Menu

Addition Facts system like "Times Tables"

Hello:  I have heard that Times Tables is a great way to learn the multiplication math facts.  I have not used it personally, but I've thought that it would be a good product.

However, I am not quite there yet with my first grader.  She is struggling with her addition math facts.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest a program like "Times Tables" that helps solidify addition math facts.

Thanks,

Denny

I have not come across anything quite like Times Tales or multiplication.com materials for addition/bubtration facts, probably because of the nature of he material.
However, there are materials that incorporate fun 'tricks' or ways of memorizing them: things like 'magic 9's for adding 9+ another number,' or 'monkey in the middle' for adding two numbers that are 2 away on the number line, such as 6+8.
The workbook Two plus Two is not Five has those type of things....but there is a fun set of board, dice, and card games put together by a former teacher called Giggle Math that does the same thing. I think my dd learned most her math facts through them and some RS games. I highly recommend them for young kids and non-workbook loving kids...and just for fun:)
http://www.gigglelearn.com/boardgames.html

What worked best for DD was playing a lot of "Go to the Dump."  You can make your own cards. It's basically a version of "Go Fish" but instead of wanting matches, you want the number that will help you equal 10.

So..if I have a 2, I want to get an 8.

DD loves to play this.

We just do a lot of cuisinaire rod work, paying special attention to the facts up to ten.  Once those are mastered, we work on "making ten" as shown in the www.educationunboxed.com videos.  Then we do more cuisinaire rod work, then we move on to doing www.xtramath.com in addition to our regular math work. 

To be honest, I would not use a product like Times Tales unless your child has a learning disability.  This is just my opinion of course, but using a story line and picture image does not actually teach HOW to do multiplication.  You want your child to know how to calculate a fact in case that fact is forgotten momentarily.  The only way to know how to calculate is lots of practice.  i.e., Times Tales won't teach that X time 4 is the same as X times 2 times 2.  But working with cuisinaire rods or other manipulatives will make that clear and make mental calculation very fast.