Menu

Experienced with dyslexic remediation, does this look good?

So, I am accommodating other subjects due to dyslexia, adhd and dysgraphia. It just seems too easy for them compared to where my boys are. They are happy, though.

Today they completed:

an entire lesson of math

A lesson of Read, Write, Type

A review of new words for AAR

AAS lesson

worked on USA floor puzzle (VT recommended puzzle use)

I read to them the excerpt from Kingfisher Encyclopedia that goes along with their SOTW lesson that they listened to yesterday

Read MCT Grammar Island and discussed nouns and verbs.

Did copy work from WWE.

I also read to them their chapter book of choice. Currently we are reading Magic Puppy with one and Msgic Bunny with another.

The work just flies. They are happy and work hard. It just seems too easy and I feel like I'm missing something. However, we are aiming to keep confidence high and success daily is our goal.

They love typing now (yay) and they do more writing some days with FLL. We are using MCT for the visually pleasing aspects and FLL for the slow repetition. They write all their math answers. I don't scribe any for them, so what is written is fully independent. They also write their words for AAS.

The overall amount you appear to be doing, other than reading remediation, looks good so far as long distance surmise goes. Whether the AAS and AAR are sufficient for reading remediation I do not know since we did not use those programs.

How old are they and how long does it take you to complete the work you have listed?  If it seems too easy, you might be able to bump up some of the remedial activity and make great progress with that.  Adding in a program like Lexia Reading, Language Tune-Up, or other interactive reading programs can help with repetitive practice and not seem like extra remedial work. ;-)

We spend 3 to 4 hours with this lineup. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. They are 8. The Read Write Type is an interactive reading program that also teaches typing. It has went well with the AAR and AAS. I would hate to throw in another system just because I fear confusion or clashing. Their NP said since we've been seeing progress to keep going with these. Don't fix something that isn't broke mentality. I'm more concerned that I'm not giving adequate amount of time to other subjects. For so long we focused on math and reading alone.

Are they reading leveled readers aloud to you? Audiobooks? I think it is light on reading/language. Yes, remediate with AAR/AAS but that is just your phonics & decoding piece. How are they getting the same amount of language exposure that other children their age are absorbing through free reading? I see some read alouds but realistically for dyslexics there should be a huge audio piece during remediation to keep the context up while decoding comes along.

Are they reading leveled readers aloud to you? Audiobooks? I think it is light on reading/language. Yes, remediate with AAR/AAS but that is just your phonics & decoding piece. How are they getting the same amount of language exposure that other children their age are absorbing through free reading? I see some read alouds but realistically for dyslexics there should be a huge audio piece during remediation to keep the context up while decoding comes along.

I agree.  Once the kids, especially DS, started doing Immersion Reading on the kindle, his spelling/reading/comprehension/vocabulary and enthusiasm for reading in general started to really improve.  He started using Immersion reading about 2 months ago and is chowing through books right and left.  Read alouds were good, but this is also really, really helpful.

OneStepAtATime - Did you assign immersion reading?  And if so, did you have him start with easier books?

Actually, I didn't have to.  He really wanted to read the Percy Jackson series but we are already reading quite a few books as read alouds and it is just too advanced for him to read on his own.   He wouldn't be able to decode with any fluency.  And while he could listen on cd (and has done so with other books in the past) I have read several scientific studies showing that reading comprehension and vocabulary increased far more with both text and audio input than with just one or the other...

We have a Kindle Fire so I just bought the book along with the paired audio and handed it to him.  He loved it.  So as we have had the money we just keep getting more books for him.  He chooses to go to his room most afternoons for some quiet read time or sometimes right before bed.  With the Immersion reading I have just picked the books that interest him (as long as there is no inappropriate content) but the reading level is usually above what he could read on his own.  It has been great because he is being exposed to more advanced vocabulary, concepts, language structure, etc. and can both hear and see it, but isn't having to decode on his own.  It has really been a win, win situation.  And because he can't get a new book every single time he finishes an old one, he is "re-reading" some.  This has helped him to understand the books at a deeper level and to analyze the material more.

We are considering getting a Kindle Fire for DD for her 14 birthday since DS rarely lets the Kindle Fire we currently have leave his side.  Even though she is reading for pleasure at near grade level now, it tires her out at times and she doesn't like reading fact books or biographies on her own.  I thought Immersion Reading might give her more independence in those areas while she continues to work on remediation through Barton.  We'll see.  Still debating it.

HTH...

I assign daily Immersion Reading for both boys. My 9 year old is reading Through the Looking Glass and my 7 year old is reading My Father's Dragon. Both boys started with books with short chapters and worked up to longer ones. They read a chapter a day with Immersion Reading. If I can't find a book I want to assign on Immersion Reading then I have them use Bookshare in the Voice Dream app on iPad. Sally is the only text-to-speech voice that they both like. They also have tons of audio they are listening to for fun but they can choose whether or not to read along with those at this point. My 9 year old usually chooses to read along, my 7 year old does not (but he definitely still has more remediation to do as is only reading at a mid-late 1st grade level).

I assign daily Immersion Reading for both boys. My 9 year old is reading Through the Looking Glass and my 7 year old is reading My Father's Dragon. Both boys started with books with short chapters and worked up to longer ones. They read a chapter a day with Immersion Reading. If I can't find a book I want to assign on Immersion Reading then I have them use Bookshare in the Voice Dream app on iPad. Sally is the only text-to-speech voice that they both like. They also have tons of audio they are listening to for fun but they can choose whether or not to read along with those at this point. My 9 year old usually chooses to read along, my 7 year old does not (but he definitely still has more remediation to do as is only reading at a mid-late 1st grade level).

This fall I am hoping to add in more specific reading assginments tied to other subjects but this summer I hope to add in more reading for DD.  DS will read pretty much anything I give him now as long as it is through Immersion Reading.  Just getting the kids to actually enjoy reading without me reading something to them has been huge but we just actually started using Immersion reading very recently.  We should have started a lot sooner.  DS in particular is loving every minute of it.  I may have to start assigning Immersion Reading by chapter, though, just to cut the cost.  He will sit and read an entire book through IR in one sitting, through the whole night, if I am not monitoring it carefully.  He loves books.  He just couldn't access them easily before.

I have not tried Bookshare. I know that DS and DD do not like Text to Speech but maybe varying the voice options we can find someone they like.  I will look into Bookshare for additional reading sources.  

Best wishes.

Naturally, they are reading the leveled readers that go with their lessons as well. I just didn't write those out. We break up the AAR lessons up a bit more than recommended. We take it really slow, use the fluency sheets, word cards and readers many times throughout the week and before we move on to the next lesson.

Same with Read Write Type, there are leveled readers that go along with it, and those are read aloud to me as well. They also have level one AAR readers that they read for fun, Frog and Toad, etc. They are currently listening to a librovox audiobook about squirrels during free times as well. They also read along with SOTW while listening to the audio version. They just didn't have that assigned yesterday.

They read aloud to me from their AAR readers, current reading level and easier levels, their current leveled and prior leveled readers of Read Write Type, other books such as Frog and Toad. They listen to and read along with SOTW. They also listen to me reading chapter books of their choosing and from the Kingfisher library. We put a ton of free, non school hours into reading and listening.

Yes! We've used Bookshare for SOTW, Hake Grammar, K12 Human Odyssey and more. One of their primary purposes is to get textbook rights so that has been helpful for us as well. You can also use Bookscan to scan books to PDF and they will put them in your Dropbox to pull in Voice Dream. That is what I plan to do with math textbooks like AoPS.

Oh, I'm sure you can get used to it. Bookscan is actually a service, so you buy an extra book, they scan it for you into PDF form and then deposit the whole scanned book  to your Dropbox account (which is just like digital file storage, you just have to set it up and it can be accessed from many devices - computer, tablet, phone, etc.). Voice Dream is an app for iOS that links directly to Bookshare, Dropbox, & Project Gutenberg, so you can get text-to-speech for any PDF or file from any of these sources. What do you plan to use to have your ds read Bookshare? Is it an iOS device? There is a great webinar on using all these technologies on the Dyslexic Advantage website. :)