Menu

Coming back to homeschool - a WWYD for history

Background:  I have 2 boys, currently in 6th and 3rd grades.  Both boys left homeschool and entered a small private school for this past school year.  6th grader loves it and is thriving.  3rd grader is bored to tears and academically places with the 5th graders. 

So....3rd grader is most likely coming home next year for 4th grade. I followed WTM pretty much to the letter and my question is about the history cycle.  Because of the older brother, my younger has done SOTW 3 (loosely while in Kindergarten, but he remembers everything), 4 (in 1st grade) and then 1 (in second grade).  When he is in 5th, I envision starting him back at Ancients so I can start the logic stage at the beginning (because I'm a stickler like that :tongue_smilie:). 

What should I do with him for 4th?  My thought was to do middle ages with him since he has not been exposed to that.  But since we will go back to ancients the following year is it really worth it?  Should I do something else?  What would you do?  History was pretty much non-existent at private school except for briefly touching on community helpers/Washington/Lincoln/MLK/Native Americans.

I am also wondering if it would be worth it to do US or world geography instead?  He would love that and those are topics he is probably sorely lacking in.

Just looking for any suggestions of what you would do to fill the one year.

Thanks in advance!  I was never a big poster in the forums but read them like crazy while homeschooling.  Getting back to the forums feels like coming home :001_wub:

I had a post regarding the history cycle about a week ago. From the responses I pretty much have decided to make 4th grade a United States history and geography year. I agree with the pp that that age is perfect for that type of study.

I agree, sounds like a wonderful year to try a US history year.  Something like Beautiful Feet American history, using their junior high level since your son is advanced would probably keep it interesting and fun (It is mostly based on reading level).   I am currently in love with BF right now lol, that's why that rec.  

You could also do a State history unit in there as well.

I vote for the Middle Ages--the Med/Ren year is so fun, and it's good to have in your backround before you hit US History, because some things are much more understandable if you have the backround.

So, I'd do SOTW, and maybe read some of the 6th grade recommendations as read alouds (or readers if a strong reader) in the WTM. The AG may be a bit too young for you, but there are still good things in there--do the maps, for instance, but have your child color/label most of the countries and add a map key. Compare with modern maps via overlays. 

You have missed a book in a series you KNOW you like, and a have a year to fill. I vote for doing the Middle Ages.

And gifted kids read so much, it really doesn't matter what the official curriculum is, they are always reading from all the ages every year, anyway.

Thank you to all who responded!  When I asked DS his preference he wanted to know why we couldn't do both.  We will do state geography using Trail Guides to US Geography (really just looking for him to know where the states are and capitals) as well as SOTW 2.

Now if only I could figure out whether to gear literature towards the geography or the history... :lol: