Menu

Hard Water & Glass Shower Doors...

LisaKinVA

As we prepare to move into our new home sometime in the coming weeks...I'm trying to figure out how to keep the glass shower doors (3 sets of these) sparkling clean.

I have used the cleaning vinegar with success to remove deposits -- I'm more in the market for something that will help prevent the stuff from building up (for example, will using rain-X work?).  Two of the showers have "round" doors, so squeegees won't work on those.  Or, do we just need to get in the habit of spraying the vinegar mix, wiping down, and then using windex/paper towel to dry after showers are done for the day/night?

I have gone to great lengths in all of my previously lived in homes to avoid high-maintenance shower doors for this reason...and now I have three (but these doors are very popular in Naples, for some reason). 

:bigear:

Been dealing with this myself--only one glass shower door, but in order to keep it clean, I'd have to clean it every other day ... not so much interested in that! I just deal with letting it look a little spotty most of the time, but if anyone has an easy solution, I'd love to hear it too!

Ages ago, we had glass shower doors in our apartment. Rain X helped.

I'm rather lazy, and would never take on the habit of constant windexing.  We have very hard water (though no more shower doors) and I just wipe down the surround walls with my bath towel after being the last one in.  Every couple of weeks, I give the bottom of the tub a good swipe with a Magic Eraser. The end. (Magic Eraser is awesome on hard water.)

You don't need Rain-X, Windex, or a squeegee.  Just dry the door after each shower with a regular towel.  The hard water marks can only build up if the water is allowed to dry on the door. My Dad has nasty water that stains everything rust, but the shower door, which he religiously wipes down after every shower, is clear as a bell.

Yes, this means training the kids    :glare: