Menu

Conceptual Integrated Science--Explorations reviews

When I'm in planning mode, almost nothing can stop me :)  Here I am, with a rising sixth grader, looking at my barebones 7th and 8th grade plans, and going aah!! Planning science for him at the moment.

Does anyone have experience using Hewitt's Conceptual Integrated Science - Explorations (a high school text) with their middle schoolers?

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Integrated-Science-Explorations-Paul-Hewitt/dp/0131358618

This would be spread for 7th and 8th grades. I was thinking of using The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, but at closer examination I noticed it was a college text better saved for 9th grade. 

My plan is to use BFSU 3 mostly, but this text as a supplement and to understand high school texts in general - to increase reading comprehension as well.

Has anyone done anything like this? How did you like it?

We used Hewitt's (Hewitt & Suhocki) Conceptual Physical Science Explorations, the blue book. It had enough math without being too math-focused. I ordered the lab book, but returned it because the labs did not seem easily do-able in a home setting. We liked it, and it seemed PLENTY meaty enough to do at the middle school level, I would only do it with a sciencey kid with excellent reading comprehension. There's plenty in it to take you two years to get through.

We used Hewitt's (Hewitt & Suhocki) Conceptual Physical Science Explorations, the blue book. It had enough math without being too math-focused. I ordered the lab book, but returned it because the labs did not seem easily do-able in a home setting. We liked it, and it seemed PLENTY meaty enough to do at the middle school level, I would only do it with a sciencey kid with excellent reading comprehension. There's plenty in it to take you two years to get through.

Are there any doable-at-home labs in the textbook itself? And do I need the teacher's edition?

When I'm in planning mode, almost nothing can stop me :)  Here I am, with a rising sixth grader, looking at my barebones 7th and 8th grade plans, and going aah!! Planning science for him at the moment.

Does anyone have experience using Hewitt's Conceptual Integrated Science - Explorations (a high school text) with their middle schoolers?

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Integrated-Science-Explorations-Paul-Hewitt/dp/0131358618

This would be spread for 7th and 8th grades. I was thinking of using The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, but at closer examination I noticed it was a college text better saved for 9th grade. 

My plan is to use BFSU 3 mostly, but this text as a supplement and to understand high school texts in general - to increase reading comprehension as well.

Has anyone done anything like this? How did you like it?

I love the idea of combining BFSU 3 and the Hewitt book. My rising 8th grader wants to use the integrated Hewitt book next fall, before moving into Hewitt's Conceptual Physics.

I am debating whether to get this - Minds-On, Hands-On Activity Book, or perhaps I could use GEMS guides for additional hands-on if needed.

Are there any doable-at-home labs in the textbook itself? And do I need the teacher's edition?

There are some hands-on things to do suggested within the book that helps illustrate the concepts. These are relatively simple, more on the order of "demonstrations" that you can do yourself, using things you can usually find around the house. You would not write up a lab report from them, but some are worth doing. There are also associated videos that are recommended -- the authors have a related website, so we'd use those quite often. I also liked some of the supplementary material included in the text itself, talking about scientists and science history. It had some nice sidebars to go with the meaty text.

I didn't use a teachers manual.