Menu

Snap Circuits 100 vs 300?

Are the extra projects of the 300 kit more interesting than the 100 kit? My son seems to enjoy the 100 kit well enough, but the projects all seem to be: "Make this circuit to make an obnoxious noise. Now build this slightly different circuit to make the same obnoxious noise. Now change this connection to make a different noise that is still obnoxious." My son is interested in the upgrade to the 300 kit, but are the projects any better? I don't want to buy the upgrade if it's just more of the same.

I don't know about better, but instead of just switches and integrated circuits, they start investigating the effects on the circuit of different resistors and capacitors, and they use transistors and things. But my DS mostly just builds the circuits from the 100 kit and then adds on to them, he hasn't been interested yet in exploring the uses of the other components. He did like building the AM radio.

I bought the 500 kit for my son for his birthday (I bought him 100 for Christmas) and he loves it.  It has A LOT more for the kids to do.  He has started getting confident enough to make his own circuits as well.  I'm glad I bought 100 first so that he wasn't overwhelmed, but he was ready to move on pretty quickly from there.

we are stalking the 750.   I participate in surveys for small amts of cash each and I have been collecting for about 6 months.  I"m about $20 away from getting it with only survey money!  I figured if we started smaller, it would cost more in the end by the time I added on to satisfy him.  We plan to use it as our 'science' as a break at times from our chemistry curriculum this year.