Menu

Need History WWII-today workbook?

Would online work?  running on Coursera.org right now is: The Modern World: Global History since 1760.  All of the quizzes have a May 31st due date, so he can still submit and get them graded.  To skip to WWII, start at either Week 10 (lead up to WWII, rise of communism and fascism) or Week 11 (WWII and it's aftermath).  There are 14 weeks total, 13 of them are posted.  Last set should come on Tuesday.  While there is a list of suggested readings, he can just do the videos + the quiz if you are in "get 'er done" mode.

--Janet

Would online work?  running on Coursera.org right now is: The Modern World: Global History since 1760.  All of the quizzes have a May 31st due date, so he can still submit and get them graded.  To skip to WWII, start at either Week 10 (lead up to WWII, rise of communism and fascism) or Week 11 (WWII and it's aftermath).  There are 14 weeks total, 13 of them are posted.  Last set should come on Tuesday.  While there is a list of suggested readings, he can just do the videos + the quiz if you are in "get 'er done" mode.

--Janet

We've never used Coursera.  If I wanted Ds to take the class, would I just sign him up and he can just do it at his own pace?  What about the peer evaluated assignments I keep reading about?  Maybe I should start another thread for Coursera questions.  Sorry OP.

--Janet

It would work...I was just hoping for offline work since off-task behavior on the computer is what has led to the situation we are in!  We have been using Beautiful Feet....I think I'm just going to trim down the requirements.  Basically he's going to skim rather than thoroughly read, and just read the books. :(  That will make assigning a grade difficult.

ETA: How time consuming are the videos/quizzes?  I'm wondering if I should add them on top of his reading.

EATA:  He loves this idea!  He'll read just a couple of the Beautiful Feet books and then do this.  He says he'll get more out of it that way. :)  (I'm so happy he does actually want to learn something!)

We've never used Coursera.  If I wanted Ds to take the class, would I just sign him up and he can just do it at his own pace?  What about the peer evaluated assignments I keep reading about?  Maybe I should start another thread for Coursera questions.  Sorry OP.

Coursera classes vary by professor and university sponsor.  The history class I mentioned does not have peer-evaluated assignments, and is relatively self-paced in that you can turn quizzes in a month after the course officially ends.  Some have stricter rules than that (deadlines every week), some have even looser rules than this particular class (retake quizzes as many times as you like to improve your score). 

You have to register for the class to see the syllabus in depth, but registration is free and you can drop at any time.

For all courses, you can go at your own pace if earning the certificate is not important to you, at least until the course website closes (often several months after the class ends).

HTH

It would work...I was just hoping for offline work since off-task behavior on the computer is what has led to the situation we are in!  We have been using Beautiful Feet....I think I'm just going to trim down the requirements.  Basically he's going to skim rather than thoroughly read, and just read the books. :(  That will make assigning a grade difficult.

ETA: How time consuming are the videos/quizzes?  I'm wondering if I should add them on top of his reading.

EATA:  He loves this idea!  He'll read just a couple of the Beautiful Feet books and then do this.  He says he'll get more out of it that way. :)  (I'm so happy he does actually want to learn something!)

Quizzes are 20 questions, multiple choice.  They do require you to take good notes, though.

Video hours vary by week.  Week 12 is really long -- 9 videos, including 4 that clock in at a half-hour.  Most weeks were are 6-7 videos, most under 20 minutes.  The length of the video is listed in the title of the video.

If distraction is an issue, you can download the videos and turn off internet while he's supposed to be watching them, or even burn them and watch on a DVD player.  The professor is really pleasant to listen to, and I've been enjoying the class.

Do you want a lot of detail, or just the highlights? Have you seen these? http://education-portal.com/academy/course/western-civilization-ii.html

My dd13 uses education-portal for science and social studies...I hadn't thought of using it for my high schooler, though, because I consider it a supplement, not a course.  If the Coursera thing doesn't work out, though....I may reconsider! 

Once or twice I used the Walch Power Basics World History workbooks.  (Each workbook covers a certain period of history.)  It's not meant to be a stand-alone;  they actually have a textbook that goes along with each one, which we didn't use.  We supplemented with a variety of things, including movies.