Menu

Restful Learning, my dd, my son and my sanity and oh yeah Science...

So...I'm basically completely re-desinging my dd's homeschool for next year, starting now.  I realized that her learning modality works best with intense overlearning and repetition, and that she has an amazing (absolutely astounding actually) mid term memory which made me think that she didn't need to practice to gain long term memory.

She just started with LFC A and ...I have never seen her so excited about anything in 6 years of teaching her.  Nothing.  At all.  I knew she loved chants and jingles and all but...

She will start Shurley English within the next few days.  I feel almost certain it'll be a success. Between the overlearning and the jingles (she is an auditory learner) and the feeling of confidence with repetition, I feel certain.

She has always been awesome at math and uses HOrizons.  NO change there. For History we will be doing a low key co-op on the History of Horses with a friend. For literature, she reads and we read together.  

I feel pretty sure I want to do Latin, English/Writing, and Math and Spelling every day and then just do one content subject other than that every day.  She also has flute practice.  In fact, I am even thinking of doing BIble seriously only once per week, because the idea of digging into it, rather than rushing through it, really appeals to me!  

I am totally confused about Science....do we buy a curriculum?  Do we try to squeeze it in? Do you just skip Science?   

And, what if you are just coming around to the Restful Learning/Less subjects per day thing and you have a 7th grader? How does that play into the scenario?  

You might want to check out Nancy Larson Science. In fact there's a thread focusing on it somewhere around here. It's quite repetitive and low key/easy to implement. Covers many areas of science in one year and doesn't take a lot of time. We've been very happy with it. I think you would want level 4 for your 10yo.

If your dd loves chants, memorization, and repetition, she may love Memoria Press's science.

We've kind of had a change of heart with my rising 7th grader, as well.  I'm letting go of a lot of my expectations, and praying more about what direction to take this year.  We are headed towards a less-is-more kind of school year, I think, with quite a bit of free time to play outside and grow a tiny lawn care business.  At the end of next year, I'll consider us successful if my son has worked on math daily, read great literature at progressively harder levels and produce well-written, well-thought out summaries of his reading, learned enough logic (and science) to 'get' the ridiculousness of most newspaper headlines, and advanced a rank or two in Scouting.

A few years ago, we used MFW and I've keep up with the idea of a book basket.  I can't tell you how much my kids have learned from just sitting around, flipping through picture books (even the 6th grader.).

Best wishes as you plan your new year!

• 3 weeks later...