Menu

Math costs...can we list the options per program ?

Ds is doing the Derek Owens Pre-alg course this year.  It was a flat purchase with access to the videos, student books, and answer keys for me to check his work.  

He wants to do the Alg 1 next year but at $58/month that adds up.   We have to fax/email work in after it's done...and well, I am now going back to the beginning on picking out math for algebra next year.

What are the price points of the major programs out there?  Ds is doing well with Derek Owens.  But I would like to get our costs down.  My kids are back to back grades....if I start with $500+ online math class for one kid I won't be able to afford everything for 2 kids down the road lol!

I will say this child doesn't like math, but is very ahead in math and does well.  But I know AOPS isn't his thing.  I am open to most anything else....and being able to reuse for another child is bonus!  I think that was my issue...I couldn't reuse an online program.  So I want a cheaper online option OR a program I can reuse and justify the upfront costs.  

I am pretty sure I don't want the Saxon teacher videos....I can't do that voice for years.  So what else is video based and cheaper than $58 a month??

TabletClass will have a sale in May. A full year will be $50. I think that includes video lectures, workbook and answer key. Probably tests. You will have to grade yourself. I think it is a great deal.

Saxon algebra 1---I bought the books used (hardback text, solutions manual, homeschool packet) very inexpensively. Amazon lists 3rd edition text starting at about $7, homeschool packet $1.05, solutions manual $16.50---with used curricula sales coming up, you may even find books for less. We have used the at your own pace program from the Virtual Homeschool Group (www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com) for free---voicethread of lesson, computer-scored problem sets and tests online, with open office hours available if the student needs more help than the online responses provide. My daughter prefers to do problem sets on paper (that's where the solutions manual and packet come in handy), but does the tests online. I think I probably paid more for the books than the cheapest current Amazon price, but we've done the entire year for less than $50, and it's entirely reusable. Another option for video for Saxon is Art Reed--his dvd set is $50 for the year, which would increase the price, but is reusable. My daughter used his dvds for pre-algebra and had the option of VHG or Art Reed for algebra as we had both. She prefers VHG. They are both secular. VHG also ran a free live online class this year for algebra 1, but that may not be true for next year---depends on volunteer availability. They have several levels of Saxon in the at your own pace version and are working to build out more. We'll be doing algebra 2 through them next year.

I noticed you are planning to do Apologia for science next year. VHG also has free Apologia online science classes, both live and at your own pace, so you may want to check them out.

how often does Tablet Class have that sale?  Their Facebook page looked like there was also one in Jan, and previously in Aug?  Ds is going to watch the video.  Feels like he talks slooooow.  

I like the idea of Chalkdust and could resell later on. I prefer the videos. 

still need to look at the VHG. 

thanks, keep the prices coming LOL!

Scout from University of California-- http://www.ucscout.org/courses has math courses from Pre-algebra through AP Calculus BC. According their FAQs

What are your fees?
Scout is free to all California public schools with the following exceptions. Please refer to our pricing list below. All prices are per semester:
California Public Schools
Core Basic - Student or teacher enrollment in a basic course: Free*
Core Plus - Personalized section of a course in which your school supplies the teacher: $99 technology setup fee per section, per semester.
Core Premium - Single student in a course in which Scout provides the teacher: $149 fee per student, per semester.
Private and Out-of-State Schools
Core Basic - Student or teacher enrollment in a basic course: $19*
Core Plus - Personalized section of a course in which your school supplies the teacher: $99 setup fee per section, plus $19 per student, per semester.
Core Premium - Single student in a course in which Scout provides the teacher: $149 fee per student, per semester.
* Includes online lessons and videos only. Credentialed teachers can request assessments for use outside of the learning management system.

$19 for materials (per semester?) or $300 a year for high school/AP courses with an instructor is the cheapest I know of.

how often does Tablet Class have that sale?  Their Facebook page looked like there was also one in Jan, and previously in Aug?  Ds is going to watch the video.  Feels like he talks slooooow. 

The sales only started last year. I'm not sure how often Mr Zimmerman plans to have them. You have to sign up for the newsletter to qualify for the sale. That link also has sample videos for each course.

I, personally, prefer Derek Owens' voice and speed of presentation. But the TabletClass price is very good for a video-based teacher.

The sales only started last year. I'm not sure how often Mr Zimmerman plans to have them. You have to sign up for the newsletter to qualify for the sale. That link also has sample videos for each course.

I, personally, prefer Derek Owens' voice and speed of presentation. But the TabletClass price is very good for a video-based teacher.

Exactly!  We like his voice.  Ds was at a spot this year he wanted different but after looking at more and more videos we really like DO's pace.  We either liked a voice or the pace, but not both.  I just hate to spend so much money for one kid on one class.  If I really wanted to spend a lot of money it would be on writing....we all hate writing lol.  I chose not to teach math b/c it was the source of our frustration with each other.  Now, I just help guide him and it's way better.  

Will sign up for this and try it, thanks!

Many of the Chalkdust videos are now available online for free as a supplement to Ron Larson's textbooks. (Click on instructional videos button from the links below). The exceptions would be pre-algebra and geometry which were developed for a different textbook author. Coolmathguy.com mentioned above has the same videos but available for purchase on an a la carte basis.

Elementary Algebra

Intermediate Algebra

Elem. & Inter. Algebra

College Prep Algebra

Algebra & Trig

Trigonometry

Precalculus

Calculus

Here are some links for the generic DVDs. In some cases, there is more than one version due to different editions of the textbook. Click here to find a more comprehensive list of possible DVD links.

Prealgebra DVD (using Aufmann text) 

Geometry DVD (Using Alexander text)

Precalculus DVD (Using Larson text)

Calculus DVD (Using Larson text).

Many of the Chalkdust videos are now available online for free as a supplement to Ron Larson's textbooks. (Click on instructional videos button from the links below). The exceptions would be pre-algebra and geometry which were developed for a different textbook author. Coolmathguy.com mentioned above has the same videos but available for purchase on an a la carte basis.

Elementary Algebra

Intermediate Algebra

Elem. & Inter. Algebra

College Prep Algebra

Algebra & Trig

Trigonometry

Precalculus

Calculus

Here are some links for the generic DVDs. In some cases, there is more than one version due to different editions of the textbook. Click here to find a more comprehensive list of possible DVD links.

Wow! Thank you!!!

Elementary Algebra

Intermediate Algebra

Elem. & Inter. Algebra

College Prep Algebra

Algebra & Trig

Trigonometry

Precalculus

Calculus

Thanks a bunch!

Julie - The HM version DVDs are in boxed sets. So what you see online is a holder that contains multiple DVDs. If you look closely at the picture for the precalculus one it says it contains 11 DVDs with 40 hours of instruction The number of DVDs doesn't seem to match up but I think the total instructional hours is probably close - maybe they just formatted teh disks differently with more material on each one. 

3 and me, you totally made my day by saving me $$!!

this is a cut and paste from another thread which is no longer pulling up fully:

basic math

Edition (6 DVD's)

Teacher Edition ISBN: 978-0618202867

Student Text ISBN: 978-0618202850

pre-algebra

DVD

<http://www.holisticp...780618372706>\

TM

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618372636/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condit\

ion=new>

$23.45

Soloutions<http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618372652/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=\

UTF8&condition=used>(ODD

Only) starting at $1.55

Text<http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618372628/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&c\

ondition=used>-Used

starting at 83 cents, yup I said cents

algebra 1

Elementary Algebra the same as Algebra 1

Student textbook put out by Chalkdust ISBN-13: 978-0618107742

Student textbook for less… ISBN 9780618753536 (doesn’t say Chalkdust)

Solution Guide by CD ISBN-13: 978-0618107773

Solution Guide not by CD (cheaper) ISBN: 9780618388196

Videos ISBN-13: 9780618388233 (Make sure you get 6 videos).

algebra 2

Algebra 2 DVD-ISBN: 9780618306763

Text ISBN: 9780618218783

Student Solutions ISBN 978-0618218806

precalculus

http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Limits-Graphing-Approach-dvd/dp/0618394877/ref\

=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1205523042&sr=11-1

Precalculus With Limits: A Graphing Approach (dvd edition) (CD-ROM)

# ISBN-10: 0618394877

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394876

http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Functions-Graphs-Graphing-Approach/dp/06183947\

61/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

Precalculus Functions And Graphs: A Graphing Approach (Paperback)

# ISBN-10: 0618394761

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394760

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618394818/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fenc\

oding=UTF8&v=glance

Study and Solutions Guide to Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing

Approach / Precalculus With Limits: A Graphing Approach (Paperback)

# ISBN-10: 0618394818

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394814

if someone can get the thread tagged "generic chalk dust" to pull up in full with isbns and can link it for her, that'd be awesome.

Thinkwell Algebra is $65 when it goes on sale at Homeschool Buyers Coop several times a year. I am a math-y type and I think it's great. We are getting through what is supposed to be a 34-week program in about 25 weeks, and then moving to Geometry. Very pleased with the product.

I like the idea of Chalkdust and could resell later on. I prefer the videos. 

still need to look at the VHG. 

thanks, keep the prices coming LOL!

I just got a notice that the TC sale will start on 5/1.  I'm going to pick up Algebra to follow-up on AoPS Intro to Algebra.

"Now don't forget about the SUPER SALE as it's a great discount - you can select a full 1 year course for $50!!! 

Remember with the TabletClass Super Sale Discount you can purchase your course early and have the start date adjusted later- so you can buy in May and have your course start in August!!! AMAZING WAY TO SECURE SAVINGS!!"

Jann in Texas is a little less than DO if you opt for once a week vs. twice:

Tuition will be as follows:

Basic College Math $30 per month
1 day (Geometry or Algebra 2) $40 per month
2 day (Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2) $50 per month