Menu

Jews Told to Register in Ukraine

Laurie4b

Yes, I saw this.  It is really worrisome.  Too much of a reminder of the pogroms and WWII.

Is Putin the next Hitler? Seems like nobody really wants to confront him.  He does have a tad bit of the crazy aspect to him.  Not ex-Iranian President Ahmadinijad crazy…but more of an evil calculating crazy.

That makes my blood run cold.

Mr. Kerry, "Beyond unacceptable" is an understatement and you need to step up your response by QUITE a bit. "Freaking horrifying" would be better, though I'm sure it has to sound slightly more diplomatic.

I would have never made it as a diplomat.  I would have said a bunch of swear words which I will translate here into What the Heck? Are you kidding me?  Is he nuts? 

I would have lasted maybe two hours on the job.

I am hoping that it is some whacko fringe group and not really connected with any emerging government nor with Putin. Still...

I also wonder about the effects on the Ukraine situation. WIll it make NATO members more likely to step up?  I also wonder if it will affect the situation in the Middle East and how.

This is what I have been reading, that it is a fringe group.

I am reserving getting too worked up until we have all the facts.

Dawn

I am hoping that it is some whacko fringe group and not really connected with any emerging government nor with Putin. Still...

I also wonder about the effects on the Ukraine situation. WIll it make NATO members more likely to step up?  I also wonder if it will affect the situation in the Middle East and how.

I suspect that the pamphlet wasn't a legitimate attempt to get Jews to do ANYTHING. The subject matter is so charged that I think it's likely a ploy to stir up the hornet's nest and try to force one side or another to lash out. It could have been perpetrated by nearly any government agency or fringe group on either side of the border. It stinks of "deliberate political land mine" to me.

Racism runs very deep in Russia. Unfortunately Putin's regime has done little (some would say nothing) to reign in Nazi groups. Just ask African students or Central Asian inhabitants in Russia. Or try being from the Caucasus. While I can't say which group got payed by whom to do this particular number, I hope there will be a wider dialogue about extreme nationalism and hatred in Russia.

My mother's friend who is Jewish (living in Australia) said that the Jews over there are having their social security pensions taken off them! So sad! Some of them have gone through WW2, and survived, and now are having to go through this. We really need to make this a prayer point.

I don't quite get this.  So, if you hear a rumor, but it really isn't true, you just believe it because you want to with the premise that it was a person you don't like so therefore it must be true?

It's a provocation-- an attempt to stir up conflict.
As for Putin, you can not believe a word he says. In fact, if he makes a statement, you can be pretty sure that the opposite is true.

I don't quite get this.  So, if you hear a rumor, but it really isn't true, you just believe it because you want to with the premise that it was a person you don't like so therefore it must be true?

No, just look at his record. He has clear goals and his moves over the past decade have shown that he will pursue those geopolitical goals relentlessly without any regard to anything else (remember, Ukraine was given guarantees of its boundaries in exchange for nuclear weapons by Russia. I bet they feel rather naive right about now). Politics is a chess game. His imperial plans aren't secret and he will use any tools in his power to get there, including lies. That's what propaganda - bending the truth is, right? 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2014/03/13/russia-is-winning-its-non-stop-propaganda-war-on-america/

I am linking a Forbes article on Russian propaganda about Ukraine, just in case anybody is interested. 

The key is understanding the mentality of today's Russian ruling class, its goals and its tactics (military moves, legislative moves, media wars). 

As to general racism in Russia, read this article from the Economist. It's eye opening. 

http://www.economist.com/node/6916041

I don't mean to say that problems like this don't exist in other places, sure they do. It just happens that we are speaking about Russia today. 

I am not questioning your belief about his character.  I know he is a bad person.

What I am referring to is your belief that Jews were asked to register and that he was behind that.

If something comes out saying he didn't do it, do you still say, "Oh yes he did, just look at what kind of person he is, so he did all of it, all rumors and hoaxes I read that have his name on it, he did it."

Dawn

No, just look at his record. He has clear goals and his moves over the past decade have shown that he will pursue those geopolitical goals relentlessly without any regard to anything else (remember, Ukraine was given guarantees of its boundaries in exchange for nuclear weapons by Russia. I bet they feel rather naive right about now). Politics is a chess game. His imperial plans aren't secret and he will use any tools in his power to get there, including lies. That's what propaganda - bending the truth is, right? 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2014/03/13/russia-is-winning-its-non-stop-propaganda-war-on-america/

I am linking a Forbes article on Russian propaganda about Ukraine, just in case anybody is interested. 

The key is understanding the mentality of today's Russian ruling class, its goals and its tactics (military moves, legislative moves, media wars). 

As to general racism in Russia, read this article from the Economist. It's eye opening. 

http://www.economist.com/node/6916041

I don't mean to say that problems like this don't exist in other places, sure they do. It just happens that we are speaking about Russia today. 

Makes me want to vomit.

This is how I feel.  We just had a shooting here at our Jewish Community center and I'm feeling very raw over the subject.  We leave near a Synagogue and frequently see families walking to Synagogue.  

I don't want to see my husband or son involved in a conflict like WWII. 

I am not questioning your belief about his character. I know he is a bad person.

What I am referring to is your belief that Jews were asked to register and that he was behind that.

If something comes out saying he didn't do it, do you still say, "Oh yes he did, just look at what kind of person he is, so he did all of it, all rumors and hoaxes I read that have his name on it, he did it."

Dawn

Ah, I misread your post. My apologies. I agree, it's anybody's guess. It could easily be him, or not.

The news today reports this is a hoax.

I have just spoken to someone close to me, that knows a Christian/Jew who is over there right now helping an elderly family member. The Christian/Jew was very surprised that they (the person close to me) already knew about this situation (thanks to that link that was posted on this thread!). So from a very reliable sauce the information that first came out is absolutely correct to my best knowledge. I know it all sounds pretty vague but to protect their identity, I have to be.

So please keep them in your prayers!

It looks like history is starting to repeat itself!!! :sad: