Menu

How does an anxiety disorder affect homeschooling in your home?

summerreading

Hi folks, I wish I had a more cheerful post, but oh well another day maybe.

I have panic disorder, it used to be pretty darn ugly, but I have been taking an anti-depressant for 2 years and it helps a lot. When I do have an occassional breakthrough anxiety attack, it starts off the whole worrying about things for days and feeling depressed. Of course, homeschooling is on the anxiety list of things I think I may be epically failing at but never knew.

Relatives will start saying you sound stressed maybe it's time for public school, etc.

Do you or one of your kids have anxiety? Do you have some coping strategies to share?

Anxiety generally wants a place to land, just energy wanting a home, hence the worrying about seemingly random and/or inconsequential things. The list is endlessly inventive and exhaustive. In your situation I think the fact that you're given some lead-up clues as to a possible panic attack a few days before might be a place to start. Right then and there you might remind yourself that your anxiety is just looking for a hitching post and we all know how that goes once hitched so send it on its way with a prayer or blessing and then make a cup of tea and go about your business. As many times as it takes. This won't help much with the overall unnameable anxiety but it might diminish some of the more obvious aspects of it.

And as a pp mentioned no need to share your inner life with anyone but those who will be of benefit to your unfolding.

:grouphug:

My youngest DD has anxiety disorder. There are days when school is just not going to be successful. I have had more hours of agonizing over her than the other 3 combined. I have been certain that she would never read well. She now chooses to read for fun. I was certain she would never succeed at math. She is now wrapping up Singapore 5B and doesn't need me sitting beside her every second. I was certain she would never write a paragraph on her own, now she chooses to do her writing lessons first.

I really wish I had relaxed and enjoyed the days when all we did was read books together instead of being certain I was ruining her life. She is a smart girl. I am doing my best to give her tools to help her be successful. She will get there. Most importantly she has enjoyed getting there instead of the terror she felt daily during her 6weeks at PS. I *know* that wouldn't work.

I'm fortunate that, having been homeschooled myself, homeschooling is not an anxiety point for me. Id be more anxious if I sent them to school! but I have my own triggers so I do understand

I agree with not telling people who are anti homeschool about any homeschool anxiety, they just won't get it and may well feed the problem

And as long as its not happening every day, be ok with backing off on the hard days. One of the reasons we school year round is so, if I wake up knowing I'm going to have an off mental health day, I can cancel school and focus on myself and the kids emotionally with minimal guilt. Be ok with letting go and doing a little bit, but doing it well, instead of doing a lot, but badly, on those days.

I have PTSD and know that it does make a diffence in how we homeschool.

My sons both have SNs which, for one son, includes anxiety related issues.

So we have three school "speeds":

Full- everything that we consider part of that day's schooling gets done (Content and skill subjects plus fun)

Half- skill subjects and only enough content and fun to grease the wheels of education

Neutral- just enough to keep routine so my routine dependent child doesn't get anxious

When I am having a severe PTSD episode we fluxuate between half and neutral. Some days we may just play educational games, watch a documentary, and read. If one of my sons is having a really bad day I just shift into neutral. If we are having a good day I shoot for full speed.

The first key for us is that we school year round allowing us flexibility to take those days in half or neutral as needed. For me having prioritized the subjects and the skills and writing out my plans in a way that allows me to not have to rewrite everything I push everytime I need to push something makes it work.

The second is that I automate and delegate as much of the household responsibilities as possible. I know that I cannot do everything on my own for an infinite amount of time; I will have bad days and I need to have a plan for when those days happen. (And extend a little grace to myself when they do.)

The third key, (which may actually be THE key), is that my DH and I are a team and on the same page about schooling and my health. (Okay....he is actually much more on top of my health than I am!) So he takes some of the load. And, when things are bad, he takes even more. When we have a longer than normal stretch of days where *I* need neutral then DH and I sit down and prioritize what needs to be done. Sometimes that means letting things go; sometimes it means getting extra help.

I think it is entirely possible to homeschool while having an anxiety disorder, (or any other ongoing medical condition for that matter), as long as you are willing to be realistic about what you can do plus manage your condition and if you have a reliable support system.

I'm fortunate that, having been homeschooled myself, homeschooling is not an anxiety point for me. Id be more anxious if I sent them to school! but I have my own triggers so I do understand

I agree with not telling people who are anti homeschool about any homeschool anxiety, they just won't get it and may well feed the problem

And as long as its not happening every day, be ok with backing off on the hard days. One of the reasons we school year round is so, if I wake up knowing I'm going to have an off mental health day, I can cancel school and focus on myself and the kids emotionally with minimal guilt. Be ok with letting go and doing a little bit, but doing it well, instead of doing a lot, but badly, on those days.

It's nice to hear that you were homeschooled and chose it yourself. And I agree, I might feel worse sending them to school.

Thanks for all the replies on the thread, good advice and very helpful.