Menu

LOF - Please help me to know where to start (would use with R&S)

Love Home

I finally looked over the LOF samples to see what all the buzz was about and they really do look fun.  I think this would be a great math supplement for R&S 5. Has anyone done those two programs together?  Did it work out well?  Also, what book should I start with (this will be for the fifth grade)?  My dd has trouble in math and is easily frustrated so I don't want to add anything that would frustrate her more. Thanks for any help!!

In the case that you describe, you might want to start in the beginning with Apples - the computations will be easy for her, but it's a whole way of thinking about math that, if it clicks, could really rock her world.

I think it starts getting more challenging, in terms of the math, at about Goldfish - that's when they start working with multiplication.

Whatever you decide, I highly recommend getting just one book at first, and seeing how you all like it.  It's not for every kid.  When my older came home from ps in 4th grade, with serious math frustration, we ran through the whole elementary series that year, and she loved it.  My second kid, otoh, is just "meh" about it and actually asked me if we could stop doing it - she finds Fred's guillibility frustrating and all the digressions annoying - she would say, "Can we skip all that extra stuff and just stick to the math?".  My older found Fred sweet and endearing and liked having a bit of everything mixed into her math learning.  Different strokes . . . 

In the case that you describe, you might want to start in the beginning with Apples - the computations will be easy for her, but it's a whole way of thinking about math that, if it clicks, could really rock her world.

I think it starts getting more challenging, in terms of the math, at about Goldfish - that's when they start working with multiplication.

Whatever you decide, I highly recommend getting just one book at first, and seeing how you all like it.  It's not for every kid.  When my older came home from ps in 4th grade, with serious math frustration, we ran through the whole elementary series that year, and she loved it.  My second kid, otoh, is just "meh" about it and actually asked me if we could stop doing it - she finds Fred's guillibility frustrating and all the digressions annoying - she would say, "Can we skip all that extra stuff and just stick to the math?".  My older found Fred sweet and endearing and liked having a bit of everything mixed into her math learning.  Different strokes . . . 

Thanks so much for your reply!!!.  Your post confirmed what I've been thinking - starting at the beginning.  Did you use something else with your older child or use it alone?

Thanks so much for your reply!!!.  Your post confirmed what I've been thinking - starting at the beginning.  Did you use something else with your older child or use it alone?

We used it alongside Math Mammoth. LOF was really the fun math, while MM was the git 'er done, main spine.  It worked really well to have both.  When MM felt hard and sloggy, it was nice to end the session with "fun math" and when MM went well, I rewarded her with . . . more math via LOF!  A win-win for the teacher.  ;)