Menu

10 grade! What are you using with your dc

Well it's time to start looking to next year! I was wondering what everyone has used or will be using next year. I am looking at several different curricula because nothing I am using is working for him. We need to beef up writing, math (basic), and revisit spelling. I am thinking of combining history and science with my 8th grader ( he has some LD issues too). Anyone?

Well I don't know if it's helpful to you or not, but my dd is going to do pretty much a continuation of what we've been doing this year (TT, WWS, etc.).  The only excitement around here is that I've finally gotten a vision for how she can start connecting to some DOING and where this is all going.  We had jokingly (or not so jokingly) said to her for a while that she ought to go to culinary school for a year after she graduates.  Now we're actually putting shoe leather to it, figuring out the courses, where she could go, what the path would be.  

Maybe some kind of vision making would be in order?  Maybe an apprenticeship or a job for a man this summer who will mentor him or something where it becomes clear how this is coming together?  Our friends were just telling us the work their ds with SN did for a man between his freshman and sophomore years was HUGE in changing his perspective on where things are going and what his goals are.  It was hands-on work of some kind (mechanics?) that really suited him.  

Just a thought.

What are his interests?  Talents?  What level is he working at?

My girls are in 10th grade in the public schools.  There is a shift now towards practical academics---cooking, money management, navigating the community and using community resources, 2-3 hours a day of volunteering at various job sites, etc.  In 11th grade they can take classes at the local vocational center 1/2 days.  Maybe start looking into that if that might fit what your son is interested in.

We used IEW's Student Writing Intensive (SWI) followed by the SWI Continuation Course.  For my son's, with their writing difficulties, the program was excellent and brought about the most notable progress in their ability to write essays out of any program we used.  Other than that, Ottakee's questions are good for helping to figure out what recommendations might be helpful to you. ;-)