Menu

Free- A Child's History of Art, V.M. Hillyer- Online

melmac

then Calvert sells it. They sell each section separately, such as History of Art Painting

Sculpture

Architecture

and they sell each book with a lesson guide and art cards. We have the set and love it. It is quite expensive though...about 100 or so for all of it.

HTH:001_smile:

Yes, but this is the original out of print copy that is so hard to find.

Some of us just love classic books, especially for free. ;)

then Calvert sells it. They sell each section separately, such as History of Art Painting

Sculpture

Architecture

and they sell each book with a lesson guide and art cards. We have the set and love it. It is quite expensive though...about 100 or so for all of it.

HTH:001_smile:

Yes, but this is the original out of print copy that is so hard to find.

Is there a difference in the content? We have the old, old edition of A Child's History of Art, all in one volume, identical to the text on the site the OP linked. I have been reading it aloud to the kids, in dribs and drabs, but I have wondered if the newer editions, with the art cards and all, wouldn't help me implement lessons a bit more easily. I'd hate to lose the charm of the old edition, though. I adore Hillyer's style, and so do my kids.

Has anyone figured out how to make the book bigger? Thanks

If you go back to the site and search for the book under texts you might be able to download it in PDF which would appear bigger on your computer screen. I didn't try that for the books mentioned but am downloading the bird book that was the featured text.

Thanks so very much, Melmac, for sharing! This is a great site.

Is there a difference in the content? We have the old, old edition of A Child's History of Art, all in one volume, identical to the text on the site the OP linked. I have been reading it aloud to the kids, in dribs and drabs, but I have wondered if the newer editions, with the art cards and all, wouldn't help me implement lessons a bit more easily. I'd hate to lose the charm of the old edition, though. I adore Hillyer's style, and so do my kids.

:bigear: Wondering the same thing. I don't have the old edition but I am interested in the Calvert books (if it is the same as the old version). Or should I just buy the old edition? :confused:

I think they use one book each year over grades 4,5 and 6 or maybe it's 5,6 and 7. It is somewhere in that range I think. I actually do prefer the older books but this was a way for me to incorporate art lessons with art appreciation. The lesson manual includes an art lesson every other lesson and there are around 60+ lesson in just the History of Art - Painting book. Usually there is one lesson that has questions to discuss the reading and includes web sites to view more paintings and the second lesson is an art lesson which revolves around the reading too. We are finishing the Painting book this year and then starting the sculpture book. While expensive, it does cover art for several years. We supplement this with artist studies too.

HTH