Menu

RightStart Math vs. Singapore vs. Saxon (or supplements?)

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a head start on some curriculum purchases for the upcoming fall.  I'm happy with a lot of what we have been using, but it's been difficult to find a good fit for math for my oldest.  He's a very bright 9-and-a-half-year-old, entering 4th grade.  The first couple years I did a combo of Saxon and Singapore.  Saxon is too easy and repetitive for the most part, but he still needed some reinforcement on arithmetic facts, which is why I included it.  I wanted to switch math curricula this year for his younger brother, so I went ahead and switched my oldest, also, to RightStart Math.  We're a Montessori family, so I appreciated how the author incorporated Montessori ideals into this curriculum.  I started my 9-year-old on Level D, based on the brief placement test.  He recently said that math has been too easy this year and a waste of time.  I have been so wrapped up in everything that I really didn't pay too much attention to this, but he's probably right.  So, my question is, what do I do for next year?  My two main priorities are:

-that he be able to do most, if not all, of the work on his own, without my assistance (having to read problems, etc.)  RightStart Level D still expects me to teach concepts and read portions to him.  We're adding child #3 to homeschooling in the fall, and I'm going to be pressed for one-on-one time.

-that he not be bored, but be engaged and challenged.

Does anyone know about RightStart level E, or the levels after that?  What grade levels is level G equivalent to?  What happens after that?  Should I just skip a couple of grade levels ahead with Saxon?  Or keep it close to grade level but supplement with something?  I assume I shouldn't get too far ahead with grade levels because he wouldn't be ready for the abstract concepts of algebra, is that right?

I would appreciate any recommendations.  I feel guilty for not doing a better job with meeting his math needs this year, especially since I'm a certified math teacher!  (high school, though)

Thanks,

Erin