Menu

6th Grade Math

Familyties

My ODS is going into 6th grade next year.  He has done 2 years of Singapore math and that didn't go so well so this year he is doing 5th grade Horizons math.  I want to set him up for middle/high school and I am worried Horizons isn't the best choice for 6th grade and beyond.  My first reaction is to switch to Saxon Math.  He needs a spiral math program because the mastery approach (Singapore) didn't work for him.  Your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc.  I will take any and all!  TIA

Singapore didn't work because the concepts taught were easily lost when he moved on to the next topic.  When is came time to build on a previous topic, he would forget how to do it so we had to go back and relearn it before he could do his current assignment.  It took a lot of time and created a lot of frustration on his behalf.  The spiral approach to math works perfectly, because he continually works on previous concepts that are taught.  He likes Horizons math, but I want to make sure it is adequate for middle school math.  HTH!

Just this week I added some Keys to Fractions (book 2), but it wasn't due to a fault of the program. Ds was racing ahead without reading the directions, causing me to reteach and make him redo it. Daily. Putting him in a strictly fractions book for a week made it easier for me to make sure he was learning it right and still keep up with my other four students. This is the first time I've added anything for him.

My DDs using the 1 and 4 books do have extra drill practice a couple/few times a week (mixture of cards, android apps, sheets, whiteboard, whatever we feel like at the moment). DS/5th doesn't seem to need that though.