Menu

What are you excited about for next year? Top three

I am excited to finally HAVE plans set for next year! :)

Most excited about:

1. ASK Science Kits

2. SL Core E readers and read alouds and other lit picks

3. Brave Writer

ETA: Just realized this was the logic stage forum ...oops! But I will leave it since they are for my 4th grader and it all could be used for logic stage ;)

DS10 in 5th next year:

1. RightStart E (because he'll be my first to go through levels A-E! There's something so satisfying about sticking with a curriculum and seeing success with it! I'm still on the fence about G the year after that, though...)

2. VP Josh - Kings & Ancient Egypt (they don't line up, but that's because I've owned them forever and keep dropping first one, then the other, in favor of other programs. Next year I want to try again and I'm optimistic that we'll stick it out this time...haha)

3. His own independent reading (it's just starting to take off now in 4th; I'm excited to see what he enjoys next year! It's fun to start planning which ones to present him with!)

7th grade:

1. Literature (Watership Down, 1984, Animal Farm... Can you see the theme?), Figuratively Speaking

2. Geography (Trail Guide to World Geography)

3. Spanish (conversational Spanish class that I am taking with her)

3rd grade:

1. Literature (Heidi, Black Beauty, Five Little Peppers, etc...)

2. Geography (Trail Guide to World Geography)

3. CAP Writing & Rhetoric

I wish math was on my list, but unfortunately despite how much I like math, none of my girls do which makes it a not so pleasant part of the day.

*I* am excited about modern history! I'm not sure if my kids are or not, but I am. Well, DS1 seems to like history; he uses SOTW, and his work is just enough of a push for him. It's a bit more work for DD, but I'm hoping she'll find it relevant and interesting enough to like it.

I am also excited about earth science, and I'm never excited for science. I am excited about our multiple-grade approach to it -- picture books for the littles, Mr. Q for DS1, Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and/or the CK-12 book for DD, and Mr. Q labs for all. Plus, I am excited about tying it in with geography, since we'll be using A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth -- it seems like the perfect complement to earth science. (I thought it might be a little young for DD -- and it probably is -- but she loves the ideas for projects, like the ice cream mold of the earth, LOL.)

And I'm excited about literature (as well as slightly trepidatious) -- I am going to try reading along with DD so we can discuss things more, and I'm both excited and a little nervous about that. I'm very excited about our family lit plans for Narnia and for the other lit on our list. DS1's history steps up the lit quite a bit, and I'm thrilled about that! And DS2 will be reading soon, and that's exciting too!

(Okay, and I'm excited about math and languages and everything. LOL)

*I* am excited about modern history! I'm not sure if my kids are or not, but I am. Well, DS1 seems to like history; he uses SOTW, and his work is just enough of a push for him. It's a bit more work for DD, but I'm hoping she'll find it relevant and interesting enough to like it.

I am also excited about earth science, and I'm never excited for science. I am excited about our multiple-grade approach to it -- picture books for the littles, Mr. Q for DS1, Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and/or the CK-12 book for DD, and Mr. Q labs for all. Plus, I am excited about tying it in with geography, since we'll be using A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth -- it seems like the perfect complement to earth science. (I thought it might be a little young for DD -- and it probably is -- but she loves the ideas for projects, like the ice cream mold of the earth, LOL.)

And I'm excited about literature (as well as slightly trepidatious) -- I am going to try reading along with DD so we can discuss things more, and I'm both excited and a little nervous about that. I'm very excited about our family lit plans for Narnia and for the other lit on our list. DS1's history steps up the lit quite a bit, and I'm thrilled about that! And DS2 will be reading soon, and that's exciting too!

(Okay, and I'm excited about math and languages and everything. LOL)

It's good to be excited about everything! Congratulations!  :hurray:

LOL, it's because spring has finally arrived, and we're on break for a couple of weeks, so have been planning for next year. It makes me so happy to have a little stack of new books, all smooth and unmarked, to flip through as I put plans into my planning app. I know there will come a time in the heat of August and the cold of February when I'll be like, "let's just get it DONE," but right now, I am having too much fun imagining how it will all go. :)

(My summer reading is going to be SOTW 3 and 4; I read 1 aloud to the kids last year, and I have a degree in 2 and should theoretically be able to tell it in my sleep, but my modern history is spotty. Since DS1 retains info better when he reads it to himself, I am missing out on reading SOTW to him. Therefore, I am going to try to read SOTW myself so that I at least have it in my head.)

For my 7th grade daughter:

-  MP First Form Latin (Latina Christiana went so well and we've both enjoyed learning the language)

-  Middle Ages history (cobbled together by me, but consisting of lots of reading, reading, reading, with some essay content writing)

-  Chemistry (Ellen McHenry Elements and Carbon Chemistry, along with the RFP chemistry experiments)

For my 4th grade son (who will be a new homeschooler):

-  MP Prima Latina (We're starting slow; it worked well that way for my daughter)

-  World History (We love history here, and since son is coming from the public school, he's had no world history, so we're doing

SOTW along with supplemental history stories. Emphasis on the Greeks and Romans, as per son's request)

-  Geography (I get to teach him the bulk of world geography, since he didn't learn it in public school)

I am excited about

1. Writing and Rhetoric- my kids beg to do writing with this curriculum, and that is a first for us.

2. Ancient History using living books and great literature, this will be the first time I do not have a text to follow for history, so I'm super excited to finish planning this summer.

3. Latin for Children (for dd) & Latin Alive (for ds).

Oak Meadow 6 (English and Ancient Civilizations) - I'm hoping this works because it combines art, history, geography and English, so maybe the day will get done faster and won't feel so splintered

Ellen McHenry chemistry - I think this is what I want to do for science, it looks like a lot of fun. I keep waffling between that and OM Life Science because I've already got the TM, and it would be so neatly packaged together. Then again, DD has studied life science topics nearly every single year, but has barely touched on chem or physics.

I'm still excited about the math program we started in February or March, she'll be finishing it sometime next year. We're using Lial's BCM, and DD says she actually likes math now! It's such a shock. I thought CLE had been working well, but apparently she was bored out of her mind. She jumped from the CLE 400 series to the new book and seems to enjoy the challenge.  

Are you using it?  We're on the last experiment of chapter 3, the intrusion alarm revisited.  

No, but I ordered it yesterday. Hubby loves electronics (it's a big part of his career) and upon seeing the text we decided it was perfect for our boys. They will LOVE it. THANKS for mentioning it.  :coolgleamA:

Just one here, too:

I am really excited about the restaurant adventure ds and I are going on.  Every 2 weeks we plan on having lunch at a different ethnic restaurant (including Tibetan, Filipino, Peruvian, and Vietnamese).  We live in such a diverse area with restaurants of every cuisine imaginable and we're finally going to take advantage of that!  Then we plan on learning as much as we can about that nation until we hit the next restaurant 2 weeks later.  (geography & global/cultural awareness)

For 5th grade dd:

Math: We'll be using Beast Academy as it comes out, bits and pieces of other things link LOF, and Jousting Armadillos.

Ancient History: Connecting with History  I'm especially excited to have all of my kids combined in this area.

Writing/English: English Lessons Through Literature & Writing and Rhetoric, plus more narration, dictation, and copywork/copybookj

No, but I ordered it yesterday. Hubby loves electronics (it's a big part of his career) and upon seeing the text we decided it was perfect for our boys. They will LOVE it. THANKS for mentioning it.  :coolgleamA:

Awesome.  Do me a favor and check back with me on the WTM boards once you've done the first few experiments or so.  I'd love to connect and see what you and DH think of it!  

I am excited to buy stuff for next year, does that count? :)

7th grader:

Having more independent work

5th and 3rd grader:

Doing SOTW 3 and sonlight science together

Also, I am excited we bought disney passes for us and the kiddos! Okay, not school related, but I am sure I can find something educational about it!

Oak Meadow 6 (English and Ancient Civilizations) - I'm hoping this works because it combines art, history, geography and English, so maybe the day will get done faster and won't feel so splintered

Ellen McHenry chemistry - I think this is what I want to do for science, it looks like a lot of fun. I keep waffling between that and OM Life Science because I've already got the TM, and it would be so neatly packaged together. Then again, DD has studied life science topics nearly every single year, but has barely touched on chem or physics.

I'm also planning on OM 6 English & Ancient Civ and deciding on science. Right now, I'm leaning toward Story of Science (Aristotle) with the quest guides. I have been tempted by OM Life Science, though.