Menu

Tamiflu and flu prevention?

dsmith

Does anyone have experience with Tamiflu being used to prevent flu? My nephew has confirmed flu, and he was being watched by my mother in law. Once she found out it was the flu, she called her doctor, who prescribed a lower dose of Tamiflu as a preventative. So she decided that she is safe to continue watching him while my sil works and goes to the gym. Is this really effective in preventing mil from getting the flu? I still think she should not be down there. She has asthma and other conditions that put her at risk for more serious complications of the flu. She seems to feel that she has complete immunity now. 

No. She probably isn't protected. http://www.cochrane.org/features/tamiflu-and-relenza-getting-full-evidence-picture

The review confirms small benefits on symptom relief, namely shortening duration of symptoms by half a day on average. However, there is little evidence to support any belief that use of NIs reduces hospital admission or the risk of developing confirmed pneumonia. The evidence also suggests that there are insufficient grounds to support the use of NIs in preventing the person-to-person spread of influenza.

Our geneticist no longer prescribes as a preventative. It can shorten symptoms by a tiny bit. I don't think the proof is there that it reduces complication in asthmatics either. It's unfortunate that the doctor didn't properly inform her. That said, she may well have already been exposed at that point.

One year, my husband and kids got the flu. The first one symptomatic, a child, started Tamiflu within 12 hours of onset of lab confirmed Type A Influenza. He didn't have appreciably shorter symptoms than anyone else. He didn't have less symptoms either. I won't do it again.

She could try Eldeberry Syrup (Sambucol) at symptomatic doses. I think it might have protected me from flu that year, and there are studies to support its potential to help. I took it high dose the whole time I was taking care of the rest of the family here.

Did she have a flu shot? It's not terribly effective either, particularly for elderly, but better than nothing. It might protect. We started getting flu vaxes after that miserable year, and none of us have gotten flu since.

I don't trust tamiflu at all. Not to fight the flu or for a preventative, though it's widely used, considering it is marketed to offer relief! Who doesn't want that?! My kids were prescribed it once and we didn't end up using it. I also looked up the possible side effects and they weren't worth it.

Tamiflu scares me because my nephew had his first and only seizure on Tamiflu when he was 4.  The doctor said that is a possible side effect and to not give him any more.  I've known other people who took it with mixed results.  I've also known people in same families who got the flu and it lasted longer or shorter for various people or it was milder or worse for some so who knows if the Tamiflu really helps reduce the duration and severity or not.  According to the latest studies, it really doesn't.

I wouldn't take a low dose as a preventative.  What happens when she develops a medication resistant flu because she has been carrying around the flu virus and exposing it to low doses of meds (not high enough to kill it off completely)?

When my daughter had the flu our doctor did prescribe tamiflu for everyone else in the house but it was a standard dose and just precautionary.  She said it was very likely we would get sick since we were all exposed and that way we would have it on hand to start taking as soon as symptoms appeared (not before).

I don't know why I couldn't find this thread to read the replies until today. ? I showed her the link for the new research linked above. She is going to stay away for a few days but I think they may all be here for Easter. Luckily she hasn't had any of the horrible side effects or any reactions to Tamiflu. I think I will try to find some Sambucol today! Apparently the strain that is running rampant in NJ is not included in this year's vaccine.