Menu

2E standardized testing - help me think this through

Ds is killing the grade level practice test without any of his accommodations. I think he has maybe missed 1 question in 3 sections. While this is a great problem to have, I'm now wondering if the test results will yield any info for me as the teacher if he hits the ceiling. So, what would other moms of 2E kids do in this situation? Level up? Or take the 99% at grade level to build testing confidence with the understanding that it doesn't really gauge his ability or give the teacher any info? I know most 1E parents would just up the test but I feel like there are other considerations in a 2E situation.

This is for your own personal use?  It depends on what you are trying to find out - is the 99th percentile at grade level sufficient info for yourself?  Would going up a grade level mean that harder material might cause difficulty with working fast enough, and is that something you'd want to find out at this particular juncture?

I'm just thinking out loud here as we have some standardized testing stuff going on as well and I constantly worry about their weaknesses showing up later when it really counts (varying levels of processing speed and language processing issues).  Last week, dd13 was unable to finish in time - by a lot - the few practice sections out of a book that she did for a high school admissions test and accordingly I was freaking out about that and what to do about it.  Then, there was an official practice test at the school that she took over the weekend - we won't know the results for a bit, but she rushed through and was able to finish it.  I was so happy that she finished, because I think that increases the chances that all she'll need is a bit of ordinary test prep before the real test in the fall.  That particular test reminds me of the SAT a bit, as it includes analogies and such.  Today, her current school had her take the Terra Nova achievement test ahead of grade level in math only because she has an advanced math placement - she said it was easy and that she had several minutes left over (like 10!).  Maybe that's not a particularly difficult test or not tightly-timed, I don't know.  She's not looking forward to taking the other sections tomorrow in language areas, on grade-level.  I'm anxious to see those results too because I recently learned that they'll be part of her application to the high school (I'm sure they'll be fine, but I'll feel better when I see them).

I'm using the untimed SAT-10 so no timing issues with leveling up. I'm testing for my own info and to direct my instruction, to give him confidence with standardized tests (I'd like him to take the Spatial Battery for talent searches in a couple of years), and to fulfill the yearly testing requirements in my state (but no one sees this info unless he is re-enrolled in PS).

I have never prepped DS or given him a practice test.  DS has always taken the SAT-10 at grade level and scored PHS on at least 4 portions of the test since 5th grade.  I actually think the SAT-10 is a complete waste of time.  The only reason DS takes the test is because it is required by our cover.  For us, the SAT-10 clearly demonstrates that he's 2e, and his test scores scream asynchronous development, which we already new.  The best thing about the SAT-10 is that we were provided a Lexile score when he was 5th grade.  He's only been accommodated 7th and 8th grade, and he requires every second to complete the math portion that doesn't allow calculators. He does fine outside the math.  On the math portion of SAT-10 last year, he scored 3.5 grade levels above and my child is diagnosed dyscalculia. 

FairP., if your DS has never taken the SAT-10, maybe just order his grade level so that he can practice and readjust the following year if you feel the need.  I expect the results will confirm what you already know. 

If you actually want information, you'd do better with the Woodcock Johnson.  (if you can find someone to do it)

I agree. Unfortunately, I see people on here and DITD who are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to have fully qualified psychiatrists do these tests. If you are in a state that requires homeschoolers to test, there should be cheaper options. For instance in MN, you can find testers to do the short form for $75, if you want or need the broad math or language scores its $150( eg. http://www.achievement-test.com/testing-options/testing-fees). Hopefully you can look around and find an affordable testing option.