoking what looked like weed

2 policeman running through our complex with guns drawn with a K9 cop chasing 2 gang members as we were getting out of our garage (and we had company with us :lol: )

a puppy being stolen out of pet shop right in front of me (police took my statement and all, I was 13)

a lion cub brought to my dining table while I had dinner (this was overseas of course and wow was she bigger then I expected)

A moose between me and the beach, blocking my way and walking toward me. I thought I was going to be trampled, but thankfully, it turned off the path into the ditch a few feet in front of me. Scared me witless. Those suckers are tall! But there's nothing exotic about a moose, so maybe it shouldn't have been such a surprise. I think it was because it was at the beach instead of in the woods.

2011 was the summer of the cicadas here in north Alabama. We live in a wooded area; my garden beds are 20 years old, so we had millions of 17-year cicadas come up in our yard and our neighborhood. You couldn't walk around without getting hit by by one. They swarmed in the trees and bushes, and their buzzing was so lound it sounded like 20 lawn mowers. Mom and I would talk on the phone, and she could hear them over the phone while I was indoors with the doors and windows shut.

For years there was an old man who rode around downtown on a bicycle wearing a motorcycle helmet...and a speedo. This guy was old. Like...Methusala or something.

When I was a kid there was a man who used to put on a big gaudy crown, a fur lined, purple cape and carry a scepter as he walked through the neighborhood. I have no idea what he was about because my parents told me to stay away from him because he was dangerous. (I think he was arrested a few times). I know he cursed out kids in the name of Christ a lot.

There was a man on one of those two person bikes and the second rider was a dog.

A moose between me and the beach, blocking my way and walking toward me. I thought I was going to be trampled, but thankfully, it turned off the path into the ditch a few feet in front of me. Scared me witless. Those suckers are tall! But there's nothing exotic about a moose, so maybe it shouldn't have been such a surprise.

You are braver than I. I'd have turned tail and run. A Moose is considered very exotic in FL, AFAIK, so I'd probably freak out if I saw one. Plus, I'm pretty sure they are dangerous.

Oh, we had a large, mountain lion come into our yard when I was little. I remember being on the swing set and seeing all these kids pointing behind me. I jumped off the swing and turned around and across the yard, near the tree line was a mountain lion. Everyone was wondering what it was and finally someone yelled out: Ooh, ooh! Its a lion!

At the word 'lion' about 34 kids ran into our house screaming our heads off. My parents came out to look and the thing just walked accross our yard, then bounded away. I remember a sheriff came by later to warn us there was a lion in the area and we were like. "Yeah, we know!"

The first time I ever saw a man without clothes, I was about 12 years old walking to the bus stop with my bff and out of the bushes came this man with nothing but a bottle in a brown paper bag! We were definitely not expecting that on a very busy street in Sacramento.

Last month I was driving through town (we live in the middle of the Bible Belt, home to a huge private Baptist University) and there was a man trudging along up a large overpass pulling a massive wooden cross over his shoulder. As in the thing must have been 12/15 foot tall, thick, and HEAVY.

Turns out he walks all over the nation (and others!) with it...

A guy dressed head to toe as Chewbacca just walking on the sidewalk down a major road in the middle of the day.  That began our "Never be surprised by anything you see in San Antonio" list.

When I was 14 or 15 my mom and I were on the DC Metro and a couple seats ahead of us was a male couple.  One of them had the most beautiful make-up I've ever seen on anyone.  That was the only feminine thing about him.  Full make-up.  And then they started making out.  Seriously making out.  Like very obvious tonsil licking.  Seriously, it doesn't matter is you are two guys, two girls, or a guy and a girl.  Making out like that in a Metro car with other people sitting around you is just not okay.  They got off at DuPont Circle.

One night while driving home from working a very late shift I saw a big cat cross the road, hop up the curb and stand next to an electric utility box.  I thought, "wow that is a big cat."  The next morning while drinking my coffee, I thought about how bit the cat was and the fact that it was taller than the utility box.  While I was in the shower, I thought about how big the cat was.  When I had almost finished my second cup of coffee, I realized that the really big cat was a mountain lion.  I went over it in my mind a few more times and decided that it really was a lion.   I then laughed at my slow thoughts and how long it took me to label it a lion instead of a really big cat.

Mine pales in comparison, but here it is: Today, in a field, three miniature donkeys of varying colors lined up side by side, watching another donkey, which was watching a pony, all fairly close together. Half hour later, still in same position. I think this time of year equines and bovines brains start baking in the sun and they just stand there, not doing too much. I love this topic!

Quite a few years ago when my dh was on his way to work, there was a lunar eclipse at sunrise. He was on a back road and saw two bobcats in a field, one sitting, one lying, watching the eclipse and sunrise.

My mom needed to drop off something at my HS English teacher's home (she was a teacher herself) and she had me run up to the door so that she could keep the car (and the AC) running (it was the middle of summer). English teacher opens the door in nothing but a Speedo and I was eye to eye with his rather large nipples and moobs.

Still scarred from that.

We saw a coyote in the back yard this morning. :)

At our old house we had beavers, turkeys and deer come into our yard. Once I had to call animal control over a horse that was roaming my yard. (and the school bus was about to unload a bunch of kids..)

When we lived in Atlanta I used to go grocery shopping at a certain store in a city called 'little 5 points'. It's like the hub for ....flavorful people. ;) This day I was squatting to look at something on the bottom shelf. Someone came and was standing kinda next to me. I glanced over and thought... wow, nice toes...pretty polish, kinda big toes, though. But, then I kept looking.. covered in tattoos...toes, feet..up the leg. They were wearing cargo capris... When I stood up I see more tattoos.. sleeve tattoos.. and a couple on their head... bald... ;) The fingernails matched the toes.. perfectly manicured/pedicured, polished and rounded and the finger nails were kinda long.. It was a man. The polish was like a deep raspberry color. I have nothing against tattoos.. it was just a very weird combo. lol

Well, I just ended up having to make a last minute run to the grocery store, which was a nightmare of epic proportions...but that is another story.

On the way there I pulled over to let an ambulance and fire truck past.

When I arrived at the store, they had arrived in the parking lot and were hosing down a flaming old car parked sideways in the lot. Strange enough, but a woman (most likely the owner of the car?!) was screaming obscenities and slapping at two firemen trying to put out the blaze!

She was screaming something about them ruining her car and how she was going to sue!

We saw a horse at a car dealership. It had been traded it for a car. They then sold the horse. This car dealership used to also cut hair and sell snowballs. All at the same time. So, you could get your hair cut, buy a car and enjoy a summer treat all at the same time.

Well, I just ended up having to make a last minute run to the grocery store, which was a nightmare of epic proportions...but that is another story.

On the way there I pulled over to let an ambulance and fire truck past.

When I arrived at the store, they had arrived in the parking lot and were hosing down a flaming old car parked sideways in the lot. Strange enough, but a woman (most likely the owner of the car?!) was screaming obscenities and slapping at two firemen trying to put out the blaze!

She was screaming something about them ruining her car and how she was going to sue!

A classic case of no good deed goes unpunished. I wonder what the lady thought her car would be worth if the fireman had not come!

Oh! I just remembered something I saw at the grocery store about 8 years ago: a 60 or70-something year old woman wearing a red bustier, dazy duke shorts, thigh-high red leather stiletto-heel boots, and enough hair spray and make-up to outfit a dozen Ringly Brother's clowns. Just pushing her cart, looking at the cheeses.

There were no words.

once at our old house I looked out the window and saw what I thought was a tiger walking at the end of the street.  I called dd over and asked her if she saw the tiger.  She said, "Mom, it's a Irish Wolfhound, not a tiger."  My excuse is that it was before my cataract surgery.

When we moved into our new house in Dec. we were told that one of the neighbors owns a huge pig and walks it in the neighborhood.  We have yet to see the pig but at another neighbors Christmas party, the pig owning neighbor came over and introduced himself by saying "Hi, I'm Mark, the pig guy"

A long time ago, at the Piedmont Arts Festival in Atlanta, I saw a guy walking a goat on a leash.  I stopped to talk with him, and he said the goat lived inside his house and was housebroken. 

When I was in grad school, a bunch of us were taking a break outside.  The school was on a brick street, not used by cars.  All of a sudden a bunch of police (more than a dozen) showed up, chasing a running man.  The cops were on foot, with a couple on motorcycles, and the ones on foot had their guns drawn.

I told everyone in my group to freeze -- afraid if we moved, we'd get shot by accident.  It turned out that the chasee had just robbed a jewelry store.  Still, it seems to me that that was potentially a more dangerous situation than the jewelry could have been worth.

Many years ago, dh and I stopped at a gas station in Idaho.  As we were filling up the tank, a Suburban with a couple of kids in the front seat pulled up next to us.  The young teen driver hopped out and started pumping gas.  Then I noticed the PONY in the back of the Suburban.

Some of these are :smilielol5: .

I can't think of anything particularly strange. The only things I can think of are...

Many years ago, stopping in the grocery store late at night. The gal in front of me was paying for a pretty large purchase of groceries mostly all in ones. She was chatting w/ the cashier & said where she worked (a local stripper club). All the bag boys that night were in our lane for sure. Alas, they all helped the stripper, so no bag boys around to help with my groceries. :lol:

A turkey (?) walking across my driveway the other day. (This is unusual since I live in a suburban area.) I was leaving the house & as I drove slowly up the street to see where it went (out of curiosity), it started jogging right toward my car. I realize turkeys aren't supposed to be the brightest, but I seriously think he (she?) was trying to bang into the side of my car. The closer I got, the faster the turkey ran toward me. A turkey playing chicken with a car? (The turkey won. I stopped. ;) )

Once at Blizzard Beach (water park inside WDW) I was sitting by myself resting while the family did a group water slide.  There were other lounge/beach chairs in the area where I was.  A Brazilian family came up to the area, dropped a bunch of bags, and proceeded to change from their swimsuits into street clothes.  The father - 40ish - stripped naked just a few feet from where I was sitting - literally 3-4 feet from me.  He made eye contact and did a polite smile and continued.  All the boys, from elementary to teens, did the same.  The women mainly just put clothes over their bikinis.  When finished they gathered their bags and left as if this is what they do, which it may be.  

Being very pregnant and having all of the family's bags and items with me, getting up and leaving wasn't an easy option, and asking them to leave wasn't an option as the man was standing there naked.  I'm glad they were quick (sort of quick as he had no problem being naked and rummaging through some tote bags for clothes).  I had little else to look at beside the bushes next to me and them.  

Ok, as a daily occurrence we have cows and bullocks walking in front of us on our way to the bus stop, or standing in the road blocking traffic. (We live in a MAJOR Indian city!)

One morning I had 4 monkeys on the patio - I called for the kids - my daughter had seen it on her window and gone back to sleep!!  A little too jaded by life in India I guess!

We had a caracal caught in a tree in our neighborhood - a dessert lynx.  It had been terrifying the night security guards and we were even on the front page of a local paper for "IT corridor has wild cat in neighborhood."

One time coming home we crossed this huge parade with men dressed as leopards and they had elephants and camels - no idea what they were doing or where they were going!

We routinely watch guys shimmy up the palm trees in the neighborhood with nothing more than a rope and a cutlass.  They cut down all the coconuts so they don't fall on people's heads.

Sadly I also see trash piles everywhere and educated middle class people throwing their trash on the ground.

You are braver than I. I'd have turned tail and run. A Moose is considered very exotic in FL, AFAIK, so I'd probably freak out if I saw one. Plus, I'm pretty sure they are dangerous.

Oh, we had a large, mountain lion come into our yard when I was little. I remember being on the swing set and seeing all these kids pointing behind me. I jumped off the swing and turned around and across the yard, near the tree line was a mountain lion. Everyone was wondering what it was and finally someone yelled out: Ooh, ooh! Its a lion!

At the word 'lion' about 34 kids ran into our house screaming our heads off. My parents came out to look and the thing just walked accross our yard, then bounded away. I remember a sheriff came by later to warn us there was a lion in the area and we were like. "Yeah, we know!"

Not brave at all. I was paralyzed with fear and kept repeating,"oh, bleep! what do I do? "

Many years ago, dh and I stopped at a gas station in Idaho.  As we were filling up the tank, a Suburban with a couple of kids in the front seat pulled up next to us.  The young teen driver hopped out and started pumping gas.  Then I noticed the PONY in the back of the Suburban.

We've taken our sheep to the fair in the back of the van plenty of times... 

I guess we sometimes do get strange looks when we stop for gas.