Menu

NP

Well, it actually presents a video lesson to the student (created for individual children to use, not a classroom), then there are practice problems and then a series of problems that deal with the current concept being taught as well as a bit of review of previous concepts.  Everything that is on the DVD is pretty much also in the workbook except for the additional explanations.  The DVD tracks grades and any problem that is missed the student has the option of watching an explanation video for.  You can get on line and see an example lesson.  I urge you to issue their placement test to determine where he should be.  I honestly do not believe this system should have grade levels listed.  It should simply be levels.  

Chalk Dust 6th grade gives a review of all basic math needed up to pre-algebra, starting back from addition. You could get that and focus on the 5th grade skills. Khan Academy might work to see over and over (It is my favorite of all the options, probably except that we do not have access from home, and whatever I record while at library never seems to be the right thing, thus we got the CD DVD's). There are some math videos available through Netflix DVD service (these have around a whole half hour per video subject and are some of the longest I've seen on any topic they cover). Great Courses has a basic math review. someone last name Fisher, dubbed America's Greatest Math teacher or some such thing? has a 4th-6th math program with videos (available through Rainbow Resource though I can't recall the name exactly). Lightspeed / Standard Deviants has math DVD's (I personally do not think they are very good, but my son likes them--they are catchy/jazzy and have teens presenting the info., so more fun, I guess, than some of the other choices).  MathtutorDVD.com has stuff--my least favorite of the lot though, but maybe it would resonate with someone else.  

All the videos are pretty short for each segment, and one way or another expect follow up with written or online problems material to practice the concepts. MUS is much more incremental...he'd get a whole DVD just for fractions another one for decimals, whereas in many others there might be just a few segments on fractions (say: a general intro., adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing as 5 total parts compared to a whole DVD), so how much review he needs and how incremental he needs would be the issue to me with regard to whether or not MUS would make sense.

You see, we too like info from DVD's so I have tried a bunch!

If Chalk Dust doesn't work I'll look further into combining DS9/LD's desire to stick with Singapore, but supplementing with TT, MUS, Khan Academy or Dynamo.

My dream dyslexic/dysgraphic math program - watch video with high tech, full color white board presentation that systematically tackles math like Barton tackles reading/spelling.  Then do lessons via iPad.  Once those lessons are correct, try one or two with pencil and paper.  No multiple choice allowed. 

Instead I use lots of colored dry erase markers to set up problem, gather manipulatives, then call kiddo for lesson, teach, then he gets a break while I set up the dry erase board for 2nd problem in the Singapore HIG.

This forum has so much collective wisdom!  Thank you all. 

From OneStep:

If you get a chance, please post periodically on how Chalk Dust is working.  Thinking of using it for DD if returning to TT6 doesn't work out.

And your dream math program for dyslexic/dysgraphic math student sounds like mine.  If I were any better at math I'd say lets make one ourselves.

And, yeah, I love this forum.   :)

What math grade level is he working at?  Different levels for computation vs concepts?

For random supplements, a couple ideas to check out:  if he's good with higher concepts, there might be a few video lessons in the free AoPS Prealgebra video series that might have some use, paired with any other program.  Most of it may have to wait until he's at a prealgebra level in math, but the introductory lesson on a few topics (fractions, decimals, percents) could potentially be applicable to what's typically covered in 5th grade.  AoPS is the biggest-picture math that I can think of, if that learning style works for him better than the more traditional step-by-step, though it doesn't start until the prealgebra level.  For a little sample, this was my kids' favorite one for a while when they were younger (even the little kids enjoyed it, even if they didn't learn the math, lol).  Eta, a better example for your ds's case might be the introduction to fractions - I hadn't seen it before now.

Also, there is a free problem solving practice program there too, though again, a lot will have to be saved for when he's ready for prealgebra, yet there might be some early topics he'd be able to try and enjoy in that format - one problem at a time on the screen.  No multiple choice.  Full solutions presented afterward.