Menu

What do you think of this news story?

Joker

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/04/16/cornealious-mike-anderson-missouri-cruel-and-unusual-13-years-prison?page=2

I've been reading about it today and talking with dh and we both feel it's a ridiculous waste of time and money. Apparently the man he robbed doesn't even feel he should be in prison now. He seems to have turned his life around without going to prison and I wonder what spending the next 13 years behind bars will do to him. I don't feel it's cruel and unusual punishment as the title suggests, but I do feel it's wrong and useless.

There have been some things on my Facebook feed though that are very different from my own feelings on the subject so I'm wondering what you all think.

It is a waste of time and money!  I do believe its cruel and unusual punishment to uproot a man, turn his life upside down, dramatize his children, and ruin the next 13 years of his life if not more because the state didn't have their shit together 13 years ago. 

What motivation does the state have to be fair and just if it can do something like that? If it can make a huge mistake and then simply pick up where it left off years later? What guarantee is there for any of us that we'll be treated justly if they know they can the ball any point without consequence?

It's not simply unfair, it's unjust and vile.

I read another article that said he's in jail after his home was raided by a SWAT team.

He's been in jail for nine months. They are trying to get him out.

My gracious!

I hope they are quickly successful because that is unconscionable.

I think they should have him tour the various prisons being a motivational speaker for the inmates about how they *can* turn their lives around and lead successful and productive lives.

the state messed up, it's their fault he didn't serve time when - considering they only noticed when they went to release him . . . he's an example of what we'd love to see the prison population do - turn their lives around.

It is a waste of time and money!  I do believe its cruel and unusual punishment to uproot a man, turn his life upside down, dramatize his children, and ruin the next 13 years of his life if not more because the state didn't have their shit together 13 years ago. 

and this was the states mess up - not him going on the lamb for 13 years.

• 3 weeks later...