Menu

In the hospital...

Rivka

...and at 6:30am the nurse who was giving me my pain meds wanted to debate with me about whether my kids should be taking standardized tests. How do I know how they compare to other children? How will they get into college?

Just push the syringe, okay, and let me go back to sleep! What a time to grill me on educational philosophy!

(Hysterectomy for very early stage cervical cancer. I'm fine.)

Hope you are feeling better soon.

And that your visit from Nurse No Boundries marked the end of her shift and not the beginning.

Although...........you ARE on pain meds. If there ever was a time you could say exactly what you are thinking and have a built in pass........

Hope you get lots of rest today!

Wow... and you were able to control yourself?  I'm impressed...  I'm not sure I'd have been able to do that.

I hope you feel better soon... and with your kids ages... definitely don't let her questions get to you.  There'll be plenty of time later for worries about college entrance (if that even applies).  For now, I suspect they're doing just fine - maybe a little concerned about their mama, but that falls into the "just fine/normal" category!

Once you feel better, ask to speak to the nurse manager.  

absolutely file a complaint about her unprofessional behavior.  

I really regret not reporting one for very unprofessional conduct in regards to my mother's care.  

Somehow I'm not worried about the educational prospects of your children.

I wish you a speedy recovery.  :grouphug:

Sorry that you're in the hospital in the first place, and even more that you had to endure that.

If you see her again, I would say something along the lines of "I appreciate your concern over my children's education, but this really isn't the place to discuss it.  Studies have shown that homeschool kids outperform the peers."   If she continued, then I'd talk to her manager.

...and at 6:30am the nurse who was giving me my pain meds wanted to debate with me about whether my kids should be taking standardized tests. How do I know how they compare to other children? How will they get into college?

. . . and what about prom??? Sheesh, some people! :glare:

:grouphug:  for a speedy recovery and I'd also love an update your business when you're able.

I'm glad you are okay!

First of all, why in the world is the nurse even talking about how you educate your kids while she is in the professional position of being your nurse?!?!  I'd mention it to the charge nurse or someone else above her.  It would be one thing if she was truly curious and it was, say, 2 in the afternoon while she was taking your vitals or something.  Totally inappropriate to grill you like you are doing something wrong while giving you pain meds in the middle of the night (and 6 am is the middle of the night for someone who has just had surgery and is in the hospital).

Rivka, how are you feeling?

I went for a walk today, about one block out and back. So I'm thrilled about that.

The pain is more of a factor than I expected it would be 5 days out, given that I had minimally invasive surgery with no abdominal incision. The surgeon said I would be "very tired" for a week and it looks like that was a euphemism. Although I am very tired as well.

I am feeling really, really surrounded by love. That part of things is wonderful. I'm so lucky in my friends.

(((HUGS))) I'm 15 days out from gallbladder surgery, just a cut on my belly button using the da vinci robot.  The surgeon emphasized that even though he wasn't opening me all up, it was still major abdominal surgery.  The first week was a blur.  The pain was bad.  I could barely read a book I was so out of it.  The second week started getting better.  Every day I could do a little more.  Today I saw the surgeon for my follow-up.  He said I am healing well and can resume things like taekwondo, but to still take it easy.  Full healing, even when they do minimally invasive, still takes a month-ish.  I kept feeling like I really should be back to normal by now, but he assured me I am right where I should be.  I tire out easily, but it is nothing like early last week and late the week before.  I'm glad you are surrounded by love.  That's very important.  Take care of yourself and give yourself plenty of time to heal.  (((HUGS)))

I went for a walk today, about one block out and back. So I'm thrilled about that.

The pain is more of a factor than I expected it would be 5 days out, given that I had minimally invasive surgery with no abdominal incision. The surgeon said I would be "very tired" for a week and it looks like that was a euphemism. Although I am very tired as well.

I am feeling really, really surrounded by love. That part of things is wonderful. I'm so lucky in my friends.

I have been doing extensive research on hysterectomy methods since I may be having one, and have found that the " minimally invasive" laparascopic surgeries only mean that you do not have a stitched wound on your abdomen. It's not as invasive as an open abdominal procedure, but there's still plenty of trauma to the general area, not to mention stitches in your, well you know exactly where. :o

So glad to hear that you are doing well, that the cancer was caught early, and that you were able to take a little walk today. :grouphug: