Menu

Favorite car/truck/tractor/train books for toddlers

alef

Puff, puff, chugga, chugga by Christopher Wormell  - detailed pictures and wry sense of humor

http://www.amazon.com/Puff-Puff-Chugga-Chugga-Christopher-Wormell/dp/0689839863

Here's a thread on train books, good suggestions

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/229673-best-train-books-for-littles/

10th million time.. lol, I remember those times when I used to read until I couldn't keep my eyes open and I started babbling incoherently.When that happened, dc knew that reading time was over!

Have one of those boys. He still hasn't outgrown the "stage", and he just turned five. When he was one I'm sure we read the story "The Little Blue Truck Leads the Way" every night for a few months straight.

'

We still love this one here!

ETA:  I was wrong, it is this one that is loved in my home - The Little Blue Truck

we read lots of Thomas books here. But, I was careful to only get the 'real' Thomas books, not the "Thomas goes to the zoo' type books. I couldn't stand those. But we liked the wordiness of the of the older Thomas books.

I also think we had some cool DK books about cars, vehicles etc that are mostly pictures. I didn't read those though. I told him those were for looking, not mommies reading

I am drawing a blank for a couple I would suggest. But my ds LOVED "Otis and the Tractor". Now we have all of the Otis books, they are just lovely. And "Katy and the Big Snow" is well loved at our house.

One of the most entertaining and beloved books for my kids has been Richard Scarrys "Cars and Trucks and Things that Go".

Oh, and two of Bill Peet's that my ds loves with trains are "Smokey" and "The Caboose That Got Loose".

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo!!!!  Oh, I have such good memories of this book.  Indy had me read it over and over.  We went through 3 copies (they were board books), because they literally fell apart from years of use.  I saved the last copy we had, and now read it to Han Solo.  He absolutely loves it.  Even after all the years it had been since I read it, I could still repeat it by heart.  It's so cute, and the rhyming pattern is great.  Indy still sits with us sometimes when I'm reading it to Han Solo.  He says he remembers me reading it to him when he was younger.  :)  The same guy wrote another book called My Truck is Stuck and I HATED that one.  I don't know why, but just something about it irked me.  I won't buy that one again.

We also really like Little Blue Truck and Little Blue Truck Leads the Way.  And of course the Thomas books!

Cars and Trucks and Things that Go, by Richard Scarry.  There aren't a ton of words, especially compared with the number of pictures, but you can discuss the pictures for hours and hours.  It was our go-to book when I was pregnant and had to spend a lot of the day in bed for a couple of months.  We've had our copy for a year and it's falling apart from love!

This is my very favorite -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059069328X/sr=8-1/qid=1397920499/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1397920499&seller=&sr=8-1

It seems to be out of print -- and I can't believe how much the new copies are going for.  There are some cheap used copies though.

These are poems about trucks and a few of them are really, really good.  Now I can't wait to read them to my grandchildren!

Any of the Virginia Lee Burton books--Mike Mulligan, Maybelle, Katy and the Big Snow--my boys love them. Katy and the Big Snow has a map of where she helped out, and my kids like to trace her path with their fingers or small cars.

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

The Huffin Puff Express. It's full of different word rhythms to show the train chugging up hills, racing down the other side, moving along a rural stretch, pulling into the station, letting off steam at the end.

Virginian Burton books are great too.

This blog post I did a couple of years ago might have some more ideas:

http://postapocalyptichomeschool.blogspot.com/2011/11/train-books-for-children-mini-reviews.html

Also, I Stink and I'm Dirty (et al) by the McMullans.

And another vote for Freight Train by Donald Crews. I swear we have a minimum of three copies in this house (paperback, lap book, board book!) because it is such a staple.

My little red fire truck by Steven t. Johnson is awesome for littles! It will keep him busy without you having to read it all the time too. It's a thick board book that describes all the tools and parts of the fire engine and then little cardboard versions of the tools pop out. There is a ladder, a steering wheel, a couple axes, a hose, a gas can top, lots of dials, too many things to list really! We've had it for a couple years and we're missing a few of the tools, but the kids really liked it.

byron Barton books were a hit around here

Yes, I forgot about those. We had Planes, Trucks, Trains and Machines at Work. Loved those. Ds made me count the people on the jet plane every time we read it. There are 23. Just saying. All the Barton books can be ordered as cardboard books as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This was such a favorite here http://www.amazon.com/Little-Train-Adventures-Storybook-Hardcover/dp/0091798493 We read it every day for several years, until it finally fell apart. I purchased another, both so we could continue to read, but also so that I had one to keep for memory sake. There stories are entertaining, and not at all miserable to read repetitively. The illustrations are equally captivating.