Menu

What are you excited about for next year? Top three

In light of the other thread which lists tempting curricula we don't need, I wanted to start one on the top three curricula and resources per grade we are excited to use next year. 

I'll start. I can't wait to start the following with DS10 next year in sixth:

1. Dorothy Mills' ancient history books with A Mind in the Light's Book Notes

2. A Child's Geography: Exploring the Holy Land and The Classical World 

3. The Big Book of Lively Latin

Excited to do these the second time around, but this time with DD6:

1. SOTW 1: The Ancients with Activity Guide

2. Primary Language Lessons (Serl's PLL)

3. Supplementary history books (I like ancients)

Aw man, just 3? If I do say so myself, we have a very exciting year planned!  ;)

1) Big History

2) The Hobbit/Origins of Fantasy Literature/LOTR

3) Big Science: Origins - big bang, stars & elements, solar system & earth, life/evolution, the brain

ETA: did I break the thread rule on the first post?  I didn't really list curricula/resources, did I, just topics.  

1) for Big History/Ancient History - Big History project plus OUP books on Early Human, Ancient China, South Asia,. Egypt, and Near East

2) For The Hobbit - a variety of resources I've pulled together, including the Garlic Press lit guide, Mythgard lectures, and LLLOTR (at least starting it)

3) for Big Science - Big history project (first half) plus TC lectures, Coursera classes, THe Elements & The Brain by McHenry, and several texty books, including Magic of Reality, A Really Short HIstory of Nearly Everything, a Briefer History of Time, Dr. Arts Guide to Science, and more . . . 

with my 3rd grader:

1) Beast Academy

2) CAP Writing & Rhetoric

3)Parallel studies, as much as possible, for big history and big science - she loves history and science, so my challenge will be to find books at her level for the topics her sister is studying.  I think it will be really fun, though, and give her a super nice overview of what is coming up in the years ahead.  We won't exactly combine, of course, and output will be totally separate, but I bet she listens to most of the reading, and watches all the videos, and picks up a ton.  

I just thought that I'd share this link with your Rose, although you may have already seen it. I'm considering it for my younger daughter this fall along with a George MacDonald study.

http://tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectures/courses/faerie-and-fantasy/

She has actually read a number of the books/works already but some were read a few years ago. I think she'd love this approach!

My older daughter has read The Silmarillion (twice) but I think she'd enjoy the course on it.

I'm excited about these:

Literature plans for the fall (Above Tolkien course and George MacDonald books)

Science plans for the fall (I'm still working this out but I want to really overhaul how we do this.)

French plans as I get this set up in the next month or so...both girls are doing well together (younger daughter is keeping up still) and we will finish up French 1 and start moving into 2. I will be adding a lot more reading and writing. I'm all set to start our weekly French Tea Time too. :)

I just thought that I'd share this link with your Rose, although you may have already seen it. I'm considering it for my younger daughter this fall along with a George MacDonald study.

http://tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectures/courses/faerie-and-fantasy/

She has actually read a number of the books/works already but some were read a few years ago. I think she'd love this approach!

My older daughter has read The Silmarillion (twice) but I think she'd enjoy the course on it.

Oh, wow!  Thank you for sharing this link.  My DD is a HUGE Tolkien fan (just got a new Build-a-Bear named John Ronald Reuel :001_smile: )  So this will add yet another wrinkle to may lesson plans for next year!

Besides the most awesome non-curricula thing being that I am not directing and teaching in a co-op for the first time in 5 years, I'm most excited about these subjects.

BJU History 6: I know it may seem silly to some to be excited about a "boxed" curricula, but the student activities in this program looked amazing when I previewed them at the convention. 

Latin First Form: I've always been scared of doing Latin, but I've been told on here that math people usually do really well with it. I'm glad to be facing my fear!

My pull-it-together myself lit plan: This includes Figuratively Speaking, MP's Poetry and American Lit anthologies, Christian Light reading, and several lit books.

I'll try to play along...

1. Our Hobbit/LOTR literature study - I'm bringing in various tales/books/etc. that influenced the writing of The Hobbit and LOTR, including but not limited to The Princess & the Goblin, The Marvelous Land of the Snergs, Germanic and Norse mythologies, The Wind in the Willows, etc.

2. Continuing with our interest-led approach to the content areas. We use modern books, vintage books (Landmark, World Landmark, Messner biographies, All About science...), Great Courses, documentaries, movies, and so on.

3. Brave Writer

2. UPDATED - my daughter's homemade biology/nature studies, and my son's foray into Hewitt's Conceptual Integrated Science Explorations.

3. UPDATED - math! Dd will be returning to Saxon, which I find to be very solid, and ds is totally excited about AoPs prealgebra!

4. And a 4th becuase I can't help it. K12's Human Odyssey has proven itself to be a great backbone to our studies. We find a lot of fun rabbit trails to explore! We'll be studying the Middle Ages up through the Renaissance and Reformation over the next year.

Still thinking about writing. We've been doing a sort of Brave Writer aproach, but do I want to simplify and use a writing program, or ???? And should I actually assign ds some reading? I am thinking about it.

Edited by momto2Cs

I'm most excited about starting a great books program with Trinqueta. I'm going to use Rolling Acre's Independent Study materials but we're going to do the discussion ourselves.

I'm also looking forward to Cambridge Latin this summer. We'll go back to a more grammar based approach with Jenney's Latin and an online class in the fall, but we'll just read about Pompeii this summer.

I'm glad that T is finally enthusiastic about studying Spanish. She always hated the elementary programs and found the lack of formal grammar frustrating, but at the same time, she would wig out when I tried to explain conjugations and tenses. My most vexing source of mommy guilt was that she didn't pick up Spanish naturally and I couldn't seem to teach it well enough.

With DD 5th:

1. History Through the Ages Timeline

2. Calligraphy Pens

3. Story of the World Audiobooks

With DS 2nd:

1. Beast Academy (not till closer to end of the year)

With DS 2nd and DS 1st Together:

2. TOG ancients for the first time with them (second time for DD)

3. Song School Latin with DVD

With DS Preschooler:

1. Tabletop easel with felt figures and magnet shapes (felt board on one side, magnet/white board on other)

2. Kumon my first...books

3. Lacing cards

Dd (7th next year)

1. Cover Story Writing DVDs (I'm hoping to see these at a convention)

2. Garlic Press Literature Guides

3. Geography study with picture books (it has been awhile since we've used picture books in our school day)

Next year I'm really excited to be doing SL Core F. I'm looking forward to a break from history and a focus on cultures. Secondly I'm excited about where she'll be in her French studies - getting to some more exciting stuff as she learns more and we'll be able to start conversing. We're starting WWS next year and I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Finally, I'm looking forward to being done All About Spelling!! Ha.

For Upcoming 7th grader:

-Omnibus III (with my own substitutions for some of the heavily Reformed/Protestant books)

-Art of Argument

-She has decided to start French (in lieu of trying Greek again)...yay! Probably will use a mix of GSWF/The Learnables/Tell Me More

For youngers:

-VP Self-Paced History 

-possibly CAP W&R?

-guiding them through WTM Early Modern Reading lists (reading, writing and discussing...fun!!)

I didn't do both kids, only the logic stage one.

For dd:

First Form Latin with both; The get along really well now, and I wanted to do something together dd's last year.

Life Management: still putting this together but will be life skills she needs before going to college

Astronomy: This is actually with both, too, and we'll begin this summer. I'm using Signs & Seasons, but I'll be adding in various books and videos. I hope to spend many nights driving out of town to look at the stars.

I'm most excited about having all of my dc in the same time period for history !  It's been years since we've all been on the same page.  So, I will have 11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd, and K doing American History. I've not gotten it completely planned out yet but I'm excited about the emphasis on visual components we will use.  Lots of videos, documentaries, and movies.  We will also incorporate geography, art, music, poetry and  literature (although not a lot of historical fiction ... more so literature written during the time periods).  I'm just really looking forward to having a common thread between everyone and between subjects.  The younger dc (3rd and K) will also focus on science topics that come up through our studies as well.  AND we are kicking this study off early by taking a trip to DC in a few weeks. :) 

I'm also excited about doing a Narnia literature study with dd11 and ds8. 

I think the 3rd thing would be that ds8 is finally taking off with his reading and will be able to read more for knowledge than just practice reading.  It opens up a whole new level of learning for him. :)

Aw man, just 3? If I do say so myself, we have a very exciting year planned! ;)

1) Big History

2) The Hobbit/Origins of Fantasy Literature/LOTR

3) Big Science: Origins - big bang, stars & elements, solar system & earth, life/evolution, the brain

ETA: did I break the thread rule on the first post? I didn't really list curricula/resources, did I, just topics.

1) for Big History/Ancient History - Big History project plus OUP books on Early Human, Ancient China, South Asia,. Egypt, and Near East

2) For The Hobbit - a variety of resources I've pulled together, including the Garlic Press lit guide, Mythgard lectures, and LLLOTR (at least starting it)

3) for Big Science - Big history project (first half) plus TC lectures, Coursera classes, THe Elements & The Brain by McHenry, and several texty books, including Magic of Reality, A Really Short HIstory of Nearly Everything, a Briefer History of Time, Dr. Arts Guide to Science, and more . . .

with my 3rd grader:

1) Beast Academy

2) CAP Writing & Rhetoric

3)Parallel studies, as much as possible, for big history and big science - she loves history and science, so my challenge will be to find books at her level for the topics her sister is studying. I think it will be really fun, though, and give her a super nice overview of what is coming up in the years ahead. We won't exactly combine, of course, and output will be totally separate, but I bet she listens to most of the reading, and watches all the videos, and picks up a ton.

What is big science and big history?

I love reading what everyone is stoked about. Packaged or not, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are excited about it :)

I'm also excited about the fact that for the first time, I'll have both kids on the same page in history - all doing ancients - woohoo!

What is big science and big history?

Big History is this:

https://course.bighistoryproject.com/bhplive#

I wanted to do this before we started another chronological history cycle, Shannon is in the perfect mental place to do a "big picture" study before diving into more detailed study of interesting time periods.  You'll notice that the first several units are very sciency topics, and I had planned to do an Origins study in science this year anyway, so I decided to expand both the science and the history portions of Big History, and let it take up 2+ hours a day, and cover both scientific origins (big bang, stars & elements, solar system & earth, origin & evolution of life) and historical origins over the course of the whole year.  So I've taken Big History as a spine, and added resources to both the history and the science components, so it will be "2 credits" and take up the whole year-of-science and year-of-history.  So, I'm calling it Big History and Big Science as shorthands.

1. Plague! Problem Solving for One

2. Essentials in Writing

3. Hands-on Science: science classes at to zoo and science labs at the science center

Mandy, I'm intrigued by your first item. Googling didn't narrow it down for me.  Would you mind sharing a link and/or more info about Plague! Problem Solving for One?  TIA!

Wah Im not feeling real excited.

This year turned out neat because the kids took a writing class and used the skills to write about NZ before we went in February for a 3 week tour of the north island. Because we were going to Hobbiton, we read the Hobbit and have continued into TLOTR. It has been an adventure to research, experience, read and report about what we got to see.

Every year I fail with foreign language. Tried BIg book of Lively Latin but got overwhelmed with the chants. Switched back to GSWSpanish but dropped it when I got overwhelmed.

Next year I want to try WWS with ds and am afraid it will be a battle. I think it will be good for him, however.

For dd:

1) Ancients: I'm really excited about starting K12 Human Odyssey and about the literature list we've been working on to accompany it.

2) CPO Earth Science: I've never done labs or experiments before with my kids aside from the occasion butterfly-raising or plant-growing project, so this will be new for us. Dd is excited about it and dh is happily taking over as the support for the labs which I think will be fun for them both.

3) Documentaries: We've never really used them as a resource, and I've been compiling a list of both history and science documentaries that will dovetail with what we're studying next year.

My daughter can't wait to start Apologia Zoology Swimming Creatures. The books came last week and I think she has already read through half of it! She cannot wait to make the ocean box. We are going to Florida in July (I know, uggh.. the heat!) for her karate competition so we are going to stop at Sea World on our way down.

Big History is this:

https://course.bighistoryproject.com/bhplive#

I wanted to do this before we started another chronological history cycle, Shannon is in the perfect mental place to do a "big picture" study before diving into more detailed study of interesting time periods.  You'll notice that the first several units are very sciency topics, and I had planned to do an Origins study in science this year anyway, so I decided to expand both the science and the history portions of Big History, and let it take up 2+ hours a day, and cover both scientific origins (big bang, stars & elements, solar system & earth, origin & evolution of life) and historical origins over the course of the whole year.  So I've taken Big History as a spine, and added resources to both the history and the science components, so it will be "2 credits" and take up the whole year-of-science and year-of-history.  So, I'm calling it Big History and Big Science as shorthands.

I am so tempted to steal this idea... :leaving:

We're already planning on using this, and that Big History website would dovetail with it so nicely!

BUT, we're really happy with what we're using now, so I doubt I'll change things completely. (Although I do have to say that in looking at the 7th grade thread, you mentioned MP's Poetry/Short Story guide, and I found anthologies of British poetry that look amazing (planning on buying vol 1) and would fit in beautifully with our Middle Ages-Renaissance history AND our LOTR study!)

Why?  Why do I click on things you link?   :lol:

(Now to figure out how to fit this into the schedule.)

:lol: Because you like living dangerously?  ;)  :D

I am so tempted to steal this idea... :leaving:

We're already planning on using this, and that Big History website would dovetail with it so nicely!

BUT, we're really happy with what we're using now, so I doubt I'll change things completely. (Although I do have to say that in looking at the 7th grade thread, you mentioned MP's Poetry/Short Story guide, and I found anthologies of British poetry that look amazing (planning on buying vol 1) and would fit in beautifully with our Middle Ages-Renaissance history AND our LOTR study!)

We were originally going to use the TC course - I have it - but when I look at the website, I see that using those materials will make my life so much easier.  It's directed more toward the high school audience, rather than the adult audience, with shorter lecture videos, levelled readings,  and it has full teacher support materials, writing and project assignments . . . . it makes planning the year a lot easier.  The suggested output is right there, it saves me from having to come up with separate assignments.  We are adding some readings and some outside docos, especially for evolution which I'm going to make a really meaty unit, but it provided a spine that I decided would make the whole thing easier to implement.

Is your boy going into 7th grade, or 8th? I can't remember.  I don't know if you saw my other post, but I decided that the MP Poetry/Short Story guide could easily get pushed back a year, it's pretty intense for a 7th grader.  Right now it's on my optional-for-spring list, and it might get pushed to 8th grade.  It's listed in the TM as appropriate for 7th-12th, with 7th graders needing extra support.  I think that's true.

Well I just ordered the Plague! project for my two to do at the end of this year.  This type of thing is pretty foreign to them but I saw it last year and wished I could use it during their middle ages study this year.  This updated version for homeschool looks do-able for us!  It looks like they suggest 3 weeks so I can do some shuffling to free up 3 weeks at the end of the school year and just after we hit that time period in History!  Looks like a good opportunity to stretch my students.

I'm still not excited about next year though!

Well I just ordered the Plague! project for my two to do at the end of this year.  This type of thing is pretty foreign to them but I saw it last year and wished I could use it during their middle ages study this year.  This updated version for homeschool looks do-able for us!  It looks like they suggest 3 weeks so I can do some shuffling to free up 3 weeks at the end of the school year and just after we hit that time period in History!  Looks like a good opportunity to stretch my students.

I'm still not excited about next year though!

My daughter will be just starting 4th grade in the fall so I think she might be a little too young for this, but I am DEFINITELY getting it for 5th or 6th grade. I really love the looks of everything on their website.

Edited to add: After reading more on their website I'm going to get Plague!. My daughter will be 9 next month and the website suggests age 10 and up. I'm hoping to be able to use it towards the end of next year. I have already blown through my entire budget for next year so I'm listing things on FB to sell so I can buy it lol..

I really need to stop clicking links and reading threads like this one.

W&R. I think I just might want to write my own fables, too, it just sounds fun. I plan to have my daughter do a few as well for fun and make them each a book from Snapfish or Shutterfly with their written work from W&R and some drawings related to that work. My daughter is doing some stories and drawings and poetry this year that I also plan to make into a book, with copies for the Grandparents, usually you can make identical books for a reduced price.

:lol: Because you like living dangerously?  ;)  :D

Is that what I'm doing?  I like it ... it sounds edgy and smart.  Not nearly as derogatory as overzealous or indecisive.   :blush:

I'm curious after spending some time looking at Big History - what would you call this on a high school transcript?  I'm looking at combining this with a more in depth Astronomy study (that will be worth a full credit on it's own) in addition to extending this particular dc's study of evolution.  

World History, I think?  Or just call it Big History but add a descriptive tag?  I'm not really sure, I have no transcript-writing experience! From the teacher info on the site, it sounds like it's designed to be a fully credit-worthy history credit.  Your plan sounds like mine - I'm planning on expanding the science portion and it will be a "2 credit" class altogether, although with a 7th grader credits are irrelevant, other than that I expect we'll spend 2 hours a day on this.

Gotcha...I saw you mention 2 credits and I'd forgotten that your oldest was in middle school. :)  

I'll play around with her transcript and see what I can work out.  She's already got a Western Civilization credit.  This will just be an elective so I guess I can call it what I want. :)  

Thanks! 

OUP Ancients

Mapping the World by Art

Our yet-to-be-determined plan for science | or tbd writing (can't decide which I am more excited about.. I have lots if ideas for both just haven't solidified)

We have been using bits of Big History Project this year and have been enjoying it! Certainly not the full lessons but the videos and discussion points. We have been focusing on this a bit en route to the Ancients.

Some of you have posted great links. Thank you.

My top three.

1) Not having to teach Eldest long division or multiple step multiplication.

2) Youngest being a more of a reader and me being able to just get him to read without me having to be beside him helping.

3) Read alouds whether I read them, Dh reads them, or the boys listen to them

Not for next year. But when my boys are a bit taller I am looking forward to teaching them how to dance west coast swing, or some other style. Right now Youngest is just way to short. We live really close to the dance place and Eldest and Dh go ever other week since they also hold star trek computer gaming events. 

DD is going to give P.S. a try again next year (that's on my NOT looking forward to list)

So....

1. getting to spend 1 on 1 time with my then 8th grader (hoping to solidify some writing skills) we're doing really well with IEW.

2. We found a 1 day a week cottage school nearby (only 30 minute drive!) and there's even a Math tutor (no class though) available. With only 1 kid in classes I might be able to afford it.

3. I'm really looking forward to spending more time with my sisters and their DC.  We can actually do some hiking and other outdoor activities now that we are living so much closer.

I realize none of this is curriculum but since we will mostly be using the next level of our current stuff or outsourcing, I'm really not jazzed up about another year of K12HO (love it, just not thrilled).

6th:

Chemistry: Ellen McHenry's The Elements, plus a variety of books and videos

6th, 4th, and 1st:  

Literature: Beautiful Feet's Teaching Character through Literature, Primary and Intermediate

Geography: Material World, Hungry Planet, Discovering the World of Geography workbooks, Uncle Robert's Geography, First Lessons in Geography

Its probably my last year /cry

for my currently-ten-yo:

Story of Science - probably with the student quest book (i just read the books w my older son)

LOF pre-algebra 

writing, writing and more writing - he needs to get up to speed to go to school in 7th grade (probably)