Menu

Self-learning violinists, can you take a look at these questions? Thanks! :)

Guest Dviolin

Guest Dviolin

Hi, I'm a violinist looking for succes- and disasterstories of people who learn or learned violin by themselves, and for ways to improve the self-learning process. Can you tell me...

1) What is your biggest struggle when learning violin on your own? (e.g. lack of time, energy, discipline, guidance...) Do you have problems with sound quality, pain when playing, issues
with the instrument s.a. tuning...?
How do you adress these problems?

2) Are you completely self-taughtor did you have a teacher at some point? Why did you want to learn the violin by yourself?

3) Have you used online resources, courses or books? What kind? What worked out well and what didn't, what was missing? Did you find solutions for the 'missing links'?

Thanks for taking the time, looking forward to hear your answers!

Um... I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but I agree with others above that the technical nature of playing requires that you at least have a mentor, to watch and listen to and ask questions of, as well as to take critique from and have them physically correct positioning and posture . But really, lessons are necessary. Instruments which lend themselves nicely to self-instruction are piano, guitar, and simple wind instruments like recorder.